Do any Amps exist with frequency bandwidth control

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I've read that since an amp is designed to play over the whole audio spectrum from 20hz to upwards of 20khz. Design choices are made keeping budget in mind. Thus Amps , that perform well over the entire spectrum tend to be very expensive.

When considering an active speaker. Each amp driving a particukar driver is optimised for that driver. Thus effeciency and performance are better.

Are there amps out there with controls for setting the frequency bandwidth so that they can perform more optimally in that range.

Iam seriously considering a trip amping set up. So if I can set each amp to function within one frequency band, maybe they can perform better.

Is my thinking right.

Or when using active cross over to limit the frequency bandwidth, is the amp already seeing only a limited bandwidth and is already at its optimum. I know I sound vague and lost, which I actually am. Thanks for your help and suggestions

insider9

You're right that amplifiers tend to perform best in specific frequency range. One of the difference passive to active in relation to amplifier is how it affects impedance seen by amplifier and how it fluctuates. Individual drive unit performance is much easier to predict and they can give a linear load in operating range.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I was actually considering crown pro amps for the bass driver. I certainly don't need the 400 w that they provide. But iam hoping they should provide exceptional bass control since the frequency bandwidth is so limited.

Am I right in thinking so. Or should I plonk for the numerous diy sub woofer plate Amps I see on the internet. Thanks :)

insider9

Depending on the amount of correction you're looking to do the power of amplifiers goes up very quickly. It helps in an active setup but still it's important to have headroom.

Remember should you lose 10dB of headroom due to DSP you should up your amplifier power 10 times...

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Was fondly hoping that I would find some pro amps with this functionality. I can use class D for bass either pro gear or nord mono blocks. The parasound still retains the mid range owing to its rythmik grasp and subtlety.

Any pointers on what does treble best . The less it costs, the faster I can get it. But can't exceed 1000 pounds for now :)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I'd consider Crown amps for active setup too. Sounds like a good direction.

Fairly fugly though.
regular_smile.png
Hypex, Nord etc. much nicer domestic solution with essentially the same job done.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
In which case I will probably have to get 6 x400w Nord mono blocks. But that will blow the budget.

Ideally what equation of power distribution should I look for between the bass driver / mid range / tweeter. Will be helpful to decide what iam looking at in terms of total amplification. I will not plonk for a 6 channel amp, but will rather go to 3 stereo amps or 6 mono blocks.

insider9

My advice is to try with the highest spec'ed and most powerful but cheapest solution. You'd be amazed what £30 Sony STR-DB930 sounds like in an active setup. You need two of them for up to 4 way. Add Minidsp + Umik and some cables. All in you could go active with a budget of £400 and max £500 including some extra interconects.

EDIT

I'd also highly recommend buying a pair of cheap floorstanders and practice on them. I converted £80 Dali 104 for my first project.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm guessing this new adventure is due to your recent experience with the active Yamaha PA monitors?

If so, you may be going in the wrong direction expecting that an active setup will have too much of a dramatic change. The sound you heard on the Yamaha's is mostly due to the driver combo - large sensitive woofer, very dynamic compression driver and horn. These are completely different speaker design concept from what you have.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I was so happy with what I was hearing everyday, till I heard them. And I think the superior performer was because of DSP and active amplification. The Yamaha's couldn't go too low, or with the speed that the PMC's have. But it left me thinking, that I can certainly make improvements to what I have. And the only way to do so, without breaking the bank was a active setup :)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
newlash09 said:
And I think the superior performer was because of DSP and active amplification.

That's not it. You're comparing apples to blonde elephants. The differen't drivers alone yield the biggest differences.

insider9

I felt it was the case when you reported your experiences. It's the size of the woofers and the horns. It just sounds different. It's designed to do different things. It's good to know you like that kind of a sound.

Unfortunately no amount of DSP nor activating your PMC will make them sound like that. They just do other things well.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
You had mentioned the same thing on that day too. I hadn't tried the yamha's with my normal EDM tracks, that are my usual bread and breakfast. My friend played a lot of slow soul music and it was lovely on them. More so than my PMC's. Again there are variables, he was playing from Nas, and iam playing from a streaming site using the CCA. Could be he had a better and high resolution recording...I would like to think :)

insider9

newlash09 said:
Can you please suggest some sub 1000 pound amp that does treble beautifully. Budget below 1000 pounds is most ideal. Though cheaper the better :)
Is that for active conversion? I've shelved my project due to excessive cost. I'm really happy with the way setup sounds anyway.

When using DSP you're looking at different traits when choosing amplification. More to do with technical aspects and less with voicing.

In reality using DSP you can do just about anything with treble. It's rather easy. Usually a boost around 10-12kHz and all of a sudden sounds more hifi. Then a phase correction and you get another dimension when it comes to clarity.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
You've just saved me a serious amount of dough sir :)

Can I do similar for the mid range. Makes the parasound redundant actually. Maybe I can sell it off to fund the whole mission. Unfortunately market awareness is so little hear..I can't pass the almost new parasound without incurring a significant financial hit.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The PMCs will never sound like efficient designs with horns. No amp will make a dome tweeter sound like a compression driver. If you like the cheap PA Yamaha speakers more than your expensive PMCs, you bought the wrong speakers.

You can easily sell or swap the PMCs for more efficient speakers to your liking. The worst thing you can do is gut them out and make them active for the wrong reasons.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
The PMC's have to stay. Considering what I spent on them, I would never be allowed to spend more on any speaker domestically. So thanks to your pointers, I've realised not to chase the yamha's sound any more. But I will look to improve the PMC's sound for as little as possible :)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
Midrange is where the magic happens so I'd focus on it. If you like how your PMC are voiced I'd look for a Class A solid state amp. That was my thinking before I shelved my project.

Waste of money. This is the second time he bought based on the 'wisdom' of reviews and jobos like us. It's the second time he doesn't like the more expensive audiophile speakers over the cheap cinema or PA ones. He plays disco and indian music.

I'd sell the PMCs and buy those Yamaha PAs. Yes, no one will be my forum friend and I'll get no pats on the back, but I'll bloody enjoy music the way I like it.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
Midrange is where the magic happens so I'd focus on it. If you like how your PMC are voiced I'd look for a Class A solid state amp. That was my thinking before I shelved my project.

I can try a few...coming to tunes...promaluna of USA comes to mind. I could afford their mono blocks putting out 80w per channel. But will that not be too little

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Vladimir said:
insider9 said:

Waste of money. This is the second time he bought based on the 'wisdom' of reviews and jobos like us. It's the second time he doesn't like the more expensive audiophile speakers over the cheap cinema or PA ones. He plays disco and indian music.

I'd sell the PMCs and buy those Yamaha PAs. Yes, no one will be my forum friend and I'll get no pats on the back, but I'll bloody enjoy music the way I like it. 

But some way that I can salvage my investment so far will really help. Trying to sell the QA concept 40 in india has taught me that I can as well throw them down the balcony.

TRENDING THREADS