December issue feedback thread

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
To get things started (and repeating a previois thread) ... I dont find many pages of exotic kit very interesting. One page to cover several items would do me.

Please bring back the everyday user reviews. I found their reviews/opinions interesting. Sometimes in full agreement but often with differing opinions in comparison tests. I recon these better represent our more common experiences using kit in unfamiliar surroundings and with less expert ears..

CarlDW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
My only minor gripe generally with the magazine is that I would like more content... I usually buy it on the day of release, settle down after work and by the end of the evening I have read all of it! Then I have to wait a whole month until the next issue comes out... :wall:

D

Deleted member 2457

Joe Cox said:
Post all comments, gripes, moans, praise, discussion on the latest magazine in here please...

Don't forget you can save 17% if you subscribe – choose from the print magazine alone, or pay just £2.99 extra every six months for access to our iPad/iPhone edition as well.

Or head to the What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision Newsstand page to buy a single copy of the new magazine...

I thought it was good. All the Panasonic plasmas definitely deserved their awards. I suppose looking back now the Oppo 103/5 deserved to be in there too. Just bought the HCC awards today, and the Oppo 103/5 and d featured heavily in there. Don't get me wrong though I think you are better than HCC.

I suppose if I had one concern it was how late you got your Panasonic plasmas in for their reviews, I had definitely made my mind up reading AV Forums that I was going to buy the VT65. I think that is all I have to say, I will have a think about it. :cheers:

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
To get things started (and repeating a previois thread) ... I dont find many pages of exotic kit very interesting. One page to cover several items would do me.

It's not many pages though is it? One page? What would be the point? You're not going to learn anything from that at all.

I'd like MORE in the Temptations section, it's usually the most interesting part of the magazine, certainly more interesting than yet another TV group test (I understand why those have to be there though, I'm not blind to the commercial realities, unlike some).

Please bring back the everyday user reviews. I found their reviews/opinions interesting. Sometimes in full agreement but often with differing opinions in comparison tests. I recon these better represent our more common experiences using kit in unfamiliar surroundings and with less expert ears..

Yeah I'd like to see The Big Question again, although it's not actually a review feature. I can imagine they may have run out of questions to ask though.

I'd like to see if the panel could tell the difference between full-fat 24-bit audio and properly downsampled 16-bit version of the same tracks (ie not a different 16-bit release which may not be using the same master).

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
More diversity of brands at all price points please!

The Temptations section seems to have stirred up a bit of controversy. It's my favourite part of the mag, but I do think there's a distinction to be made between (a) "that's a shedload of money" (e.g. Dali Epicon 8s at £11.5K) and (b) "nah, that's just bonkers" (e.g. Burmester 069 at £35K).

:cheers:

Matt

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
I like the temptations, it's my favourite part of the magazine, i find it very interesting to know that their is a £36,000 CD player out their. :)

D

Deleted member 2457

Joe Cox said:
Post all comments, gripes, moans, praise, discussion on the latest magazine in here please...

Don't forget you can save 17% if you subscribe – choose from the print magazine alone, or pay just £2.99 extra every six months for access to our iPad/iPhone edition as well.

Or head to the What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision Newsstand page to buy a single copy of the new magazine...

I have only just got the December issue, the awards must be the one before, or we have two this month. So I thought I would comment on this issue too, well it was good, I like the TV reviews and in a group test is interesting. I would like to see some of the high end Oppo Blu-ray players reviewed too. I like the advice questions from the forum.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
gel said:
I have only just got the December issue, the awards must be the one before, or we have two this month.

The Awards issue is a separate issue from the usual monthly issues. I thought I was missing something, presumbly subscribers should have had the December issue by now?

So I thought I would comment on this issue too, well it was good, I like the TV reviews and in a group test is interesting.

Again?

I would like to see some of the high end Oppo Blu-ray players reviewed too.

They've been reviewed, I'm not sure there's been anything released since the last reviews has there?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Joe Cox said:
December issue is indeed the new one, with subscribers now/any day.

Oh ok.

I'll wait..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

D

Deleted member 2457

The_Lhc said:
gel said:
I have only just got the December issue, the awards must be the one before, or we have two this month.

The Awards issue is a separate issue from the usual monthly issues. I thought I was missing something, presumbly subscribers should have had the December issue by now?

So I thought I would comment on this issue too, well it was good, I like the TV reviews and in a group test is interesting.

Again?

I would like to see some of the high end Oppo Blu-ray players reviewed too.

They've been reviewed, I'm not sure there's been anything released since the last reviews has there?

Yep, got it today. Yep, the 105 Oppo and the 103d Oppo have yet been reviewed, so I am eager to read about them. Can't think of anything else I am waiting for. :?

chrisr1718

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
RobinKidderminster said:

It's not many pages though is it? One page? What would be the point? You're not going to learn anything from that at all.

I'd like MORE in the Temptations section, it's usually the most interesting part of the magazine, certainly more interesting than yet another TV group test (I understand why those have to be there though, I'm not blind to the commercial realities, unlike some).

Yeah I'd like to see The Big Question again, although it's not actually a review feature. I can imagine they may have run out of questions to ask though.

I'd like to see if the panel could tell the difference between full-fat 24-bit audio and properly downsampled 16-bit version of the same tracks (ie not a different 16-bit release which may not be using the same master).

Have to agree, I'd like to see The Big Question return. I took part in one comparing bluray players; budget, mid & expensive. I thoroughly enjoyed my day at WHF Towers and I'd do it again with some new stuff. It was good to see the test facilities and meet a couple of the guys and fellow readers.

ROTH AV

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
More coverage of British brands that begin with R and end in H.

Zero coverage on the forum of brands starting with A and ending in I. Just mind-numbing.

Maybe a mystery shopper article, going to a town and seeing how the different retailers get on.

Maybe an occasional article on some of the great bands, their recordings and history.

More coverage of British brands that begin with R and end in H.

:cheers:

jjbomber

My copy of WhatApple, Tele and Soundbar arrived this morning.

Page 32 exclusive subscriber-only offers and discounts. When will we ever get one??? or even a subscriber-only competition to win a Burmeister.

Spot the difference competition between, say, the Cyrus all-in-one hi-fi and a Lexmark all-in-one printer. Month two could be an Epson projector versus the front grill of a BMW. month three a Nad 7050 amplifier v a 1970s projector. Prize would be a day out at specsavers.

More serious suggestions. a reliability survey of products and customer service. Or lack there of.

A ''those were the days'' article featuring classic hi-fi from yesteryear. Quad's radiators, Naim Olive series, Linn Sondek, Nakamishi cassteet deck etc.

Factory visits.For example. A day at the KEF factory showing the processes for making speakers. Same for amps, turntables etc.

Supertest for high end MP3 players. Will the Astell & Kern win? Probably.

Best recorders, Edirol R09-HR v Zoom H2 etc. the bootleggers best friends.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts