Q Acoustics M20 and external DAC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
The external DAC the Analogue outout can be fed into the speakers directly thus avoiding the duplication of the digital signal,
Totally agree with PC noise interference. In terms of streaming and music file storage, the DAC Streamer option will effectively make the PC redundant.
I think WiiM suggestion is a great idea, though the DAC output is mediocre, I would suggest adding one of the budget Toppings or SMSL with the WiiM.

View attachment 5117
Feed the wim’s toslink straight in to the speaker by passing the wims internal dac. Or is that what you mean already?

The pc would act as a “window” to what ever streaming platform you use (so not redundant). Weather that be a Spotify tidal or other streaming platform/upnp front end controlling the speakers. The wim is just acting as an end point.

Using toslink would pretty much negate any noise.

Come to think of it, OP just switch to toslink from the computer it might give you an up lift in sound removing interference from the computer somewhat. Probable cost 3-6quid for a cable from Amazon

Reactions: Jasonovich

WayneKerr

Come to think of it, OP just switch to toslink from the computer it might give you an up lift in sound removing interference from the computer somewhat. Probable cost 3-6quid for a cable from AmAmazon
Just a question. OP is already feeding a digital signal to the speakers, would a change of digital feed actually improve anything?
It is a cheap solution so is worth a punt (y)

Needle Static

Jun 30, 2022
Visit site
The problem with adding an external dac is that you could be converting twice, depending on how the q acoustics work so in my mind a bit pointless to add an external dac. Before doing this shoot the manufacture an email to find out if the RCA’s are converted to the digital domain.

A far more likely problem, Pc’s are notoriously “noisy” environments for streaming music leading to less than desirable sound.

The usb cable might not be the greatest and lacks a little shielding, you haven’t got to go crazy here, if it hasn’t got one try one of those little magnets wrapped round the cables. They can help clear up any RF noise. But will most likely not change a thing.

If it were me I’d try a cheap wim mini/or a second hand chromecast audio first, then add some isolation stands to your desk.

Just my guess take it for what it’s worth
Thanks Jason and Twinkle, some great things said there.
I didn't even know about the WiiM mini. I also had to look up about Toppings etc. This combo could be awesome, the only problem is that I have a huge collection of music files, and they are sitting in a Ethernet NAS.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Feed the wim’s toslink straight in to the speaker by passing the wims internal dac. Or is that what you mean already?

The pc would act as a “window” to what ever streaming platform you use (so not redundant). Weather that be a Spotify tidal or other streaming platform/upnp front end controlling the speakers. The wim is just acting as an end point.

Using toslink would pretty much negate any noise.

Come to think of it, OP just switch to toslink from the computer it might give you an up lift in sound removing interference from the computer somewhat. Probable cost 3-6quid for a cable from Amazon
Actually I never thought of that, you make a valid point, Silly Billy I am, of course the DAC on the speakers should be the preferred option to WiiM DAC, so toslink output from the streamer is the most cost effective route.

Needle Static

Jun 30, 2022
Visit site
Actually I never thought of that, you make a valid point, Silly Billy I am, of course the DAC on the speakers should be the preferred option to WiiM DAC, so toslink output from the streamer is the most cost effective route.
I can also use the Spotify desktop app to play directly to the speakers, although I don't currently have a HD subscription to see how that sounds. Maybe I should try and see how that, or Tidal, sounds?

Reactions: Revolutions

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
I can also use the Spotify desktop app to play directly to the speakers, although I don't currently have a HD subscription to see how that sounds. Maybe I should try and see how that, or Tidal, sounds?
I found Qobuz easy to use as the interface borrows heavily from Spotify’s layout. And there are tools to easily copy over your saved albums & playlists. My one complaint was that he app is fairly slow to load pages & streaming needs a consistent internet connection. I found it frustrating to use with 5G & on the wifi underground- intermittent music, far slower than Spotify for streaming music with poor connection.

Regarding sound quality, using a WiiM mini with optical into my amp, the difference between 320kbps on Spotify & CD/lossless on Qobuz wasn’t huge. Aside from a volume boost, I noticed slightly more clarity with cymbals etc. But, honestly, I don’t notice not having better sound at 320kpbs.

For ease of use vs potential gains in quality, I stuck with Spotify.

Reactions: Needle Static

landco

Aug 26, 2023
Visit site
I am mainly listening to music playing media player classic on my PC through a USB connection to the Q Acoustics M20 Speakers. The sound is good, but I don't feel it is exceptional. Regardless of that, which might just be a wrong impression on my side, would things improve if I added an external DAC between the PC and the speakers? If so, which one would you mention?
The sound quality is affected by your room and the location of the acoustics, the DAC is very weakly affected, almost zero

Reactions: Needle Static

landco

Aug 26, 2023
Visit site
Hi,

yes you can.

i have the M20s fed by a Node into the rca analogue in. Playing Qobuz and Radio Paradise Lossless FLac, there is a definite improvement verses the same transmitted via Bluetooth or airplay. I also have a smart TV connected with optical spdif and YouTube, movies etc sound very good to my ears. Imho the M20s are excellent at their price point.

I have a relatively high end system as well and have never enjoyed files played from a computer as they are notoriously noisy with iffy sound cards and a usb cable can transmit it as they are also a power lead. A node, Wiim mini pro or similar will certainly enhance enjoyment with regards to streaming but I don't have stored files so cannot comment.

Fwiiw, I use Audioquest Carbon usb cable in the main system and only worth the cost with commensurate equipment. You might find that Atacama insulating or other gel pads are worth a £16 investment for use on a desk.
hahaha you are a dreamer

Gray

Dreaming about what exactly? A post to advise the OP as have direct experience of his question. I was a regular poster a decade ago until the forum was ruined by the inane, the trolls and serial naysayers. I'll give it another five years and try again. See you joined two days ago. You need to up your game, imho.
FYI, my main system is an Innuos pulse, Musical Fidelity M6X DAC connected by aforementioned USB. A Luxman 507 amp and Dali Epicon 6 speakers. Do I dream of anything better? Nope. Bye
....and there I was thinking your user name was the perfect choice of a cable non -believer 🙂

landco

Aug 26, 2023
Visit site
Dreaming about what exactly? A post to advise the OP as have direct experience of his question. I was a regular poster a decade ago until the forum was ruined by the inane, the trolls and serial naysayers. I'll give it another five years and try again. See you joined two days ago. You need to up your game, imho.
FYI, my main system is an Innuos pulse, Musical Fidelity M6X DAC connected by aforementioned USB. A Luxman 507 amp and Dali Epicon 6 speakers. Do I dream of anything better? Nope. Bye
Your comment contains a lot of audiophile prejudice based on ignorance

BernardWilliamson

BANNED
Aug 25, 2023
Visit site
I am mainly listening to music playing media player classic on my PC through a USB connection to the Q Acoustics M20 Speakers. The sound is good, but I don't feel it is exceptional. Regardless of that, which might just be a wrong impression on my side, would things improve if I added an external DAC between the PC and the speakers? If so, which one would you mention? Nox Vidmate VLC
If your PC is a Mac or has an excellent soundcard then maybe not.

Last edited:

landco

Aug 26, 2023
Visit site
I am mainly listening to music playing media player classic on my PC through a USB connection to the Q Acoustics M20 Speakers. The sound is good, but I don't feel it is exceptional. Regardless of that, which might just be a wrong impression on my side, would things improve if I added an external DAC between the PC and the speakers? If so, which one would you mention?
No, the sound of your speakers depends on your room and the placement of acoustics in it, it makes no sense to change one DAC to another

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts