Q Acoustics M20 and external DAC

Needle Static

Jun 30, 2022
Visit site
I am mainly listening to music playing media player classic on my PC through a USB connection to the Q Acoustics M20 Speakers. The sound is good, but I don't feel it is exceptional. Regardless of that, which might just be a wrong impression on my side, would things improve if I added an external DAC between the PC and the speakers? If so, which one would you mention?

Needle Static

Jun 30, 2022
Visit site
Any idea on the quality of the files you are listening too?

How are your speakers set up? On stands, a desk, how far apart etc.
Its usually 320 mp3s or FLACs. The speakers are on the desk. I know they are not in the ideal position. just wondering if an external DAC would overlap the speakers' internal one. Lots of smart arses here though

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I am mainly listening to music playing media player classic on my PC through a USB connection to the Q Acoustics M20 Speakers. The sound is good, but I don't feel it is exceptional. Regardless of that, which might just be a wrong impression on my side, would things improve if I added an external DAC between the PC and the speakers? If so, which one would you mention?
Definitely recommend an external DAC, if you're not looking to over extend your budget, you can consider Topping E30 or E50, also the SMSL SU1 or iFi Zen.
If you have a more Flexible Budget Topping D70 velvet or SMSL SU9 or my own personal favourite (I own) EverSolo DAC-Z8, great interface, great sound and has two USB inputs, which means you can have your PC connected as well as an additional Streamer for future upgrades.
If your budget is at the top end you could consider the Topping D70 Pro Sabre, Chord Mojo, Denafrips, SMSL SU10 or if you're toying with the idea of a combined DAC/Streamer there's the EverSolo DMP-A6 or Matrix Audio i-4

Last edited:

WayneKerr

I had no knowledge of these so thought they were just powered speakers, they're active so have their own DAC. Not sure what to suggest now, maybe a "better" external DAC might be the way to go. Suppose you could try a decent quality USB cable too, though I'm not a cable believer I do believe in well constructed cables.

Failing this a good headphone rig would be the next budget friendly option, (HD560S get rave reviews by users).

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Its usually 320 mp3s or FLACs. The speakers are on the desk. I know they are not in the ideal position. just wondering if an external DAC would overlap the speakers' internal one. Lots of smart arses here though
Some decent speaker shock absorbers should negate any unwanted vibrations from your desk.
Check out Aliexpress 😊

Attachments

• 9952595982016929238.jpg
    9952595982016929238.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Needle Static

Messiah

Did you demo these beforehand or just buy them?

Have you tried the Bluetooth connection and did it sound any better/worse? If not, try it just to compare.

I know you have got them to use them on your desk but maybe try them in a more traditional position on something solid. Do they sound any better?

Could be their sound is simply not for you and may need to look at alternatives.

Cannot see a different DAC really making a massive difference overall, certainly not compared to speaker placement or altering the settings on the back. (If you can borrow one it would be worth trying just to see).

Last edited:

Needle Static

Jun 30, 2022
Visit site
The speakers are awesome. Definitely a step up from my previous monitors. I guess I've build my expectations too high, reading the 5 star review on the magazine, and I've just always wanted to ask them if amplified speakers like these can be improved even further with an external DAC.
Thank you all for your suggestions.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I’d check the quality of your usb cable. That’s likely to be the weak link here.
Yes a good design and construction cable, which is cost effective such as the Supra is worth replacing the generic one.
Its worth the OP experimenting before embarking on a more costly project, such as a new external DAC.
Also for small costs, speaker shock absorbers might help, OP worth exploring also.

Needle Static

Jun 30, 2022
Visit site
Yes a good design and construction cable, which is cost effective such as the Supra is worth replacing the generic one.
Its worth the OP experimenting before embarking on a more costly project, such as a new external DAC.
Also for small costs, speaker shock absorbers might help, OP worth exploring also.
Thank you. I was just looking at Supra cables. Swedish company, right? Personally in the case of USB cables, I would expect it to make a very small difference, due to better shielding, but now I am curious to try one. Also, what is OP?

WayneKerr

Up until a year ago I was using a bog standard USB printer cable in my setup, I only decided to change it because I wanted matching sleeving on my cables. Wasn't expecting to hear a difference and I didn't.
And no I'm not starting another cable debate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Revolutions

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Up until a year ago I was using a bog standard printer cable in my setup, I only decided to change it because I wanted matching sleeving on my cables. Wasn't expecting to hear a difference and I didn't.
And no I'm not starting another cable debate.
Not sure how you’d hear a sound difference through your printer?

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
The problem with adding an external dac is that you could be converting twice, depending on how the q acoustics work so in my mind a bit pointless to add an external dac. Before doing this shoot the manufacture an email to find out if the RCA’s are converted to the digital domain.

A far more likely problem, Pc’s are notoriously “noisy” environments for streaming music leading to less than desirable sound.

The usb cable might not be the greatest and lacks a little shielding, you haven’t got to go crazy here, if it hasn’t got one try one of those little magnets wrapped round the cables. They can help clear up any RF noise. But will most likely not change a thing.

If it were me I’d try a cheap wim mini/or a second hand chromecast audio first, then add some isolation stands to your desk.

Just my guess take it for what it’s worth

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
The problem with adding an external dac is that you could be converting twice, depending on how the q acoustics work so in my mind a bit pointless to add an external dac. Before doing this shoot the manufacture an email to find out if the RCA’s are converted to the digital domain.

A far more likely problem, Pc’s are notoriously “noisy” environments for streaming music leading to less than desirable sound.

The usb cable might not be the greatest and lacks a little shielding, you haven’t got to go crazy here, if it hasn’t got one try one of those little magnets wrapped round the cables. They can help clear up any RF noise. But will most likely not change a thing.

If it were me I’d try a cheap wim mini/or a second hand chromecast audio first, then add some isolation stands to your desk.

Just my guess take it for what it’s worth
The external DAC the Analogue outout can be fed into the speakers directly thus avoiding the duplication of the digital signal,
Totally agree with PC noise interference. In terms of streaming and music file storage, the DAC Streamer option will effectively make the PC redundant.
I think WiiM suggestion is a great idea, though the DAC output is mediocre, I would suggest adding one of the budget Toppings or SMSL with the WiiM.

1693085813121.png

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts