Need new amp for q acoustics 3050i

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
The roskan has a good dac inbuilt, but they removed the Bluetooth due to an apparent chip shortage which personally think is the true reason if richer sounds price reduction which sucks as it was apparently good, I need a Bluetooth receiver and it's just as easy to get a streamer that has both, apparently they are superior according to various online sources, I will look at your suggestion it saves me time in finding one, I was looking at the ifizen blue V2, both that and the original have 5 star reviews for the money, I've found them 2nd hand at 109 £ which is the same'ish as the ifizen, you sound like you know computing so basically streamers have a bigger bandwidth, it doesn't shrink the data transfer like Bluetooth, it's more cd like as it's lossless audio without any file info taken away, saying that Bluetooth has come along vastly since this was the case, I've since had a rethink and might just get a hard wire connection from the phone to the amp direct via a usb c to audio out, the reason I'm not to keen on that is the port wear incurred on constantly connecting it multiple times a day, I broke one in the past, for arguments sake I tried a modern ugreen Bluetooth receiver on a hifi once it was 24.99 and sounded good, infact it sounded really good I was surprised, I'm listening to the lumineers "stuborn love" it's so so good through the 3050i, I'm just over half volume on the k3 but some of the power is sapped from the Bluetooth receiver as it's just a cheaper one for now, I'm tapping my fingers away just where I wanted to be, it's what I was looking for such a clean effortless sound, my girlfriend has even came out of the sitting room to listen to it 🙂, I've wanted a system like this for so long always going for the more budget range which I also love, the k3 is peanuts to some it's a relative to the person but it was a big buy for me, I usually look around the 250 to 450 mark (there's lovely kit out there in that remit) but I fancied treating myself, now I need a suitable replacement cartridge for the system deck 9, don't suppose you have any suggestions for that ? I'm sticking with the Marantz cd player a favourite of mine, it's older but I've always liked it, I've never played a record for years but they are so much more available now at acceptable prices on ebay etc, I have plenty of hardcore etc from my years as a DJ 😂 but nothing I like to listen to, they are printing all sorts now decent quality i'm assured by a friend, again thank you for the suggestion I'm looking into it now as it goes
Congrats. I've always been quite a fan of Roksan amplification, they are always consistently good regardless of power output.

Enjoy.

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Hi I will reply fully on what's on it when I get home, the system deck 900 is still all original, apparently it came with a Linn Basik Plus tonearm and a Linn Basik MM cartridge but I know the cartridge was changed once by my father yrs ago, knowing my father it will be the same.
I'm looking for something budget as vinyl is only something I will use once in a while as CDs are my main source of music, the deck has been in storage for a number of yrs but I remember it being a lovely sound as a teenager.
It has sentimental value being from my father so it's important I get it running, judging by the reviews it's a decent bit of kit I even still have the pioneer a400 it used to run to, unfortunately the old mission 763i gave up not long ago, I only have limited knowledge on dj decks so don't know what to look at other than what's compatible physically, I know like anything else hifi it's what compliments each other rather than what just fits together
Hi I've looked at the deck and there's no markings at all, I know the arm is standard but the needle I'm just not sure, my father can't remember if course 😶 other than it's a replacement, any help would be good in a replacement, the tone arm I intend on keeping as it's in new condition.
I've posted a few photos just to confirm the fitting etc

Attachments

• PXL_20231003_080800712.jpg
    PXL_20231003_080800712.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20231003_080738912.jpg
    PXL_20231003_080738912.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20231003_080731232.jpg
    PXL_20231003_080731232.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20231003_080749367.jpg
    PXL_20231003_080749367.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: plastic penguin

Kutusov

Sep 13, 2021
Visit site
Hi yes the dac which is separate, it got mixed reviews and is expensive, what hifi gave it a 3 star where as the k3amp is a 5star rating, I am looking at the wiim mini but it seems to lack the L&R wired channel output to the amp favouring a jack or usb.
But that's what I mean by having a DAC, it's a digital to analogue converter, those left right RCA cables are analogue, meaning the digital to analougue conversion is done before the amp. If there is a DAC on the Rocksan, it needs to be fed a digital signal, so it then can do the conversion. Toslink, spdif, I2S, AES/EBU... The amp should receive just 1s and 0s from a single cable.

I would look into this as I still think you need a streamer with a DAC, just a bluetooth receiver like the wiim mini won't work. I was also looking at the back of the iFi stream, that only has digital outs meant to be connected to a DAC.

Hi I've looked at the deck and there's no markings at all, I know the arm is standard but the needle I'm just not sure, my father can't remember if course 😶 other than it's a replacement, any help would be good in a replacement, the tone arm I intend on keeping as it's in new condition.
I've posted a few photos just to confirm the fitting etc
Yes, it’s a Rega arm which is very good and can accommodate any cartridge you’re likely to choose. I can’t identify the cartridge from those pics, but it looks a bit like the basic Audio Technica that today is called the 3600. Really need a pic from straight ahead. (see example attached)

Looks like it all needs a careful and thorough clean. The belt might need changing too.

View: https://imgur.com/yOliCpR

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Yes it's dusty 🙂 and does indeed need a new belt, you certainly know your stuff as my father remembered it is indeed an audio technica, it was put away and not touched for yrs, he pulled it out when I started building this system, it's a bit of a pain to me having to change the belt for varying speeds everytime and not having a selection switch.

Unfortunately the roskan amp went faulty to my horror but thanks to richer sounds it's being replaced today at 1pm at home, I found out not only has roskan took the Bluetooth away (chip shortage) they have also took it's standby capability away because it didn't meet specifications, I can confirm this, the box mentions the Bluetooth not being available but nothing about the standby, mine simply refused to switch on the next morning, obviously connections etc were ruled out and power was into the amp as the light was on but nothing, I do hope it's not a fault all these amps now have since roskan started messing with them as I fell in love with the sound, the net mentions a few ppl who've encountered similar problems which worries me, I really don't want to start the hunt again, what's strange as the q acoustics were also faulty and had to be exchanged aswell from a different supplier 😡
It's a bit of a coincidence I know and until then hifi gear I've bought has always been ok,
I had my first pair of speakers at 14 mission 760i for 18yrs !, Anyway Im drifting off topic again 🤔 what cartridge would you suggest for the record arm ? I could just replace old with new but perhaps you have something better in mind......
And thankyou again for your help

Yes it's dusty 🙂 and does indeed need a new belt, you certainly know your stuff as my father remembered it is indeed an audio technica, it was put away and not touched for yrs, he pulled it out when I started building this system, it's a bit of a pain to me having to change the belt for varying speeds everytime and not having a selection switch.

Unfortunately the roskan amp went faulty to my horror but thanks to richer sounds it's being replaced today at 1pm at home, I found out not only has roskan took the Bluetooth away (chip shortage) they have also took it's standby capability away because it didn't meet specifications, I can confirm this, the box mentions the Bluetooth not being available but nothing about the standby, mine simply refused to switch on the next morning, obviously connections etc were ruled out and power was into the amp as the light was on but nothing, I do hope it's not a fault all these amps now have since roskan started messing with them as I fell in love with the sound, the net mentions a few ppl who've encountered similar problems which worries me, I really don't want to start the hunt again, what's strange as the q acoustics were also faulty and had to be exchanged aswell from a different supplier 😡
It's a bit of a coincidence I know and until then hifi gear I've bought has always been ok,
I had my first pair of speakers at 14 mission 760i for 18yrs !, Anyway Im drifting off topic again 🤔 what cartridge would you suggest for the record arm ? I could just replace old with new but perhaps you have something better in mind......
And thankyou again for your help
A new cartridge suggestion will pretty much depend on your budget for same.

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
A new cartridge suggestion will pretty much depend on your budget for same.
I could stretch the budget a little for something you know is good, there's so many choices when I've looked, so far I can only narrow it down to the goldring e3 perhaps?
It's a little more than I wanted to spend but I know little about them,
There's good write ups on ortofon half the price which I once did use on a pair of DJ decks, sumiko and so many different ones by audio technica.
I like to save money like the next man and that's where knowledge is key, maybe you know of something cheaper that's as good or near😊, I've got myself a decent Apollo hifi separates stand as originally I was just going to have an amp and cd player but since decided to add this record deck and a receiver, I've saved for it all so it's nice watching it come together,

I could stretch the budget a little for something you know is good, there's so many choices when I've looked, so far I can only narrow it down to the goldring e3 perhaps?
It's a little more than I wanted to spend but I know little about them,
There's good write ups on ortofon half the price which I once did use on a pair of DJ decks, sumiko and so many different ones by audio technica.
I like to save money like the next man and that's where knowledge is key, maybe you know of something cheaper that's as good or near😊, I've got myself a decent Apollo hifi separates stand as originally I was just going to have an amp and cd player but since decided to add this record deck and a receiver, I've saved for it all so it's nice watching it come together,
The E3 is a very good choice

The E3 is a very good choice
Yes, I’d second that. They are a design based on Audio Technica‘s very popular 95 series, and highly praised.

Or any model that fits your budget from their newer VM95 range, from £30 to £200.

For a quick fix, without having the change the cartridge, the replacement stylus I pictured will get you going. Not necessarily from Amazon, it’s just that picture was clear!

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Yes, I’d second that. They are a design based on Audio Technica‘s very popular 95 series, and highly praised.

Or any model that fits your budget from their newer VM95 range, from £30 to £200.

For a quick fix, without having the change the cartridge, the replacement stylus I pictured will get you going. Not necessarily from Amazon, it’s just that picture was clear!
Thankyou very much for your help 🙂, I've also decided to upgrade the RCA cables after reading about van damm cables being good for a budget price,
I already have Cambridge audio ultra 100 silver (18 guage?) for speaker cable is that ok for 5 meter cable run ?
I know it has a good rating I'm just used to using thicker cable but the Yamaha and also the pioneer a400 (bi wired) its from only takes that guage comfortably.
I don't want to be buying things uneccery but after all the very good help that's aided me in building this system will of course listen, I've read so so many clashing things about speaker cable and snake oil etc,
I once had a thin cheap run of wire melt when using it as an emergency replacement out djing yrs ago, I've seen the double blind tests on YouTube etc of normal quality Vs crazy priced cable but I'm a paranoid type, would 18 guage over 5 meters L&R cause a problem just for piece of mind

There are various tables you can look up. This one suggests 1mm2 is about as thin as you’d want for 5 metres. 1.5mm2 is about the thinnest I’d choose for that length, but no harm can come.

(I can’t type squared on my iPad so mm2 = mm to the power of 2

There seems to be a number cartridges based on AT, including Clearaudio.

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Well in the end I ordered the goldring e3 and some 14 guage speaker wire, I also decided to get a service kit for the system deck and schooled up on how to set the tone arm weight properly, must say it polished up lovely, only 2 marks on the whole thing, since then I've burried myself into looking for vinyl, I'm only really interested in classical music for the record deck at the moment, the ifizen zen blue came aswell so things are coming together, not having to purchase a record deck or cd player is why I finally decided on the goldring e3,
I always set a budget so had room to manoeuvre, as said prior I've always liked the Marantz cd 52 already owned.
I haven't listened to this hifi yet although it's nearly complete, after the roskan amp was replaced I decided to wait untill I have everything ready then play one of my favourites through it (Beethoven 5 secrets) and pachelbel canon and gigue for three violins on cd then vinyl if I can get it at a rediculas volume and decide which I prefer 🙂 that's a subject that used to cause debate amongst me and my father as a kid

Last edited:

Darc74

Dec 13, 2023
Visit site
Hi Guys, New to the forum but also new to Hifi :). I'm in the process of setting up my first system. I've purchased the Rega Planar 2 turntable, Blue Sound Node 3rd Gen and my next purchase is the Q Acoustic 3050i. I'll also purchase a CD player at a later stage. I'd really appreciate some suggestions what
integrated amplifier would suit this set up. Thanks in advance (y)

Hi Guys, New to the forum but also new to Hifi :). I'm in the process of setting up my first system. I've purchased the Rega Planar 2 turntable, Blue Sound Node 3rd Gen and my next purchase is the Q Acoustic 3050i. I'll also purchase a CD player at a later stage. I'd really appreciate some suggestions what
integrated amplifier would suit this set up. Thanks in advance (y)
Please start a new thread with more as to why you chose these, details of room size etc., thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts