Do any Amps exist with frequency bandwidth control

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
drummerman said:
Get a high class, powerful valve amplifier, integrated or mono blocks from someone like Icon Audio. Sell the Halo.

My 2c's if you want to keep the PMC's.

And that will turn the PMCs into 'disco' speakers? 

100 good, dynamic valve watts = 400 controlled but stilted SS watts.

Fun, emotion etc etc.

Still, the OP is determined to dissect and cannibalize his PMC's ... creating Frankenspeaker :)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
Vladimir said:
drummerman said:
Get a high class, powerful valve amplifier, integrated or mono blocks from someone like Icon Audio. Sell the Halo.

My 2c's if you want to keep the PMC's.

And that will turn the PMCs into 'disco' speakers?

100 good, dynamic valve watts = 400 controlled but stilted SS watts.

Fun, emotion etc etc.

Still, the OP is determined to dissect and cannibalize his PMC's ... creating Frankenspeaker :)

Don't forget that 1 Cyrus dynamics watt = 7.34 valve supreme Class A watts.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Now iam too confused . As davedotco mentioned, maybe I should stop at passive tri amping as I am not sure removing the filters from the inbuilt crossover will be a good thing. Dirac + passive tri amping should give me the sonic gains iam looking for and keep me entertained for some time to come :)

Was considering going class D. Don't want any of the airy stuff that reviewers bandy every day. Just want completely neutral, clear and powerful amps

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Dave said there are no benefits of passively triamping. You only get some benefits if you completely remove the passive crossovers and use an active crossover setup. The main problem is that you don't have the know-how, experience and equipment to build a better driver integration than what the passive crossover already does. insider suggested you buy cheap speakers and practice active crossover setup on them so you don't destroy your PMCs in the learning process.

And finally, the end results wont be what you desire them to be. We already know, because the drivers are all the wrong kind. They will never sound like those Yamahas.

You invested a lot of money and effort to have speakers (based on reading brochures and forums) to be proud of, but you were shocked that the cheap bar speakers sounded better to you and now you're chasing your tail. This is begginer audio hobby mistake number 1. Don't buy what others think its best. Buy what you think/hear its best.

You bought the wrong speakers. At least don't destroy them.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Can you sell the PMCs Newlash in India ok or would it be an issue doing so as we are Lucky our end with sites like eBay so we can sell stuff on a lot easer here but what’s it like your end for selling high priced items on but I would definitely not take them PMCs apart .

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Or not sell them. Just buy a pair of PA speakers like your mate with the money you plan to use and ruin the PMCs. Then play with those, special cables and whatever you can think of to have fun.

Be a **** and buy the one model above his.
devil_smile.png

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Or not sell them. Just buy a pair of PA speakers like your mate with the money you plan to use and ruin the PMCs. Then play with those, special cables and whatever you can think of to have fun.

I think it’s a case of not wasting money on something that might not work and ruin a good pair of speakers in the process and chasing your tail and to be satisfied with what your got sell the PMCs get a load of money back and buy the Yamaha speakers and keep things simple .

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Point well noted mr.vladimir and blacksabbath. Will not harm the PMC's.

As my hifi resides in my dining room, I can't replace the PMC's with the yamaha's. Will not be domestically acceptable to the wife.

Iam shifting residence tomorrow. And will be able to setup my speakers in the new place around Christmas. Will add dirac or minidsp first, and see how it goes.

Next step would be to improve amplification. I can sell the parasound and use the funds for 3 class D amps. Will that give sonic gains above the parasound in a passive tri Amping setup :)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:

I think it’s a case of not wasting money on something that might not work and ruin a good pair of speakers in the process and chasing your tail and to be satisfied with what your got sell the PMCs get a load of money back and buy the Yamaha speakers and keep things simple .

Those PA speakers are something like $600. He can buy them and have them together with the PMCs. No need to sell anything. And this wole idea of needing Class D power is pointless as well. You can electricute King Kong with his Parasound amp. Plenty of power already.

Sometimes I think we need exorcist services in this hobby.

giphy.gif

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I tell you something Newlash I would love to own some Dali epicon 6 speakers but I have to be content with what I have now and some obvious reasons like the fact they cost £7000 and the other is my wife would kill me if I brought them as much as I love to own them .

would they be any better then my opticon 8s ? Do not no I will never no because at some point you have to draw the line and say yep that sounds good and that’s the best I can afford .

Now you know you brought them PMCs blind and you liked them before you heard the Yamaha speakers you sell the PMCs and buy the Yamaha speakers or you keep the PMCs and forget the Yamaha speakers or you buy a better amplifier that is well matched with PMCs speakers .

sit down with some favourite music of yours and listen hard to the PMCs and say honestly what the bad points are on the PMCs and what the good points are and then workout what you could do to improve the bad points .

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I can't find any weaknesses in the PMC's or the parasound. And iam also happy with the sound I presently have. This is the best sound I've had ever. Just that there is always this urge to improve things further :)

But what you mentioned really makes sense blacksabbath. I have to draw a line somewhere. Will just add dsp and enjoy the music for now.

The devil is dead now :)

insider9

Main reason l suggested a cheap active conversion is so that you can understand what active gives.

A lot of people when comparing passives and actives have the wrong impression what it is that is gained by going active. The only way to actually understand the difference is with a pair of speakers that can be run both active and passive. Comparing even similar models of passive and active speakers is like comparing apples to oranges.

It may be that after a cheap conversion you will decide that the benefit of going active with PMCs is simply not worth the financial outlay.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I do have a pair of audiopro floor standers that I can experiment on. But will have to think it over.

They will be connected to my daughter's keyboard via my spare Sony str dn 850 for her music classes. But they are the cheapest scape goats that I have :)

But will leave the PMC'S and the concept 40's as they are.

I was previously under the impression that active tri-amping does not have any de merits. But it looks all too risky on further dissection. So will let the tri amping ghost lie for now.

Thanks to all for enlightening me again :)

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
newlash09 said:
I can't find any weaknesses in the PMC's or the parasound. And iam also happy with the sound I presently have. This is the best sound I've had ever. Just that there is always this urge to improve things further :)

But what you mentioned really makes sense blacksabbath. I have to draw a line somewhere. Will just add dsp and enjoy the music for now.

The devil is dead now :)
It’s a dangerous road Newlash I’ve been there before and it’s not worth it and I do understand ones you have everything your brain starts thinking what can I get now it just goes round in circles Newlash it really does we all like collecting boxes lol

insider9

Hey we've all been there. It comes in waves. First the anticipation before the purchase then the euphoria and slight uncertainty if we made the right choice, then more uncertainty of what else is there :)

Final stage is certainty... of what can actually be improved. Once you're there upgrade but not before. Seriously enjoy, you have a great system. If it doesn't sound right it means you're not in a mood. That's fine. You don't have to have it on all the time.

I've got a cold at the moment. I've not played a single track today. 3.5 albums yesterday but none today. I have a headache and I'm sure my paranoia would find a number of things that could be improved although system sounded amazing only yesterday.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
Hey we've all been there. It comes in waves. First the anticipation before the purchase then the euphoria and slight uncertainty if we made the right choice, then more uncertainty of what else is there :)

Final stage is certainty... of what can actually be improved. Once you're there upgrade but not before. Seriously enjoy, you have a great system. If it doesn't sound right it means you're not in a mood. That's fine. You don't have to have it on all the time.

I've got a cold at the moment. I've not played a single track today. 3.5 albums yesterday but none today. I have a headache and I'm sure my paranoia would find a number of things that could be improved although system sounded amazing only yesterday.
hifi is very mood related some days your relaxed and the music sounds good and other days you could feel stressed or down in the dumps and the fact that what ever music you put on will relate to the mood You are feeling .

i look at my hifi as therapy for my mind and if I do not get to listen to music I feel apart of me is missing it’s an important part of my life it’s sad I know but we all have are luxuries in life .

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Probably not a pactical solution to ship Nord amplifiers to India but it maybe possible.

https://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/

Colin is now selling the new Icepower units as well as Hypex .

https://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/single-post/2017/11/23/New-BO-ICE-Power-1200AS2-Module-arrives-for-Evaluation-First-module-to-use-the-new-ICE-Edge-chipset-600W-into-8Ohms-1200W-into-4Ohms

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Had considered the Nord mono blocks when considering tri-amping. But have rested my case now.

Will not think about changing anything for the next few years. Except add a mini-dsp or Dirac in the digital domain :)

I’m glad you've been dissuaded otherwise I’d have said much the same as others already have!

Your new home will sound quite different I’m sure. It’ll take a while to get everything set up to your satisfaction. Good luck with the move!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts