Question Weak sound from powered sub

stventje

Apr 21, 2023
Visit site
Hi,
Ik Steven. I've bought a second hand Philips SW 968 wOOx powered sub.
This was to replace my Creative inspire t3130 powered sub. This comes from a laptop speakerset (€30)

I've currently attached powered sub to my TV aux output, and put the source output on both the speakers from my TV, as wel as the aux output.
With the creative attached, this has given me quite a pleasing sound for some time now.

So now I've attached the Philips sub to the same aux output, with a mono aux to RCA cable. The sound is actually weaker than with the creative attached.

Both of them are powered sub, but the Philips should have a lot more power (40watts... corrected the error).

Does anyone have any idea what is happening here. And how I can fix this.
As you might already expect, I'm not an expert. I'm just looking to find a solution. Any and all opinions are welcome.

Hope someone can help me ☺

Last edited:

gasolin

40 watt

That sub looks like garbage, looks like something super cheap, nothing i would pay anything for. 20 years old i guess you bought it because it was super cheap and worked.

Get something better, still cheap but i would guess better that your current speakers and philips sub + full warranty

stventje

Apr 21, 2023
Visit site
Thank you for your reply. Corrected the output wattage... Quite the mistake. It was free 😅. So yes, super cheap.
I'm not sure how a 8 watt usb powered speaker would do any better though. Or at least not better than the creative I already have.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Jeez don’t hold back!

Op I think your money would be better spent buying a budget sound bar in the future. Don’t waste any more money here.

something like this will be very affordable and give a nice big sound

stventje

Apr 21, 2023
Visit site
Jeez don’t hold back!

Op I think your money would be better spent buying a budget sound bar in the future. Don’t waste any more money here.

something like this will be very affordable and give a nice big sound

Thanks for your responds. I really appreciate that you took the time to look into this.

This might sound crazy, but unfortunately I think soundbars are rather ugly. I am really only looking for a subwoofer.

The stuff I buy is mostly second hand or free. I wasn't planning on spending anything 😅😉👍.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for your responds. I really appreciate that you took the time to look into this.

This might sound crazy, but unfortunately I think soundbars are rather ugly. I am really only looking for a subwoofer.

The stuff I buy is mostly second hand or free. I wasn't planning on spending anything 😅😉👍.

Fair enough. You’ll just have to be mindful of what you look for. Beyond that I can’t really help.

npxavar

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
The Philips SW 968 has a volume knob in the front. Maybe you need to increase the volume there. This volume knob is so that you match the relative volume of the subwoofer to that of the main speakers.

You are supposed to set the volume on the subwoofer once and then leave it there.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts