New Amp Suggestions

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

rainsoothe

Hi. 1 - try to audition if you can, I know it sounds like "no advice", but it's actually "THE" advice.

Secondly, as you can see in my signature, I use a Schiit Mani phonostage in a system that's way above it's corresponding budget, and I think it's a killer phonostage (at least aided by the external PSU) and I heavily prefer it to the ones in the Rega amps, so if you can, and listen to a lot of vinyl, stick with it.

3 - those Q Acoustics you have are a bit rolled off in the treble, so you might need an amp with some bite. If you can find one or can save some more, a Cambridge Audio CXA 61 might be the perfect ticket, for the speaker matching on the one hand, and probably superior dac to the one in the Wiim.

4. Other amps I would recommend (if they fit your current/near future budget) and that would match your Q Acoustics are:
- Naim Nait 5si (or XS 2 preferably)
- Roksan Kandy K2
- Musical Fidelity m2si
- Rega Elex R
- (MAYBE!!!) a first gen Naim Supernait (this also has a decent dac, and a lot of energy for music, but it doesn't do the "hi-fi" stuff, if you're into that kind of thing).

Again, look for an amp that has a bit of energy in the highs and good control on the lows (Naim are great at this, but they are indeed pretty expensive). I, for one, would stay away from Arcam (I love Arcam, but they pair better with livelier speakers), Yamaha etc. (I use their HS7 studio monitors in my desktop setup and love them, but imo their amps sound pretty wimpy. Listen to a Naim, and you'll understand what I mean). And I have a feeling a Cambridge Audio CXA 61 (or even a 81 if it fits your budget, but I prefer the 61 actually) might be just the ticket.

Good luck!

P.S.: oh, and a Rogue Audio Sphinx v3 might also be worth a shot, and should come close to your budget on the used market, since it's US made (or even Canadian?)

Leon74

Apr 8, 2024
Visit site
Hi. 1 - try to audition if you can, I know it sounds like "no advice", but it's actually "THE" advice.
It is indeed, even a "must" I would say, especially if you plan to spend a lot of money. But do the auditioning in your own environment. If you listen to a device/speakers in another room than in your own house where you inted to use it, you may find that when you come home the sound is disappointing because of different accoustics.

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
I am considering a new amp. What would you recommend, or would you recommend sticking with what I have?

Setup is:
Amp: Yahama S-N602
Streamer and DAC: Wiim Pro Plus (I use the internal DAC of this instead of the Yamaha)
Turntable: Rega Planar 2 going into a Mani 2 phono stage (I use this rather than the phono stage of the Yamaha)
Speakers: Q Acoustics concept 30's
I have a subwoofer.

I want to spend less than $1000 CDN or about $750 USD on the amp. I don't need a DAC, Bluetooth, or phono stage, but I do want volume control and a remote would be a bonus.
I am willing to buy used and expect to really.

Any suggestions?
I'd need a CD player ;); but yes, I recommend sticking with what you have.

Reactions: Leon74

speedthing

Apr 2, 2024
Visit site
Well ive had a couple of the big Yams the natural sound ones could never get the sound I wanted from them sounded a bit shallow in fact ive have got a Yam AS-201 up for sale ive run it side by side with my Arcam and the Yam is way thinner on bass.

Last edited:
Reactions: twinkletoes

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Well ive had a couple of the big Yams the natural sound ones could never get the sound I wanted from them sounded a bit shallow in fact ive have got a Yam AS-201 up for sale ive run it side by side with my Arcam and the Yam is way thinner on bass.
Yamaha is lively with a somewhat clear sound ( wouldn’t say it’s meaty) so needs balancing with meaty and tonally warm speakers, wharfdal Lintons spring to mind, but like you it’s a sound Ive never much warmed to. Though I did have some success back in the day with mission 703s and a Yamaha want to say A3. It sounded massive

speedthing

Apr 2, 2024
Visit site
Yes Twinkletoes i know what you mean think my issues could of been with my speakers MA bronze 6 ive seen a few threads where people have said Yams dont like them tho they seem to be a good pairing for the Arcams. I do listen to the really heavy suff ive really only found a few Amps that hit the EQ i like the old Reaga Mira the clamshell one and the Arcams. But i can say i really hated the Arcam A85 it just sounded shocking in my setup for some reason.

Reactions: twinkletoes

rainsoothe

Yes Twinkletoes i know what you mean think my issues could of been with my speakers MA bronze 6 ive seen a few threads where people have said Yams dont like them tho they seem to be a good pairing for the Arcams. I do listen to the really heavy suff ive really only found a few Amps that hit the EQ i like the old Reaga Mira the clamshell one and the Arcams. But i can say i really hated the Arcam A85 it just sounded shocking in my setup for some reason.
No, it's the Yamahas, they suck at bass definition and... Well... Purposefulness :p

@OP: I forgot to suggest Hegel, a H80 or H90 should also be brilliant for you.

gasolin

Where is blacksabbath25 ?

Where is blacksabbath25 ?

His profile suggests he hasn’t logged in since 2022. I think I’ve seen him on other forums.

Reactions: DougK1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts