Newbie advice

Jon Dunlop

Jul 14, 2023
Visit site
After years of listening to music (mostly classical) through a Sonos system I have recently decided to get a “proper” system. Taking advice from my local Richer Sounds I got a Marantz nr1200 and a pair of monitor audio silver 50s.
I generally listen to Apple Music and wanted to take advantage of their hi res files so got a Topping D10s dac.
My question is how should I get the best from my system. Should I connect the Topping with rca and use the D10s dac or use an optical cable and use the Marantz dac?
I’m using a Sony Blu-ray player connected by digital coax as a cd player and it sounds great to me. Would I hear any benefit by getting a dedicated cd player?
I’m considering a turntable too. I like the look of the Project T1. Is that a sensible choice or should I consider other options?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

WayneKerr

Basic RCA and optical cables are cheap so try both DACs and compare for yourself. If you don't have a vinyl collection then I'd scrap the idea of getting a turntable, same with CD player, unless you have a collection stay with streaming.

Personally, I'm a physical media person, I don't do streaming or downloads. My own opinion of hi-res is it's not worth it, a good recording is a good recording, you can't polish a turd with hi-res playback.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Welcome Jon

Congrates on the system!

There's a alot to unpack here.

First things first why did you buy the topping? the Marantz has a full suite of digital connectivity, can you return it? you dont need it. The Marantz is more than capable you're just doubling up on boxes. The sample rates on the Marantz go up 24-192 more than enough.

Bluray player:-use the HDMI interface, believe you have a number of them. You don't have surround sound so go into the player's (the sony) settings and reconfigure the output to stereo sometimes marked PCM. You will hear no difference with a standalone CD player.

TV:- (guessing you have your tv connected) use the connection marked ARC connection to your tv this will send sound down from the TV, you will be able to use the TV's remote to control the volume on the amp. Again sound settings set the TV to PCM just the like the blu ray player above.

Apple tv:- if you have one (if you don't get one when you return the topping) use is HDMI straight into the amp you will then able to play music from apple music to its fullest and will be able to control it from your phone. Again going in the settings and set for stereo use all very user-friendly UI's.

There are plenty of options for turn tables my preference is for direct drive table like that of an Audio Technica AT lp140xp, I hate messing around with belts. But the project is a fine choice and will get you up and running.

Hope that helps

Last edited:

Jon Dunlop

Jul 14, 2023
Visit site
Thanks very much for all the advice. I got the Topping so I could stream hi res Apple Music through my iPad (via a usb cable). I do have an Apple TV 4K but I think that only outputs cd quality (?). If I’m wrong your solution would be much neater. I’ll have a look.

WayneKerr

Thanks very much for all the advice. I got the Topping so I could stream hi res Apple Music through my iPad (via a usb cable). I do have an Apple TV 4K but I think that only outputs cd quality (?). If I’m wrong your solution would be much neater. I’ll have a look.
Only my opinion but don't get too caught up in the hi res marketing blurb, CD quality is all you will ever need.

Dom

If I may, Topping tend measure very well at Audio Science Review, hes always recommending Topping gear. Its possible that the DAC in your Marantz is not as good. :unsure:

I read the ASR review of my amplifier and he did not recommend it.

So carry on using the Topping DAC or listen to both and you decide which one is better.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
I think depends on the version of the 4k apple tv. Though in all honesty, i wouldn't get to concerted by it. And you can connect through USB on the front panel of the Marantz when the mood strikes

Last edited:
Reactions: Jon Dunlop

matthewpianist

If I may, Topping tend measure very well at Audio Science Review, hes always recommending Topping gear. Its possible that the DAC in your Marantz is not as good. :unsure:

I read the ASR review of my amplifier and he did not recommend it.

So carry on using the Topping DAC or listen to both and you decide which one is better.

The ASR review didn't recommend your amplifier, but are you enjoying it?

Jon Dunlop

Jul 14, 2023
Visit site
I am - and music certainly sounds much better than through my Sonos system (arc, sub and 2 play:1s). I don’t have much else to compare it with though. I was advised to go for the Marantz because of its network capabilities.
I’ve just read the ASR review. To be honest the graphs and numbers make little sense to me (way beyond my understanding ). It is fairly negative I think, but other reviews I read before buying were much more positive. Whatever - it sounds great to me and I’m enjoying learning about how to get the best from it.

WayneKerr

Thanks. And I think I’ll take your advice re a turntable. I’ll stick with streaming and cds.
If you have a large LP collection then don't let me put you off. If you haven't then it's an expensive format to get into regarding album purchases, and vinyl replay done well does not come cheap regarding kit and ancillaries. If I was starting again it would not be on my shopping list :)

Reactions: Gray and Jon Dunlop

Jon Dunlop

Jul 14, 2023
Visit site
If you have a large LP collection then don't let me put you off. If you haven't then it's an expensive format to get into regarding album purchases, and vinyl replay done well does not come cheap regarding kit and ancillaries. If I was starting again it would not be on my shopping list :)
I don’t have any lps now. They went to the charity shop years ago. I think I just like the idea of all the ritual now I’m back into listening to music. Daft really. I don’t need it and it would cost a fortune.

Reactions: Al ears

doifeellucky

The NR1200 has Airplay 2 so you can stream Apple Music at CD quality directly from your phone or tablet to the amp.

Send the DAC back and stick with coax from your Blu-ray player. I’d also recommend connecting your TV via optical if your setup allows for it. My speakers are on stands either side of my TV.

You already have everything you need. Just enjoy the music.

doifeellucky

I’ve just read the ASR review. To be honest the graphs and numbers make little sense to me (way beyond my understanding ). It is fairly negative I think, but other reviews I read before buying were much more positive. Whatever - it sounds great to me and I’m enjoying learning about how to get the best from it.
ASR is the equivalent of knowing the fuel consumption, 0-60, in gear acceleration, the lap time around the Nurburgring, etc, etc, etc, for your car. Mostly meaningless with regard to what you’ll experience when driving on a great B road, but some of it may come in handy from time to time.

doifeellucky

Actually, HDMI is a better interface than the 40+y old coax. He's lucky he can use one for CD playback.
In what way exactly? I keep seeing comments about lack of HDMI being ‘deal breaker’ but I’m struggling to see any significant benefit for 2 channel audio, other than reducing your cable count. I personally have no interest in playing music through my TV. I prefer to use my phone wirelessly connected to my streamer. Far easier, for me, to search on my phone, than use a remote of some kind, with all the left, right, up, down navigation.

Last edited:

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Physical media is king I like the tactility of vinyl but that's just a personal thing, I get the Spotify premium etc with better quality audio and there's still a noticeable improvement when playing the same music via a cd.
I mostly use streaming to find new music I like then look for the cd ver which are peanuts now.
I will say though vinyl isn't expensive there's loads on ebay and places like hifi sound sell it in all formats for a fiver.
There's second hand decks of plenty of good quality, there's something about the romanticism of vinyl that I've never experienced with any other format.

New stuff mostly is Stu.
I was in HMV with my non-hifi type brother, looking through some £40+ (single) albums.
Amazed, he asked me,
"Do people actually pay these prices?"....seems they must do.

(A think one or two of those £40 albums are about 6 quid on CD).
Pretty much every single album around £40 is pressed by a special method like One-step. You cannot compare them to CDs, try SACD, the price difference then isn't huge.
However, I would agree even normally priced LPs are not exactly cheap.

Gray

Pretty much every single album around £40 is pressed by a special method like One-step. You cannot compare them to CDs, try SACD, the price difference then isn't huge.
However, I would agree even normally priced LPs are not exactly cheap.
Sorry Al, I don't care how they were produced - it would be the sound that I'd be comparing with CD....and that would probably still depend on the master recording.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts