December issue feedback thread

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

jjbomber said:
My copy of WhatApple, Tele and Soundbar arrived this morning.

Page 32 exclusive subscriber-only offers and discounts. When will we ever get one??? or even a subscriber-only competition to win a Burmeister.

Spot the difference competition between, say, the Cyrus all-in-one hi-fi and a Lexmark all-in-one printer. Month two could be an Epson projector versus the front grill of a BMW. month three a Nad 7050 amplifier v a 1970s projector. Prize would be a day out at specsavers.

More serious suggestions. a reliability survey of products and customer service. Or lack there of.

A ''those were the days'' article featuring classic hi-fi from yesteryear. Quad's radiators, Naim Olive series, Linn Sondek, Nakamishi cassteet deck etc.

Factory visits.For example. A day at the KEF factory showing the processes for making speakers. Same for amps, turntables etc.

Supertest for high end MP3 players. Will the Astell & Kern win? Probably.

Best recorders, Edirol R09-HR v Zoom H2 etc. the bootleggers best friends.

Subscriber only discounts is great suggestion! HCC have just done a lot of discounts in their latest mag for subscription including good gifts. They are offering 3 for a pound and then every 3 months after £10, so that is £33 for a year subscription - good going!

More for subscribers and discounts on the mag are definitely are a good step. :cheers:

professorhat said:
plastic penguin said:
In that case, no. No shops in my village AFAIA have the December copy.

In the shops from Tuesday.

Joe Cox said:
December issue is indeed the new one, with subscribers now/any day. On sale Tuesday 19th November.

Cheers prof - that explains a lot. Assumed because Joe had asked for feedback it was already there.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
In that case, no. No shops in my village AFAIA have the December copy.

7487333680_8122ee3bdd_z.jpg

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
I'd like MORE in the Temptations section, it's usually the most interesting part of the magazine,

Usually... I have to say I was disappointed in this month's Temptations, the first review was ok (although I've forgotten what it was) but I thought the inclusion of the ARCAM AVR-750 at £4000 and the NAIM SuperNait 2 at less than 3 grand were mis-placed, those are items I'd expect to see in the standard review sections of the magazine, I personally wouldn't consider either of them hi-end enough to feature in the Tempations section, not least because at least two people on here have already been asking about the ARCAM, so clearly £4k isn't that far out of reach of many people. I could actually buy both of these myself if I put them on a credit card. I wouldn't but I could.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Not sure Lhc what your point is? Whilst already declaring a lack of interest in 'temptations' it remains personal opinion at what level high end or exotic is set. I would imagine 95%+ of regulars (forum or magasine) would consider a full hifi system costing in excess of £10k to be quite exotic. A full AV cinema maybe £20k. That is not to say some will be interested in expensive kit nor to say some could not afford it.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
My point, which I though was pretty obvious, is that the two items I mentioned aren't expensive enough to go in the Temptations section. The previous ARCAM top-level AV amp wasn't shown in Temptations, it just got a standard review, I wouldn't have thought the original SuperNait was a Temptations piece either.

The ARCAM, for example, is a grand less than two of the AV Amps featured in recent mags (including the Awards IIRC). They're mainstream items, albeit the upper end, therefore not Temptations fodder.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
I think historically ARCam would be more correct?

Anyway, I'm just copying their logo, same as I do for Sonos...

From John Dawson...

"I founded Amplification & Recording (A & R, then A & R Cambridge) in a college room in Trinity in 1972. Chris Evans and I designed the A60 amplifier in 1976 and A & R became a limited Company in early 1977. The brand name ARCAM was coined around 1980 to avoid confusion with AR (Acoustic Research) of Cambridge, USA - it also helped avoid some confusion with Cambridge Audio which was still going under various different owners after CCL and CE Hammond."

He used the capitalised form of ARCAM.

I think either form is valid.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts