Damping boomy bass

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
PP, it's def not the brio-r struggling. In the shop demo, i was really struggling to make a decision because i thought the rega was actually lacking bass. same speakers. they were just further from the walls , and a much bigger room. The rega has no problems driving Dynd, the sound, (apart from boom in corner when foam plug not used) is outstanding.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
my thanks to everyone who has contiributed advice.Those foam corners look ideal, as do the pack of 24 tiles also on amazon. I definitely can't move my speakers any more than they are. I dont have room for stands because i also have a bike in my room. I don't want to down size to the dm 2/6 as i have also heard these and i just prefer the overall sound from the 2/7's. I might consider listening to the x12's though if nothing else works. I have one egg box in the kitchen, i could be on an omelette diet for a couple of weeks.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps you could knock up some small isolating stamds for the speakers to sit on....granite choping boards for instance?

radiorog said:
a wardrobe and a chest of drawers. multifunctional speaker stands, but c**p acoustics!

I suppose they're only a few inches from the wall?

Dyns, more than most small speakers, need plenty of space behind them - that's why I've never considered them. I think you could use all the egg boxes and acoustic panels and I'd wager it would make little or no difference.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
radiorog said:
a wardrobe and a chest of drawers. multifunctional speaker stands, but c**p acoustics!

Dyns, more than most small speakers, need plenty of space behind them - that's why I've never considered them. I think you could use all the egg boxes and acoustic panels and I'd wager it would make little or no difference.

Mine are 60cm away from rear wall and i've no boom problem, but my living room is 45sqm! I had MA B4, those babys had front and rear ports lots of bass but the side walls were a nightmare...

I was afraid to buy the litle Dyns X12 as my MA were so big, but nothing like a home demo to clear out things, thats why they got here!

They fill my 45sqm living room with music, i keep asking myself how that is possible...!? :?

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
plastic penguin said:
radiorog said:

Mine are 60cm away from rear wall and i've no boom problem, but my living room is 45sqm! I had MA B4, those babys had front and rear ports lots of bass but the side walls were a nightmare...

I was afraid to buy the litle Dyns X12 as my MA were so big, but nothing like a home demo to clear out things, thats why they got here!

They fill my 45sqm living room with music, i keep asking myself how that is possible...!? :?

That's 2 foot or 24"

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Let my ask you some thing, do you have space to mount some wall shelf, for example Ikea ones?

That way they would be of the forniture, closer to side walls, yes, but you could put some extra cm from rear wall! And with a litle toe in to the inside... And put those twiters at ears level! It's just a thought as I don't have the pic of your room...

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
plastic penguin said:
radiorog said:

That's 2 foot or 24"

it's two foot.

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
plastic penguin said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
plastic penguin said:
radiorog said:

That's 2 foot or 24"

it's two foot.

Exactly - guarantee if they are on a sideboard or cupboars they won't be two foot away. And those cupboards, unless it's real old antique, is like suspended surface. Not surprising he's finding it boomy.

The poster is trying to achieve something those speakers weren't designed to do - including, probably, the wrong height.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Let my ask you some thing, do you have space to mount some wall shelf, for example Ikea ones?

That way they would be of the forniture, closer to side walls, yes, but you could put some extra cm from rear wall! And with a litle toe in to the inside... And put those twiters at ears level! It's just a thought as I don't have the pic of your room...

like this ones.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
there is nothing i can do about the height i am afraid. apart from maybe the wall mount, but will have to check with landlord. i will isolate the speakers eventually. at the moment, with a bung in the one in the corner, things are sounding good. i still ahve the kick and sweet treble from the one at ear level.

I used to have my old Solavox speakers on my parents sideboard, and it sounded fine. However, modern speakers are precision instruments and if placed where they are not meant to be they can sound dreadful.

I wouldn't recommend any speaker - apart from sealed units - to be any less than 12" (300mm), and that's the rear of the monitor.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I totally agree, and if i could get them further away i totally would. If and when i move to new accomodation, i shall look for a bigger room. I used to have my mordaunt shorts on stands, they prob werent so sensitive but it saved space then.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
radiorog said:
yep...i am tempted by the granite boards, especially if i can get them cut to size. space is a real issue, cant have any over hang!

Asda do granite chopping boards for £10, I think they are 40 x 35 so should be big enough.

If you go down the room treatment route this does not look a bad deal: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bronze-Acoustic-Foam-Treatment-Home-Cinema-Kit-Bass-Trap-Tiles-/380423009131?_trksid=p5197.m1998&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D17%26meid%3D7904993277260384446%26pid%3D100017%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D5%26sd%3D110295200133%26

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
BigH said:

I've met the guys from Advanced Acoustics and heard what their products can do........recommended.

In fact the OP should give them a ring, as I found them very approachable and knowledgeable.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
GSB said:
Apart from boomy base,how else can one recognize if room accoustic treatment is needed?

Ideally by measuring your room with an analzing thingy:

http://www.advancedacoustics-uk.com/Cinema-And-Listening-Room-Acoustics/Room-Analysis

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts