Yamaha a-s801 vs marantz sr6015?

bilbo6209

Dec 31, 2023
Visit site
I currently have a Yamaha A-s801, old school Technics sl-1200 ( I think that is the model , it is at my brothers getting a new RCA cable put on and getting a good once over) with a Grado stylus (sorry forget what one), smaller ELAC Debut 2.0 b6.2 speakers and a Klipsch 10" sub... I like the sound but am always open to an upgrade. I also have an older soundbar attached to my TV in the same room.

My buddy has a set of very lightly used Martin Logan Motion 60xti and 50xti center channel speakers, a Marantz sr6015 receiver and a REL ht/1508 predator that I can pick up for a VERY good price (somewhere between $1000 and $2000).

I am going to be upgrading the TV very soon and want to either keep my existing music set up and get a new soundbar (really leaning towards the Vizio P514A-H6), OR get the equipment from my buddy and ditch the soundbar (and when, I can convince the wife, get matching rears and maybe atmos speakers too)

I know the speakers would be a huge upgrade, the Sub might be way too much for my room but I'm open to trying it :)
my big question.... is the Receiver going to be an upgrade/lateral move/ or downgrade to the Yamaha I currently have? I know that Generally speaking an integrated amp will have better sound vs a surround sound receiver BUT Marantz has had great amps in the past so I'm not sure. I know both have built in DACs (In the past I have had a Raspberry Pi set up for streaming music, but I also have a Nvidia Shield that is my media player so it can take over the audio streaming also) how do the DACs compare between the two?

I don't listen to a ton of vinyl but enough I am a little concerned about the Phono stage BUT I don't have an issue buying a new phono preamp (I'm really liking what I have read about the Mani 2!)
Eventually the turntable will be moved to the basement along with a tube amp driving my old school Klipsch kg4's so this is more temporary.

any thoughts/input etc would be greatly appreciated!

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Welcomed and a happy new year!

why not have extended listen if he’s you’re buddy and take your amp with you and see what your missing?

No one here is going to be able to make the comparison. Sound and dac’s.

In general no avr’s are not as strong in the sound department and will probably deliver a more hollow sound to your Yamaha. Weather you notice that and you care about that will be completely up to you.

Sorry I can’t be of anymore help than that.

bilbo6209

Dec 31, 2023
Visit site
Welcomed and a happy new year!

why not have extended listen if he’s you’re buddy and take your amp with you and see what your missing?

No one here is going to be able to make the comparison. Sound and dac’s.

In general no avr’s are not as strong in the sound department and will probably deliver a more hollow sound to your Yamaha. Weather you notice that and you care about that will be completely up to you.

Sorry I can’t be of anymore help than that.
I agree I should see if my buddy will let me borrow them for a bit :), or bring my amp to his place... He doesn't have the speakers setup (he has magnaplaners set up now). But I'm sure I could set the speakers up for a trial.

Very good thought!

Reactions: twinkletoes

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts