Need new amp for q acoustics 3050i

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Hi I need a decent amp for q acoustics 3050is, I currently have a Yamaha rs202d which lacks the power and detail of what I want, it's a great little budget amp, sounds gr8 with mission mx3s and a sw150 sub woofer but flat and underpowered with the q acoustics, the Yamaha lied about the 100watts of the rs202 but it's already been flagged and richer sounds did warn me if that but at the time it was suitable regardless, I metered it out of interest and it peaks at 68watts but most recordings especially if streaming say Spotify struggle to hit 50watts, I need 100 watts minimum because of my listening preferences, for those old enough I love the pioneer a400 sound (own one but lacks the connectivity needed) so you know what I like, I need Bluetooth without purchasing another dac and a woofer out would be nice otherwise I bow to your expertise, I know nothing of modern hifi, all the amps I know I like ie the mission Cyrus arent powerful enough, my listening habits go from classical to hard tekno via DJ decks so a 4 speaker output would b nice, I don't like abusing the q acoustics with hard tekno it's a speaker breaker especially with matched beats so navigating to a pair of pioneer monitors is good, I'm looking for the sound of the pioneer a400 for those old enough to remember but with the modern systems if today, I've budgeted 699 for the task, I know it not loads but also know knowledge can buy a better amp when combined, I'm looking at an acram sa20 and very very close to purchasing but thought I'd ask you guys first, my knowledge only lays with older kit now classed as vintage 😆, please help I'm really lost in a sea of things I know nothing about

I‘m puzzled how you measured the Yamaha at 68 watts. It reads as though you used music, whereas you need a sine wave to measure power output.

Reading between the lines you seem to be lacking gain rather than power output, and in any event your QA are very sensitive for a modern design at 91dB so you must either have a very large room and/or play extremely loud.

Maybe you need PA gear rather than Hifi?

Reactions: WayneKerr and Gray

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Maybe I'm a tad deaf but I play loud music especially metal, my room is large and I prefer an amp that doesn't need to be thrashed to achieve a louder volume, the pioneer is loud enough at the 80watts rated yet the Yamaha to inform "nopiano" is nowhere near the power yet rated 100watts, it's a subject raised in other forums and misleading but none of that is my concern, I'm looking for something with 100watts so I can power the w acoustics within range at louder volumes, the acram sa20 is all I can think of up to now, I know about the vast differences in wattage claims to what's actually turned into speaker power I just use the wattage as a guide, I love the Cyrus amps, I had an early one but unfortunately couldn't get enough out of it, all I know is that the old a400 would probably bust the speakers at max yet the Yamaha rs202d hardly wakes up the q acoustics 3050is, it's a nice little amp for the money I'm just wanting something more focused, if I could get a more modern pioneer a400 I would, I agree the modern Cyrus amps will be spellbinding, I run mission mx3s in my spare room and love them, I've had a few different sets of mission speakers in the 90s and loved them all with the a400, I'm basically wanting suggestions for a modern 100watt amp with Bluetooth in the 699 £ ball park that people in the know like, those are my specifications, a woofer out would b nice but not essential, I'm very close to purchasing the acram but I do not know about modem hifi and I'm frightened someone here will know if a better suited amp for the 3050i speakers, I listen to a few tracks like the lumineers "submarine" very loud then sit back into classical....

The cheapest with at least 100 watts that I can think of is the Roksan K3 at £899 on Richer’s VIP price, but to stay under your budget and with a claimed sub-woofer output and Bluetooth the Cambridge CXA61 for £599 should suit.

I agree with the observation about getting too focussed on watts, and repeat my earlier point about not confusing low gain with low power output.

Anyway, RS should be able to demo one or let you buy on a returnable basis so you can decide for yourself.

Reactions: Al ears
Maybe I'm a tad deaf but I play loud music especially metal, my room is large and I prefer an amp that doesn't need to be thrashed to achieve a louder volume, the pioneer is loud enough at the 80watts rated yet the Yamaha to inform "nopiano" is nowhere near the power yet rated 100watts, it's a subject raised in other forums and misleading but none of that is my concern, I'm looking for something with 100watts so I can power the w acoustics within range at louder volumes, the acram sa20 is all I can think of up to now, I know about the vast differences in wattage claims to what's actually turned into speaker power I just use the wattage as a guide, I love the Cyrus amps, I had an early one but unfortunately couldn't get enough out of it, all I know is that the old a400 would probably bust the speakers at max yet the Yamaha rs202d hardly wakes up the q acoustics 3050is, it's a nice little amp for the money I'm just wanting something more focused, if I could get a more modern pioneer a400 I would, I agree the modern Cyrus amps will be spellbinding, I run mission mx3s in my spare room and love them, I've had a few different sets of mission speakers in the 90s and loved them all with the a400, I'm basically wanting suggestions for a modern 100watt amp with Bluetooth in the 699 £ ball park that people in the know like, those are my specifications, a woofer out would b nice but not essential, I'm very close to purchasing the acram but I do not know about modem hifi and I'm frightened someone here will know if a better suited amp for the 3050i speakers, I listen to a few tracks like the lumineers "submarine" very loud then sit back into classical....
Try and look for a Roksan Kandy K2 BT. They have a quoted 130 watts per channel and Blutooth compatibility.

Kutusov

Sep 13, 2021
Visit site
I have those speakers and I'm decided on replacing them. But one of the things I found with them is that you need a bit of power, or probably an amp with good damping factor behind them.

I can tell you what I've driven them with for what is worth. I started with a Rega IO and I never went over the 9 o'clock, it was that loud. But it was like something was missing, the sound was sort of thin. They filled up nicely when I got them an IotaVX stack. More grunt. I later got an Advance Paris A12 which does the same but brings a lot more clarity and definition to the sound. Not a cold, analytical amp, it's actually quite musical. I think it's overkill for the 3050Is because yes, it has a "better quality of power", but the Iota is more than enough and these speaker (IMO) are not brilliant.

I was recommended the NAD C316BEE V2 from someone who triedthe 3050is with lots of amps and knows his stuff. Again, its not so much the max power rating but a big power reserve.

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
I have those speakers and I'm decided on replacing them. But one of the things I found with them is that you need a bit of power, or probably an amp with good damping factor behind them.

I can tell you what I've driven them with for what is worth. I started with a Rega IO and I never went over the 9 o'clock, it was that loud. But it was like something was missing, the sound was sort of thin. They filled up nicely when I got them an IotaVX stack. More grunt. I later got an Advance Paris A12 which does the same but brings a lot more clarity and definition to the sound. Not a cold, analytical amp, it's actually quite musical. I think it's overkill for the 3050Is because yes, it has a "better quality of power", but the Iota is more than enough and these speaker (IMO) are not brilliant.

I was recommended the NAD C316BEE V2 from someone who triedthe 3050is with lots of amps and knows his stuff. Again, its not so much the max power rating but a big power reserve.
THANKYOU, I, like the sensible mortal I am stay with the recommended wattage by q acoustics and they indeed need more than some floorstanders, I have missions in the other room which need far far less, thankyou for the suggestions and taking time to read and comment on what you know, I will look into them, I can't be bothered with the wattage wars I know the rudemants of wattage used to power the amp and what is ran to the speakers after that, I find asking a simple question was returned with argumentative and even a flippant remark, I have had various hifi over the yrs and wattage is a really good guide, thrashing a 50 watt amp into harmonic distortion isn't for me who regularly listens to loud music usually uncomfortable to some loved by others, it's known Yamaha lied about the happy little budget rs202d I actually still like with mission mx3s but I've saved for a main system and want something more focussed, the acram sa20 is on offer but now I actually have some advice off someone who knows these speakers need a higher wattage will look at them instead, I can stretch my budget depending on how much, I'm a humble guy and a tad annoyed at some of the remarks, I won't qoute and I make no assumptions over power needed I will always go off manafacturer suggestion and personal experience, the reasons ppl do get confused with wattage in the first place is because of the 90s wattage wars where all in one units would state power draw in watts over actual amp power output, Sony, Aiwa etc etc with their 500 plus watt systems muddied the water, I know I need 100watts it's not a confusion it's a fact, I too am a little disappointed with the 3050i but the reviews have led me to believe there's more to be had, regardless I need a more focussed amp, that's just WATT I want

Reactions: Kutusov

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
I've visited richer sounds and after a demo of a few amps come away with roskan k3 at 140watts to the speakers, the sound was just so so good and a fair chunk off the price convinced me to go ahead, there's such clarity and detail, the power is effortlessly delivered with such punch, honest I'd run out of buzz words to explain this amp what hifi do better themselves, I demoed it with guns and roses "welcome to the jungle" and David grey as it's all they had I like, it lacks Bluetooth using the bt button for a user choice but I forgive it for that, it's definitely what I was looking for, I tried a Denon but it just was night and day, I forget the model, it's more than I wanted to pay but I suppose it's something that will pay back everytime I listen to it, i will be rigging up the system deck 9 when it arrives Monday to see where the mm output puts it, thankyou again for your help "kustusof" etc

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
The cheapest with at least 100 watts that I can think of is the Roksan K3 at £899 on Richer’s VIP price, but to stay under your budget and with a claimed sub-woofer output and Bluetooth the Cambridge CXA61 for £599 should suit.

I agree with the observation about getting too focussed on watts, and repeat my earlier point about not confusing low gain with low power output.

Anyway, RS should be able to demo one or let you buy on a returnable basis so you can decide for yourself.

Thankyou I've purchased the roskan k3 at richer sounds Middlesbrough after a demo, it's 140watts at the speakers and sounds beautiful, just what I was looking for, very punchy and detailed, out of what CDs on offer I went with guns and roses "welcome to the jungle" and loved it, for whatever reason the onboard Bluetooth is no longer available instead the bt button is now used as a user programmable preference, I'm not sure what streamer to get but like the reviews of the ifizen blue for my Spotify, I'm staying with the Marantz cd player I have and also the system deck 9 which I need a new suitable cartridge and belt for, I won't be bothering with the wharfdale sw150 sub with this setup using line inputs rather putting that in the sitting room with the mission mx3s it compliments very well through the Yamaha rs202d which is a nice little system, but thankyou again for your help

Thankyou I've purchased the roskan k3 at richer sounds Middlesbrough after a demo, it's 140watts at the speakers and sounds beautiful, just what I was looking for, very punchy and detailed, out of what CDs on offer I went with guns and roses "welcome to the jungle" and loved it, for whatever reason the onboard Bluetooth is no longer available instead the bt button is now used as a user programmable preference, I'm not sure what streamer to get but like the reviews of the ifizen blue for my Spotify, I'm staying with the Marantz cd player I have and also the system deck 9 which I need a new suitable cartridge and belt for, I won't be bothering with the wharfdale sw150 sub with this setup using line inputs rather putting that in the sitting room with the mission mx3s it compliments very well through the Yamaha rs202d which is a nice little system, but thankyou again for your help
I’m glad you’re happy with the Roksan. It’s a billy bargain at that offer price.

There’s nothing like an over-specced amp to hear speakers at their best. I took my Primare (rated at 120wpc, but tested at 160wpc) to my Dad’s a couple of years ago and used his 40 year old KEF Coda 3s! They sounded really good.

Kutusov

Sep 13, 2021
Visit site
, I'm not sure what streamer to get but like the reviews of the ifizen blue for my Spotify,
You don't have a DAC already, do you? Streamers are sort of a mystery to me, I somehow miss the point of having one. I even asked about them here once because I'm sure I'm missing something. I just plug a PC to my DAC via USB.

What I do know about streamers is how important the software is. I've been reading good things about the Wiim Pro + (I think that's the model?), both on software and hardware. It's a little bit more expensive than the Zen but way less than a lot of them. If you already own a DAC, then I guess you could plug the Wiim Mini into it bypassing the crappy DAC inside.

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
The roskan has a good dac inbuilt, but they removed the Bluetooth due to an apparent chip shortage which personally think is the true reason if richer sounds price reduction which sucks as it was apparently good, I need a Bluetooth receiver and it's just as easy to get a streamer that has both, apparently they are superior according to various online sources, I will look at your suggestion it saves me time in finding one, I was looking at the ifizen blue V2, both that and the original have 5 star reviews for the money, I've found them 2nd hand at 109 £ which is the same'ish as the ifizen, you sound like you know computing so basically streamers have a bigger bandwidth, it doesn't shrink the data transfer like Bluetooth, it's more cd like as it's lossless audio without any file info taken away, saying that Bluetooth has come along vastly since this was the case, I've since had a rethink and might just get a hard wire connection from the phone to the amp direct via a usb c to audio out, the reason I'm not to keen on that is the port wear incurred on constantly connecting it multiple times a day, I broke one in the past, for arguments sake I tried a modern ugreen Bluetooth receiver on a hifi once it was 24.99 and sounded good, infact it sounded really good I was surprised, I'm listening to the lumineers "stuborn love" it's so so good through the 3050i, I'm just over half volume on the k3 but some of the power is sapped from the Bluetooth receiver as it's just a cheaper one for now, I'm tapping my fingers away just where I wanted to be, it's what I was looking for such a clean effortless sound, my girlfriend has even came out of the sitting room to listen to it 🙂, I've wanted a system like this for so long always going for the more budget range which I also love, the k3 is peanuts to some it's a relative to the person but it was a big buy for me, I usually look around the 250 to 450 mark (there's lovely kit out there in that remit) but I fancied treating myself, now I need a suitable replacement cartridge for the system deck 9, don't suppose you have any suggestions for that ? I'm sticking with the Marantz cd player a favourite of mine, it's older but I've always liked it, I've never played a record for years but they are so much more available now at acceptable prices on ebay etc, I have plenty of hardcore etc from my years as a DJ 😂 but nothing I like to listen to, they are printing all sorts now decent quality i'm assured by a friend, again thank you for the suggestion I'm looking into it now as it goes

I've wanted a system like this for so long always going for the more budget range which I also love, the k3 is peanuts to some it's a relative to the person but it was a big buy for me, I usually look around the 250 to 450 mark (there's lovely kit out there in that remit) but I fancied treating myself, now I need a suitable replacement cartridge for the system deck 9, don't suppose you have any suggestions for that ?
Nobody ever regretted buying a good piece of Hifi once the credit card was repaid!. And, yes, there are indeed budget bargains - the skill is finding the right ones!

(In 1997 I bought a whole system as my previous one was burgled. With what seemed like a generous insurance payout plus some savings I managed to get something beyond what I’d hoped for. I had it for over twenty years, and it was a challenge to replace, but looked at over that time frame is was almost a bargain at about £1.25/day)

What cartridge have you got currently, and what arm are you using? And budget?

Last edited:

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Indeed, a complete block of text with no paragraphs is a nightmare for me or any moderators to read through.... :)
Unfortunately it is becoming more and more prevalent especially from our Foreign members
My apologies it's not the lack of literary education it's the fact I'm on a smartphone that seems restructure my text

Kutusov

Sep 13, 2021
Visit site
The roskan has a good dac inbuilt, but they removed the Bluetooth
Are you sure about that? I was looking at the back of the K3 and there's no digital inputs... there's no mention of a DAC on their website also. I might be looking at the wrong one. If you have an optical in, I still say you should at least take a look at the Wiim mini

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
Hi I need a decent amp for q acoustics 3050is, I currently have a Yamaha rs202d which lacks the power and detail of what I want, it's a great little budget amp, sounds gr8 with mission mx3s and a sw150 sub woofer but flat and underpowered with the q acoustics, the Yamaha lied about the 100watts of the rs202 but it's already been flagged and richer sounds did warn me if that but at the time it was suitable regardless, I metered it out of interest and it peaks at 68watts but most recordings especially if streaming say Spotify struggle to hit 50watts, I need 100 watts minimum because of my listening preferences, for those old enough I love the pioneer a400 sound (own one but lacks the connectivity needed) so you know what I like, I need Bluetooth without purchasing another dac and a woofer out would be nice otherwise I bow to your expertise, I know nothing of modern hifi, all the amps I know I like ie the mission Cyrus arent powerful enough, my listening habits go from classical to hard tekno via DJ decks so a 4 speaker output would b nice, I don't like abusing the q acoustics with hard tekno it's a speaker breaker especially with matched beats so navigating to a pair of pioneer monitors is good, I'm looking for the sound of the pioneer a400 for those old enough to remember but with the modern systems if today, I've budgeted 699 for the task, I know it not loads but also know knowledge can buy a better amp when combined, I'm looking at an acram sa20 and very very close to purchasing but thought I'd ask you guys first, my knowledge only lays with older kit now classed as vintage 😆, please help I'm really lost in a sea of things I know nothing about
I have a discontinued 44W Onkyo 9010 and according to What Hi-Fi they are capable of driving the 3050i speakers.

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Nobody ever regretted buying a good piece of Hifi once the credit card was repaid! And, yes, there are indeed budget bargains - the skill is finding the right ones!

(In 1997 I bought a whole system as my previous one was burgled. With what seemed like a generous insurance payout plus some savings I managed to get something beyond what I’d hoped for. I had it for over twenty years, and it was a challenge to replace, but looked at over that time frame is was almost a bargain at about £1.25/day)

What cartridge have you got currently, and what arm are you using? And budget?
Hi I will reply fully on what's on it when I get home, the system deck 900 is still all original, apparently it came with a Linn Basik Plus tonearm and a Linn Basik MM cartridge but I know the cartridge was changed once by my father yrs ago, knowing my father it will be the same.
I'm looking for something budget as vinyl is only something I will use once in a while as CDs are my main source of music, the deck has been in storage for a number of yrs but I remember it being a lovely sound as a teenager.
It has sentimental value being from my father so it's important I get it running, judging by the reviews it's a decent bit of kit I even still have the pioneer a400 it used to run to, unfortunately the old mission 763i gave up not long ago, I only have limited knowledge on dj decks so don't know what to look at other than what's compatible physically, I know like anything else hifi it's what compliments each other rather than what just fits together

Reactions: nopiano

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Are you sure about that? I was looking at the back of the K3 and there's no digital inputs... there's no mention of a DAC on their website also. I might be looking at the wrong one. If you have an optical in, I still say you should at least take a look at the Wiim mini
Hi yes the dac which is separate, it got mixed reviews and is expensive, what hifi gave it a 3 star where as the k3amp is a 5star rating, I am looking at the wiim mini but it seems to lack the L&R wired channel output to the amp favouring a jack or usb.
I very near just getting the either the ifizen of the wiim pro as it has audio L&R out, so im using a ugreen 20 £ Bluetooth reciever at the moment and dare I say it sounds ok, there's a volume drop as is the way with some recievers (not all) but for the 20 £ payed yrs ago it's not bad, I'm still a cd man for my main source of music, I will be going into vinyl again once I have the system deck up running but only for rare occasion, thankyou again for your suggestions, it's out of either the ifizen or wiim pro (on offer at the moment) 🙂🙂

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts