Digital Coax vs. Sub-link...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Will an RCA Coax cable described as "premium digital audio cable" do exactly the same job as an RCA Sub-link cable described as "premium sub-link cable"?

I apologise for the rather cryptic wording of that question but it was on purpose...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Will it pass signal through to the subwoofer? Yes. Will it do it as well as a dedicated subwoofer interconect? Less sure.

I apologise for the rather cryptic wording of that answer, but the two cables are designed to do rather different jobs, and depending on circumstances may not do each other's job as well as they do their own.

A

Anonymous

I wasn't trying to be smart with the question, just didn't want potential repliers to assume i was expecting a particular answer.

the reason for answering is when i requested a sublink for my system they gave me the coax instead of something labelled as a dedicated sublink, which i have seen in their shop, but didn't want toÿembarrass myself by saying something in the shop...!ÿ

A

Anonymous

They gave me a Cambridge Audio Azur Premium Digital Coax.

I wasn't "expecting" anything only told them what i needed a quality sublink for my system which i was buying all at once at the same time...

That's what they supplied... Strange don't you think...?ÿ

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Well, it'll do the job, provided it's long enough, but it's probably of a higher quality than you need for the sub connection in that system.

Could just be an honest mistake: the Premium SubLink, at the same price, will give you as good a performance and more flexibility of subwoofer positioning. It's 7.5m long, whereas the Premium Digital Coax is only 1m, which is likely to be too short to allow you to position the subwoofer optimally.

Perhaps someone just picked up the wrong Premium cable...

A

Anonymous

Hmmm. Well to be honest i'm pretty peeved with the service so far. It seems you know where i've got this all from but if you don't it's irrelevant really anyway...

For instance, Sunday when i went to pick up all the equipment, half way through loading up my van i was talking about how the most important thing of today was collecting the speaker cable because that's what we were planning on running into the walls and ceilings. Anyways, we loaded up and left. Got home and opened the bag containing the speaker cable to find 45m of micro cable at £2.50/m instead of the Ultra100 cable at £5/m i had ordered, and i'm sorry but assistant managers don't "mis-read" receipts, or at least they shouldn't! Had i been many other people the mistake wouldn't have been recognised and the shop would have been twice a wealthy from it.

Then secondly this sub-link issue. Selling me a mis-matched lead.

And now thirdly, looking back on the receipt, i paid for 2 Ixos XHD608 1m coax cable at £39.95 each. When picking this up he asked why i had ordered that and i explained that one was for the BD player to the amp and one was for the Sky+ HD to the amp. He told me that Sky+ HD didn't have coax out (even though i have researched and seen one on the Pace box) and that i needed a optical cable instead. I felt on the spot and agreed and have now seen that he's given me one Ixos XHD308 which sells for £10 cheaper on their website for the optical and the other coax i should have got is infact a Cambridge Audio Azur Premium Digital 1m coax which again is £10 cheaper than what i paid for!

Oooohh, i am looking forward to hearing why the assistant manager has made so many of these "mistakes"?!

ÿ

P.S. sorry for the rant. But having just parted with over £3500 of my cash you can see why i'm a little peeved...!ÿ

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
When i was getting my leads & cables i went into a superfi shop, half they didn't have in stock & half were dearer than what they had advertised on thier website, so i just ordered everything from superfi's website, i had no problem at all.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Lee Woodger:
Hmmm. Well to be honest i'm pretty peeved with the service so far. It seems you know where i've got this all from but if you don't it's irrelevant really anyway...

For instance, Sunday when i went to pick up all the equipment, half way through loading up my van i was talking about how the most important thing of today was collecting the speaker cable because that's what we were planning on running into the walls and ceilings. Anyways, we loaded up and left. Got home and opened the bag containing the speaker cable to find 45m of micro cable at £2.50/m instead of the Ultra100 cable at £5/m i had ordered, and i'm sorry but assistant managers don't "mis-read" receipts, or at least they shouldn't! Had i been many other people the mistake wouldn't have been recognised and the shop would have been twice a wealthy from it.

Then secondly this sub-link issue. Selling me a mis-matched lead.

And now thirdly, looking back on the receipt, i paid for 2 Ixos XHD608 1m coax cable at £39.95 each. When picking this up he asked why i had ordered that and i explained that one was for the BD player to the amp and one was for the Sky+ HD to the amp. He told me that Sky+ HD didn't have coax out (even though i have researched and seen one on the Pace box) and that i needed a optical cable instead. I felt on the spot and agreed and have now seen that he's given me one Ixos XHD308 which sells for £10 cheaper on their website for the optical and the other coax i should have got is infact a Cambridge Audio Azur Premium Digital 1m coax which again is £10 cheaper than what i paid for!

Oooohh, i am looking forward to hearing why the assistant manager has made so many of these "mistakes"?!

ÿ

P.S. sorry for the rant. But having just parted with over £3500 of my cash you can see why i'm a little peeved...!ÿ

The moral to this story is don't necessarily buy all your stuff from one shop, unless they are doing you a deal on it. Also, RS offer a "if you can find it cheaper online...", I'm assuming this doesn't mean cables too. I would give all the cables back and buy online from audiovisualonline or futureshop or ebay. You would probably half your outlay on the cables.

I will defend the guy about the Sky box slightly, up until quite recently they only had optical out. The newer ones have coaxial and optical. He was probably being honest and just not up to date there.

A

Anonymous

Yeah i thought he might be talking about the old box (or a different one) and knew at the end of the day knew it didn't make a difference, hence why i just gave in. But that's not the problem at all anymore! lol.

The whole point for me is that i've spent a lot of time lately really researching and it feels like they've been treating me like an idiot and trying to rip me off based on that assumption, and i've caught them out...ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts