Q Acoustics 3050 vs Elac Debut 2.0 B6.2 decision

harpoonk31

Feb 14, 2024
Visit site
As a kind of starting pair of speakers, should I get the Elacs, or the Q Acoustics? Both of these deals are brand new, but at the same price. Do floorstanders need a subwoofer to sound good? If not, I could get an amp like the Cambridge audio AXA25 or the Arcam SA10, which don't have sub out. What do y'all think?

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
As a kind of starting pair of speakers, should I get the Elacs, or the Q Acoustics? Both of these deals are brand new, but at the same price. Do floorstanders need a subwoofer to sound good? If not, I could get an amp like the Cambridge audio AXA25 or the Arcam SA10, which don't have sub out. What do y'all think?
Hi,

1. how big is your room?
2. which music do you kisten?

In general, for a starter I do not recommend to set up more complex system with sub. Invest in more solide speakers with amp that could drive them happily.

BR.

Juraj

Reactions: DougK1

harpoonk31

Feb 14, 2024
Visit site
Hi,

1. how big is your room?
2. which music do you kisten?

In general, for a starter I do not recommend to set up more complex system with sub. Invest in more solide speakers with amp that could drive them happily.

BR.

Juraj
It is a bedroom that isn't small, but not huge either. I listen to vinyl.

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
I'm interested where in the UK these speakers are the same price?
@ R Sounds the 3050i is £469 a pair, Elacs are £329.
Either way, they are both a 'steal' as I assume that this includes sales tax and free shipping?
3050i's in the USA are $1,000 a pair (plus sales tax depending on State) which comes to about 850 quid equivalent.
You'll need to (preferably) budget for good stands if you go for the Elacs.
I like my 3050i's. I sometimes use my sub., but often I don't bother switching it on as the Q's sound fine without it. I'm in a 30' x 15' room with a high sloped ceiling.
In a smaller room, the Elac's with a sub. may be a better choice as you may be able to control the bass to your liking more easily.

harpoonk31

Feb 14, 2024
Visit site
I'm interested where in the UK these speakers are the same price?
@ R Sounds the 3050i is £469 a pair, Elacs are £329.
Either way, they are both a 'steal' as I assume that this includes sales tax and free shipping?
3050i's in the USA are $1,000 a pair (plus sales tax depending on State) which comes to about 850 quid equivalent.
You'll need to (preferably) budget for good stands if you go for the Elacs.
I like my 3050i's. I sometimes use my sub., but often I don't bother switching it on as the Q's sound fine without it. I'm in a 30' x 15' room with a high sloped ceiling.
In a smaller room, the Elac's with a sub. may be a better choice as you may be able to control the bass to your liking more easily.
I looked again at the 3050s on the link I provided and I think that it is just one speaker instead of a pair, which brings me back to the Elacs. Since they are bookshelf speakers, I probably need to use my sub, so now I also probably need an amp with sub out. I'm kinda back to square one here unfortunately :(

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
I looked again at the 3050s on the link I provided and I think that it is just one speaker instead of a pair, which brings me back to the Elacs. Since they are bookshelf speakers, I probably need to use my sub, so now I also probably need an amp with sub out. I'm kinda back to square one here unfortunately :(
The SA10 has Pre Outs, so if your sub is powered (with RCA inputs and crossover adjustment) you could use it with the Arcam?
Decent stands cost 150-200 quid.
Don't know what music you listen to, but if you treat the room a bit and install bass traps in the corners of the ceiling you may be surprised at how much bass you will 'recover' from good bookshelf/stand-mounters.
PS The links you created went to ebay usa sellers. Are you in the USA?
PPS Don't buy hi fi off ebay, unless you like to live a complicated life.

Last edited:

Fandango Andy

If you need a sub or not, is as much about you, and your room as it is about the speakers. There is no substitute for listening to a setup. Most hifi stores will have a listening room where you can audition products. some will have demos you can take home, this is even better.

If you do decide you need a sub, you don't need a sub out on your amp. But that's a conversation for another day!

If you are looking at those amps, I would also consider a Marantz PM6007, but I just like Marantz.

Reactions: DougK1
I was just about to say that. The QA price is for one speaker.

Without knowing your local prices it’s tricky to help from the UK.

Reactions: Stuart83

harpoonk31

Feb 14, 2024
Visit site
If you need a sub or not, is as much about you, and your room as it is about the speakers. There is no substitute for listening to a setup. Most hifi stores will have a listening room where you can audition products. some will have demos you can take home, this is even better.

If you do decide you need a sub, you don't need a sub out on your amp. But that's a conversation for another day!

If you are looking at those amps, I would also consider a Marantz PM6007, but I just like Marantz.
I unfortunately do not have any affordable Hifi stores near me, they mostly sell really high end stuff. I am curious about not needing a sub out on an amp, could you explain?

Fandango Andy

I unfortunately do not have any affordable Hifi stores near me, they mostly sell really high end stuff. I am curious about not needing a sub out on an amp, could you explain?
Firstly, the Marantz I mentioned and lots of other modern amps have pre out/sub out. this is the simplest option.

As to if you need a sub, you will only know after listening. I have two separate setups in my living room. despite relatively small speakers I have never had the need for a sub. I do use a sub on my AV system.

Best advice, start with speakers and an amp then decide if you need a sub.

There are multiple ways of connecting a sub without a pre out. The two simplest, and probably most appropriate for you:

If you had a pre out, you would run a single RCA coaxial cable to the low output on the sub. If you don't have a pre out on the amp, you run speaker cables from the amps speaker binging posts to an RCA Y adaptor, that will then run an RCA to the sub.

If you your sub has a "high level input" you can run the speaker cables directly from the ap to the sub (some high end experts recommend this even if you have a sub out).

In both the above cases you can "piggyback" the binging posts going to your regular speakers, or use a second set of outputs if the amp has them (common on Marantz amps).

For more advice and technical information just google something like "subwoofer without sub out", there will be lots of information.

You mention stores near you are mostly high end, where are you?

harpoonk31

Feb 14, 2024
Visit site
Firstly, the Marantz I mentioned and lots of other modern amps have pre out/sub out. this is the simplest option.

As to if you need a sub, you will only know after listening. I have two separate setups in my living room. despite relatively small speakers I have never had the need for a sub. I do use a sub on my AV system.

Best advice, start with speakers and an amp then decide if you need a sub.

There are multiple ways of connecting a sub without a pre out. The two simplest, and probably most appropriate for you:

If you had a pre out, you would run a single RCA coaxial cable to the low output on the sub. If you don't have a pre out on the amp, you run speaker cables from the amps speaker binging posts to an RCA Y adaptor, that will then run an RCA to the sub.

If you your sub has a "high level input" you can run the speaker cables directly from the ap to the sub (some high end experts recommend this even if you have a sub out).

In both the above cases you can "piggyback" the binging posts going to your regular speakers, or use a second set of outputs if the amp has them (common on Marantz amps).

For more advice and technical information just google something like "subwoofer without sub out", there will be lots of information.

You mention stores near you are mostly high end, where are you?
Twin Cities area Minnesota

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
Stereoland, which is in your area, currently advertises the Rotel A10 and Denon PMA600 which are not high end. I don't know if they have them is stock, but you could call them.
Scout out the Best Buy web site e.g. the Eden Prairie BB 'outlet' currently has the KEF Q150B's in stock for $349 a pair. A couple of your local BB's have Klipsch R-50-M II's in stock for $299 a pair.
Of course, you can't audition stuff at BB but it's easy to return.
The Cambridge Audio AXA25 is available on Amazon (from World Wide Stereo, used 'like new' - probably a return) for $299. WWS is a reliable retailer (I have dealt with them).
You still have not stated what genre of music you primarilly listen to (you just said 'vinyl') or what your your current sub is (powered/passive/inputs available etc.)?
Also, if you primarily use 'vinyl' you haven't mentioned what turntable you are using. Does it have a built in phono pre-amp? If not, depending on what amp you choose you will need one... the AXA25 does not have one.

Last edited:

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
Why would you asume floostand speakers need a subwoofer ?

3050's are very bright sounding not so much the 3000 i

Try a pair of 3020i or 3030i
I don't find the 3050i's to be bright at all.
He didn't 'assume' that floor-standers would need a sub., he just asked "do floorstanders need a subwoofer to sound good"?

harpoonk31

Feb 14, 2024
Visit site
You still have not stated what genre of music you primarilly listen to (you just said 'vinyl') or what your your current sub is (powered/passive/inputs available etc.)?
Also, if you primarily use 'vinyl' you haven't mentioned what turntable you are using. Does it have a built in phono pre-amp? If not, depending on what amp you choose you will need one... the AXA25 does not have one.
I mostly listen to jazz, jazz fusion, rock, soft rock, and pop rock. This is my sub. The AXA25 has a minimum impedance of 8 ohms, and the speakers I want have 6 ohm impedance. I have a Fluance RT81, which does have a built in preamp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts