Damping boomy bass

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I have recently encountered extra boom from my Dynaudio DM 2/7 speakers having just upgraded my amp. The speakers sit 26 cm from the walls, and one of them is in a corner with 26cm to the rear wall and 30cm to the side (this is the boomiest of the speakers). I have resorted to placing the foam bung in the port of the speaker in the corner. This does effect sound quality slightly tho. Bass drum and other drums have lost that kick of air for example, which is necessary to replicate their sound correctly. Some people (from the forum) have kindly suggested things to do, such as using auralex foam pads for the speakers or granite slabs. I may well try these options but am thinking that my main area of boominess is from the air bouncing back off the walls.

I have just showed my flat mate and he seems to have come up with an ingenious idea of using foam like they do in studios, around the actual walls where the speakers are.

Does anybody know if this will work?

Thank you very much.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
radiorog said:
Hi,

I have recently encountered extra boom from my Dynaudio DM 2/7 speakers having just upgraded my amp. The speakers sit 26 cm from the walls, and one of them is in a corner with 26cm to the rear wall and 30cm to the side (this is the boomiest of the speakers). I have resorted to placing the foam bung in the port of the speaker in the corner. This does effect sound quality slightly tho. Bass drum and other drums have lost that kick of air for example, which is necessary to replicate their sound correctly. Some people (from the forum) have kindly suggested things to do, such as using auralex foam pads for the speakers or granite slabs. I may well try these options but am thinking that my main area of boominess is from the air bouncing back off the walls.

I have just showed my flat mate and he seems to have come up with an ingenious idea of using foam like they do in studios, around the actual walls where the speakers are.

Thank you very much.

It's worth trying. You can get a big sheet of 25mm thick acoustic foam on Amazon for around £15. Suck it and see.

I have speakers sitting in a bookcase. I lined the bookcase with acoustic foam and it's removed the boom pretty well.

Matt

scene

Having a speaker in or near a corner can make the bass boom. Before you resort to sticking things to walls, you might want to try:

1. Moving the speaker forward a little (away from the wall behind it)

2. Moving the speaker sideways (away from the side wall)

3. Toeing in your speakers. turn them a few degrees off parallel with the walls - try a few degrees at a time.

All of these can help, but will also change the way the speakers sound.

Also, having read one of your previous threads: Have you still got your speakers on furniture? This can make them boomier, by acting as a sounding board, even if you use blu tak or something to isolate them. Dedicated speaker stands, or even wall mounts might (read: will) help here.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
You can buy ready made corner bass traps that should help with your problem .

There are many designs to choose from but here are a couple to look at .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Professional-Acoustic-Foam-3-ft-11-in-1200mm-Bass-Traps-Sound-Treatment-/290905308150?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item43bb4ebbf6

or these,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acoustic-Sound-Treatment-3ft-High-Bass-Trap-Studio-Foam-/110295200133?pt=UK_MusicalInstruments_Other_Pro_Audio_Equipment&hash=item19ae1b3185

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
scene said:
Having a speaker in or near a corner can make the bass boom. Before you resort to sticking things to walls, you might want to try:

1. Moving the speaker forward a little (away from the wall behind it)

2. Moving the speaker sideways (away from the side wall)

3. Toeing in your speakers. turn them a few degrees off parallel with the walls - try a few degrees at a time.

All of these can help, but will also change the way the speakers sound.

Also, having read one of your previous threads: Have you still got your speakers on furniture? This can make them boomier, by acting as a sounding board, even if you use blu tak or something to isolate them. Dedicated speaker stands, or even wall mounts might (read: will) help here.

I've said to the OP in other thread that he should consider stands for the speakers, speakers on top of furniture is not disireble, as bass frequencies are passed to the box below, and amplified. As the sound of the Dyns will change on top of dedicaded stands!

When I bought my X12 i've had to wait for one week to the stands to arrive, and I've to put them on top of my Monitor Audio B4 and even with Atacama Isolation Gel pads i could ear the box of the MA B4 singing!

Speakers on stands will atenuate the problem, but will not end with it.

My speakers are away from rear wall 60 cm, measurements were taken from the wall to the front of the speaker.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
IMO. You need to sort one problem at a time until your bass boom is satisfactorily mitigated.

The fact that your speakers are sitting on furniture, means that they (the furniture) will act like echo chambers accentuating the bass......so you need to sort this first (by de-coupling).

Once you have taken them out of the equation, you will then know to what extent the room is adding to the problem......it takes a methodical approach through elimination.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
IMO. You need to sort one problem at a time until your bass boom is satisfactorily mitigated.

I agree - last night I moved my speakers in so that they are 95cm from side and back walls.

Wow - what a difference, although wife not happy. Maybe I won't mention accoustic panels - might not need them now. :)

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I bought two pairs of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006LFYOTQ/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Made a very noticable difference, well worth the money IME.

8716833585_ae5a5c4352_b.jpg

8669261488_97936b97d4_b.jpg

radiorog said:
Hi,

I have recently encountered extra boom from my Dynaudio DM 2/7 speakers having just upgraded my amp.. Bass drum and other drums have lost that kick of air for example, which is necessary to replicate their sound correctly.

Thank you very much.

Have you tried experimenting with speaker positioning? If that doesn't work...

People on here have questioned for years my selection of kit. But it sounds like the Brio-R is struggling with the slightly difficult Dyns. As I've always said, design a kit around your room size and acoustics and not vice-versa.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
hoopsontoast said:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006LFYOTQ/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

8716833585_ae5a5c4352_b.jpg

hoops - whats the cushion/white bag for behind the speaker stand?

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
jonathanrebecca said:
hoopsontoast said:

hoops - whats the cushion/white bag for behind the speaker stand?

The Cushion lifts the foam bass traps up off the floor so they sit flush in the corner, lifting them up over the skirting board/heating conduit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts