Digital edition of What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision is here!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Very excited that we'll soon be able to offer you the magazine in digital format.

We're still finalising the details on exactly which edition of What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision will be the first to be available digitally, but it could be as soon as our June issue :party:

Initially we'll be selling basic digital copies on the Zinio platform, with plans to explore additional digital delivery options in the future.

The plan is for the magazine to be avaialble at/around the same time as the paper edition, but for just £2.99 per issue.

There will be digital subsciption options as well as single-issue sales available from the off, plus we're working on offering a hybrid subscriptions deal for those who still want the standard magazine but also a digital copy.

Several of our sister magazines have already made the move to Zinio - for example FourFourTwo, Autocar and F1 Racing

More news as we get it....

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
Very excited that we'll soon be able to offer you the magazine in digital format.

We're still finalising the details on exactly which edition of What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision will be the first to be available digitally, but it could be as soon as our June issue :party:

Initially we'll be selling basic digital copies on the Zinio platform, with plans to explore additional digital delivery options in the future.

The plan is for the magazine to be avaialble at/around the same time as the paper edition, but for just £2.99 per issue.

There will be digital subsciption options as well as single-issue sales available from the off, plus we're working on offering a hybrid subscriptions deal for those who still want the standard magazine but also a digital copy.

Several of our sister magazines have already made the move to Zinio - for example FourFourTwo, Autocar and F1 Racing

Ooooooh!

That's a bit exciting, look forward to that!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
scene said:
Very interesting. With the Zinio platform, will I be able to pay the sub and view the magazine on my PC AND my iPad (for the one sub)?

Yep - according to Zinio:

When you purchase something through Zinio -- whether it is from the iPad store or Zinio.com -- you can view it on any of our supported operating systems and devices or directly on Zinio.com

daveh75

Excellent news, especially as paper copies are becoming hard to find locally, since the 3 newsagents near me have all closed down and our nearest Tesco only seems to stock a couple of copies which it seems to put out early, so i usually miss out.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
daveh75 said:
Excellent news, especially as paper copies are becoming hard to find locally, since the 3 newsagents near me have all closed down and our nearest Tesco only seems to stock a couple of copies which it seems to put out early, so i usually miss out.

Can you please let me know which Tesco that is? I can get our circulation team to investigate....

scene

Clare Newsome said:
scene said:
Very interesting. With the Zinio platform, will I be able to pay the sub and view the magazine on my PC AND my iPad (for the one sub)?

Yep - according to Zinio:

When you purchase something through Zinio -- whether it is from the iPad store or Zinio.com -- you can view it on any of our supported operating systems and devices or directly on Zinio.com

smiley-embarassed.gif
Missed that on their website - thanks Clare...

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
Will there be any "incentives" to transfer to the digital copy from hard copy ( I am making the assumption here that the digital copy will hit a much wider audience and that the margins will improve over hard copy )

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
What, apart from the (much) lower price, the fact that international subscribers will be able to get the magazine day and date with UK readers (and at a much lower cost than they used to pay for a subscription that arrived weeks after the issue was published), and the warm glow you'll get at all those trees you've saved?

A

Anonymous

That's fantastic news Clare. I live in Australa and it's not always easy to get a copy of the mag, and in any event since I've been using an iPad, I have only been subscribing to mags I can get digitally. I like the Zinio platform and will definitely become a digital subscriber.

GetCarter

Nov 5, 2003
Visit site
With Regards to the Zinio platform, while an advertised price of £2.99 might sound great, there is VAT at 20% to be added to that (unfortunately the Government haven't cottoned on to this new fangled technology lark yet), so the final price is more likely to be £3.60, far nearer the printed price, I have been caught out on this on several occasions. Unless of course Clare's price guide is after VAT??

I am not sure the hybrid suggestion will work with Zinio either, as they don't currently have this facility, unless this is something new.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We're still assessing the VAT situation - but even at £3.60 (worse case scenario) you'd be saving almost £1 on the printed mag - and save yet more if you subscribe, obviously.

And the hybrid subscription would be something we offer, rather than Zinio; we have the ability to sell the digital editions ourselves, as well as via Zinio.

As I said, more to come re the details as we get closer to launch.

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:

Hello, I still like to touch the paper and take with me to the beach, trips, etc. It would be very reasonable if the people who purchase the paper magazine somehow got access to donwload also a digital copy for storage purposes (it is easyier to store the digital copy). Will that be possible? Thanks, Pablo.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
rendu said:
Hello, I still like to touch the paper and take with me to the beach, trips, etc. It would be very reasonable if the people who purchase the paper magazine somehow got access to donwload also a digital copy for storage purposes (it is easyier to store the digital copy). Will that be possible? Thanks, Pablo.

Clare Newsome said:
plus we're working on offering a hybrid subscriptions deal for those who still want the standard magazine but also a digital copy.

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
rendu said:

Clare Newsome said:
plus we're working on offering a hybrid subscriptions deal for those who still want the standard magazine but also a digital copy.

So that means, only for subscriptions..... If I purchase I separate mag, there will be no way to get the digital copy? Thanks.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
rendu said:
So that means, only for subscriptions..... If I purchase I separate mag, there will be no way to get the digital copy? Thanks.

I'm not at all sure how we could administer such a situation, unless you bought each copy by post.

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
rendu said:

I'm not at all sure how we could administer such a situation, unless you bought each copy by post.

Thanks, it was just a comment from the pure customer value adding stanpoint. My thought was on the line of a one time pasword or something similar to the itunes gift card inside the mag... Anyway, I understand it may not be feasible, possible or even desired at the level of a single magazine, and I am not trying to give a solution. This is your decission only and I am sure that plenty of people will be happy with only the possibility of the suscription. Thanks anyway for the comments.

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
Will the Digital subscriptions and Hybrid Subscription become available at the same time as the single issue launch or will they be launched at a later date?

D

Deleted member 2457

Jolly good news
smiley-smile.gif
, hopefully i will be able to cut down on my growing standard collection then, which always seem to end up laying around the house in big piles.
smiley-smile.gif
Perhaps i will go digital with Whathifi and keep standard with

EDITED BY MODS for inappropriate language
smiley-wink.gif

I do like to take the latest copy with me on holiday too though, at least we now have choices.
smiley-cool.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Tom Moreno said:
Will the Digital subscriptions and Hybrid Subscription become available at the same time as the single issue launch or will they be launched at a later date?

There should be a digital subscription available from the word go, at same time as the single issues. However, the hybrid may take a little longer to sort. Again, these are details that are being ironed out as we speak....

D

Deleted member 2457

gel said:
Jolly good news
smiley-smile.gif
, hopefully i will be able to cut down on my growing standard collection then, which always seem to end up laying around the house in big piles.
smiley-smile.gif
Perhaps i will go digital with Whathifi and keep standard with

EDITED BY MODS for inappropriate language
smiley-wink.gif

I do like to take the latest copy with me on holiday too though, at least we now have choices.
smiley-cool.gif

smiley-smile.gif

My sister bought me another years subs for a Xmas present after a couple of years break, i would still buy quite a few issues, certainly awards time and anything interesting.

TRENDING THREADS