Your audio devices and audio shortlist, “if” you were a collector

AJM1981

Maybe a potential topic about stuff we use and stuff you like, otherwise it may be tucked away in the corner of this forum ;).

I will stick with two setups (living and bedroom) and have two Bluetooth speakers and two pairs of headphones. Maybe it sounds like much but I had more and have sold it or given it away. I only kept what I (or my wife) really use.

My current gear:
loudspeakers: Wharfedale EVO 4.2 and Denton 85th
amps: class D: Yamaha Wxa50 , Arylic A50+ , class a/b a 70s Pioneer
Subs: B&W asw608, Polk sub
Headphones: Grado sr80x, Fresh n Rebel clam anc (one is fully open, one fully closed)
Bluetooth speakers : Harman Kardon traveller, JBl clip 2

Currently I am done with amps and loudspeakers. Also the headphones are keepers.

My shortlist sorted from might be to likely not

- B&W T7 Bluetooth speaker (maybe the last candidate I will once buy) almost had one for free with an action at work, but it just crossed a point of going out of retail and was forever out of stock at the moment I could order it. I like it but up to some threshold of budget. Still looking around.

Wharfedale Elysian 2: ‘potential but ‘probably will never be’ replacements for my EVO 4.2. Find them a little over the top for a living room. Almost a theatrical size EVO 4.2. Have had the impression soundwise and I think it is not the drivers but the cabinet size that does slightly more in big lines. Worth some more money but I think they cross a certain point of uncanny territory price wise.

- leak audio amp (should look up the type): beautifully designed amp optically, would be a nice match with my Wharfedale EVO 4.2 or Dentons. But it is a bit of a new old world amp. My current Yamaha beats it at all practical points, for me personally.

Braun Atelier amp: designed by Dieter Rams. Once I could get one for a reasonable price, still don’t know if I should regret I didn’t get one. They were quite common in Germany. But the prices have shot up since the emotional link Rams-Ive was made and Rams was rediscovered as the inspirator to the design of Apple’s products. My favorite is the computer beige or light gray (whatever it is) and I had the idea to make it white in an aesthetic way.

Quad 303, 33, 3FM set: my father had the set, I owned it for a year and then it was sold after I moved abroad. I think it is a great set and would suit really well with the new JBL loudspeakers (those with the orange foam grilles)

The iPod 1 U2 model: Probably rare, probably a collector’s item. Only nice to see as a museum piece. I think these old iPods might be a bit unsafe due to the battery conditions.

A classic gramophone player - once it was tempting, but… nah

What audio devices are on your virtual wish list / in your (virtual) museum? :)

Last edited:

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
you see very few collector pieces these days as Anniversary editions get turned into full production runs KEF ls50's for example.

Mine would be mostly speakers. Electronics hold no value and its diffecult to tell ones would and ultimately if you're going to collect you want them to hold value.

Any apple water shed product. eg the OG Apple Watch, the first iPhone the first iPad the first gen iPod, problem is you never think of it at the time when you purchase. Keep those new M1 computer chaps if you have one, they will be worth money.

B&W nautilus

naim's new nait 50 if it doesn't get turned into a full production run

tannoy legacy range of speakers.

Jbl synthesis array speakers

techinics 1200 they one they released to reinvigorate the brand In 2017 odd

Klispch jubilee

and im sure there would be many more given some thought.

Reactions: AJM1981

AJM1981

you see very few collector pieces these days as Anniversary editions get turned into full production runs KEF ls50's for example.

Mine would be mostly speakers. Electronics hold no value and its diffecult to tell ones would and ultimately if you're going to collect you want them to hold value.
The exclusives will always maintain value and after a while can even go up slightly in price. But that is especially when you leave stuff unboxed and play gambling games with time.

There is a difference between traders and hobby collectors. Usually the latter is losing money in the proces with the first group serving the latter

The way we buy, use and sell electronics will never be really for any gains. I believe an old Quad system I once owned is slightly going up in price but not worth a mention.
Any apple water shed product. eg the OG Apple Watch, the first iPhone the first iPad the first gen iPod, problem is you never think of it at the time when you purchase. Keep those new M1 computer chaps if you have one, they will be worth money.
The ageing battery can be kind of an obstacle for collectors.
B&W nautilus
One of the museum pieces :)
naim's new nait 50 if it doesn't get turned into a full production run

tannoy legacy range of speakers.

Jbl synthesis array speakers

techinics 1200 they one they released to reinvigorate the brand In 2017 odd

Klispch jubilee

and im sure there would be many more given some thought.
Nice list here

Reactions: twinkletoes

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts