Digital edition of What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision is here!

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yes, we will soon be available via Apple Newstand, too. Several of our sibling magazines are making the move first - we're on the list!

Will update here as soon as we have firm date re which issue etc.

A

Anonymous

This is awesome. I'd given up reading WHF due to the cost and inconsistency of local availability in Australia or the international subscription. Getting this on iPad is great. Well done team

John_S

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Damien Buckley said:
This is awesome. I'd given up reading WHF due to the cost and inconsistency of local availability in Australia or the international subscription. Getting this on iPad is great. Well done team

Cheers! And given that you're a good few hours ahead of us here in the UK, it means you'll actually be able to read the issue before us. We're all asleep when it goes live in the middle of the night! :grin:

GetCarter

Nov 5, 2003
Visit site
Clare

While publishing via Newstand may be good news for many, how would it leave those who have subscribed via Zinio?

Will you continue to publish via Zinio for now, or abandon the platform??

I ask this as I have recently subscribed to yours and a rival magazine (both for a year), which has changed publisher, and am having problems getting a refund, as it is no longer available through Zinio (their communications leave something to be desired).

Are Haymarket responsible for digital subscriptions or Zinio in your case?

If you are going to abandon Zinio, what will happen to those of us who decided to subscribe digital with Zinio (with your/Haymarkets recomendation)?

I am sure this has been fully thought through, but having other issues, I do have to ask, as I would be very annoyed if you do abandon the platform without thought for those who commited to it.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
GetCarter,

I raised exactly this point with our digital publishing team, and the response was that the plan was for the two platforms to run in parallel, allowing existing Zinio subscribers to complete their subscription before deciding whether to renew or switch platforms

GetCarter

Nov 5, 2003
Visit site
Many thanks Andrew for the reply.

Having now had a reply from Zinio re the other publication, and in combination with your own reply, it has to be said there appear to be too many parties involved in the digital publishing of an issue compared to the traditional print field.

With Apple/Zinio/magazine publisher all involved, it seems that there are to many different set of conflicting rules, that make it very difficult for the consumer to know who to approach in the event of problems, and even more difficult to sort out.

With Zinio only offering single or whole year, there is no middle ground for the consumer as there is with the traditional printed route, where quarterly payment is offered, with the additional protection of the direct debit mandate regulations (I know that many apps within Newstand now offer monthly continuous subs at a discount which can be cancelled at short notice, but Zinio was around before this route, so many of have commited to this way)

Also more worringly Zinio seem not to police their own content with any regard for consumer, they are currently offering yearly subs for at least 3 magazines that have been sold to a rival publisher, and they have no hope of fulfilling the orders, were I to have placed an order now on that basis I would consider the taking of monies on that basis as plain and simple theft!! Especially when they don't do refunds and you have to take alternaitve goods instead!

Have to say that once all my subscriptions with Zinio run out, I think I will either go to Newstand versions or revert back to old fashioned print (at least you know where you stand with print, I do miss the feel of flicking through a magazine at times, must be getting old!!)

GetCarter

Nov 5, 2003
Visit site
Very confused with Zinio now, after finding out magazine was sold to another publisher, and Zinio member of staff admitting they they could no longer supply mag, and offering alternative magazines instead, I have now received email from another member of staff apologising for the delay in this months magazine, which has now duly popped up on my reader.

Have to say the left hand clearly doesn't know what the right hand is doing at Zinio, the only upside is I now have the original mag plus a sub to another mag. Still have my doubts about the whole Zinio platform though.

TRENDING THREADS