Question Stereo Amplifier with Frequency Control?

Kenneth Fernandes

Mar 2, 2024
Visit site
I am looking for a Stereo Wireless Streaming Amplifier(all-in-one) that has the option to route all the low frequencies (say less than ~120Hz) to the sub-woofer out and the remaining frequencies(~120Hz - 20kHz and above) amplified to the speaker out. I haven't come across any amps yet that could do this.

One could vary the low-frequency cut-off that matches their pair of speakers starting frequency response. This could be done at the input side, preferably using a digital filter before the digital signal passes to a DAC and then to the amplifier, to reduce the size of capacitors and inductors. So, it could be easy to adjust the frequency cut-off using an App, instead of an analog rotary knob.

Why to do this?
To pair with single-driver speakers with a frequency response anywhere from 100hz to 20kHz and above and a sub-woofer. I have posted this question too in the forum. https://forums.whathifi.com/threads/single-driver-bookshelf-speakers.131790/
As most of the speakers that have dual drive units already have a decent frequency response from around ~30Hz to 20kHz and above, that covers low frequencies in most cases based on your speaker placement and room acoustics. With these dual drive unit speakers one cannot adjust the volume of bass, as to increase or decrease the bass volume you will need to change the master volume, affecting the whole acoustic's loudness. With a sub-woofer, you could easily attenuate the bass based on your liking, leaving your speakers to operate at a different volume.

I am looking for a Stereo Wireless Streaming Amplifier(all-in-one) that has the option to route all the low frequencies (say less than ~120Hz) to the sub-woofer out and the remaining frequencies(~120Hz - 20kHz and above) amplified to the speaker out. I haven't come across any amps yet that could do this.

One could vary the low-frequency cut-off that matches their pair of speakers starting frequency response. This could be done at the input side, preferably using a digital filter before the digital signal passes to a DAC and then to the amplifier, to reduce the size of capacitors and inductors. So, it could be easy to adjust the frequency cut-off using an App, instead of an analog rotary knob.

Why to do this?
To pair with single-driver speakers with a frequency response anywhere from 100hz to 20kHz and above and a sub-woofer. I have posted this question too in the forum. https://forums.whathifi.com/threads/single-driver-bookshelf-speakers.131790/
As most of the speakers that have dual drive units already have a decent frequency response from around ~30Hz to 20kHz and above, that covers low frequencies in most cases based on your speaker placement and room acoustics. With these dual drive unit speakers one cannot adjust the volume of bass, as to increase or decrease the bass volume you will need to change the master volume, affecting the whole acoustic's loudness. With a sub-woofer, you could easily attenuate the bass based on your liking, leaving your speakers to operate at a different volume.
Try the Loudness button??

Reactions: DougK1

Cork

Aug 9, 2023
Visit site
You're looking for a receiver with a 'crossover' setting. Most higher-end receivers have them. In the Yamaha line anything above the R-N800A has the ability to set the crossover from 40 to 200 Hz.

Kenneth Fernandes

Mar 2, 2024
Visit site
You're looking for a receiver with a 'crossover' setting. Most higher-end receivers have them. In the Yamaha line anything above the R-N800A has the ability to set the crossover from 40 to 200 Hz.
Thank you!
The crossover setting, under the YPAO, mentioned in the instructions manual of R-N800A or R-N1000A is a great feature!
Has anyone tried the crossover setting then with a sub-woofer?

Kenneth Fernandes

Mar 2, 2024
Visit site
Also, the All-in-one amplifier has to be very modern (not the regular rectangular box designs), like with futuristic design shapes, with a blend of premium materials that are not only pleasing to the eyes but also have a great feel to handle out of the box.

Fandango Andy

Why to do this?
I'm not totally sure what you are trying to achieve, or to be more precise the benefit of what you are trying to achieve.

Can you not set up with digital base management, then control the bass volume with the volume control on the sub?

Reactions: Kenneth Fernandes

gasolin

Dsp ??

Reactions: Kenneth Fernandes

TRENDING THREADS