Captain Phillips and Gravity are rubbish!

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2457

Anyone else seen them what do you think? And they picked up awards! Total garbage is my view.

D

Deleted member 2457

hammill said:
gel said:
Anyone else seen them what do you think? And they picked up awards! Total garbage is my view.

Name a few films you like

Black Hawk Down, Blood Diamond, Kick-Ass 2, Metallica Through The Never and the Batmams. Too many to list to be honest. :)

D

Deleted member 2457

hammill said:
Ok, would have thought Captain Philips had a chance.

I did prefer that to Gravity but I was still disappointed in both, I was expecting much more.

D

Deleted member 2457

RobinKidderminster said:
GRAVITY Bluray waiting to spin. Captain Phillips in cinema was an excellent film IMO. Guess we all have diff' tastes.

I thought Captain Philllips was better than Gravity but I thought the ending was poor.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I haven't seen Captain P but I concur, Gravity is rubbish. I can appreciate that the special effects are very good and look realistic but, that doesn't make up for a shite story line !

D

Deleted member 2457

eggontoast said:
I haven't seen Captain P but I concur, Gravity is rubbish. I can appreciate that the special effects are very good and look realistic but, that doesn't make up for a shite story line !

Agreed.

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Watched Gravity last night knowing very little about it. Other than it is set in space and it has been nominated for a clutch of awards.

Audio and visually- stunning.

Plot/story- 4/10.

Had some nice ideas in it but the story line was very thin..

Havent seen captain Phillips.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

john1000000boy said:
Watched Gravity last night knowing very little about it. Other than it is set in space and it has been nominated for a clutch of awards.

Audio and visually- stunning.

Plot/story- 4/10.

Had some nice ideas in it but the story line was very thin..

Havent seen captain Phillips.

More or less what I was going to write, so I won't bother.

T

theflyingwasp

WHAT! Everyone is entitiled to an opinion but rubbish I think not my friend .anyone who saw gravity in 3d at the IMAX must had one of the best cinema experiences of their lives and as for captain Philips they could have shaved off 10-15mins but it was a very good film.

i would rather take a baseball bat to the face rather than listen to a Metallica ,pearl Jam or iron maiden album but for me to say they are rubbish is out of order .they are well loved ,hugely successful bands but I just don't like them.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
"Garbage" is a little strong.

Excellent film in my opinion, and the most enjoyment I've had since seeing Cloverfield on the big screen. There were shortcomings as with all films, but these weren't enough to spoil the film.

I haven't seen Captain Phillips yet, but I hear it is even better than the recent Danish film, A Hijacking.

Sometimes I just think that some people don't understand some films, and therefore label them negatively. I never got the hype regarding Suspiria, and I prefer other Argento movies despite Suspiria being very highly regarded. Antichrist, I'm presuming, is an acquired taste, just not for me. Despite not understanding Upstream Color, I appreciated the style. Some films really are a big pile of steaming of Mr.Whippy special with added nuts. Rock Of Ages. John Carter. Movie 43. This Is The End. The Lords Of Salem. Grown Ups 2. Death At A Funeral. Ozombie. Outpost 11. The list goes on. Try and tell me that any of these movies are superior in any way to Gravity and there's just no hope for the film industry.

Maybe seeing it on an IMAX screen in 3D helped my positive experience with regards to Gravity.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

David

Do you fancy joining the WHF Film Club, we now have a vacancy?

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
gel said:

Bit harsh to say both are rubbish, but both have their flaws. Would accept gravity is pretty weak plot/story wise, but as a technical achievement it's stunning (maybe its one of those films that needs to be seen in the cinema to do it justice, have brought the BluRay but not watched it yet).

Captain Philips was probably over-rated but Hanks was very good throughout, and his performance in the final scene was probably one of the best bits of acting I've seen him do for some time.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I'm definitely serious David.

If I remember correctly, you watch an awful lot of films, so one more a month wouldn't be a problem for you. You know a fair amount about films, your taste seems relatively broad, and I think you could add something new to the club.

I'm sure you've looked in on the thread, so you know what it's about, so if you want to, and the other members agree (which I'm sure they will), why not join?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
To be honest, I hadn't looked in on the thread very much at all, I think the last time you were all setting the rules. I presumed it was just for the six members and left it at that. I've just read through about 15 or more pages (up to mentioning Nosferatu) and stopped there as it seemed everyone was waiting on a delivery to France! Are there any specific pages I should read to familiarise myself with what's going on? I'd like to get an idea of the movies that have been nominated so far :)

I generally watch a film a day, and between two and four on days off (except for when F1 and BTCC are taking up my Sundays) . I have LoveFilm and Netflix, so shouldn't be too much of a problem to get films fairly quickly.

Each on their own. Gravity was stunning on IMAX 3D. Yes, there isn't much in story (can't imagine any other story in space though). But visually, it's amongst the best I've seen. That's why I bought a 3D disc, to play when I buy a 3D TV. Amazon posted the disc to me twice this week so far, and I haven't received it! Looks like there's some problem with Royal mail.

I really enjoyed Captain Phillips at the cinema as well, but I won't buy the blu ray.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

David@FrankHarvey said:
To be honest, I hadn't looked in on the thread very much at all, I think the last time you were all setting the rules. I presumed it was just for the six members and left it at that. I've just read through about 15 or more pages (up to mentioning Nosferatu) and stopped there as it seemed everyone was waiting on a delivery to France! Are there any specific pages I should read to familiarise myself with what's going on? I'd like to get an idea of the movies that have been nominated so far :)

I generally watch a film a day, and between two and four on days off (except for when F1 and BTCC are taking up my Sundays) . I have LoveFilm and Netflix, so shouldn't be too much of a problem to get films fairly quickly.

I'll do my best to remember the films chosen so far.

Survive Style 5+

Le Quattro Volte

Monsieur Lahzar

13 Tzameti

Mulholland Drive

Pan's Labyrinth

Delicatessen (This month's film)

It would be good to have you onboard if you want to join.

SonofSun

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Gravity was hyped up to the max , so when I actually saw it I was pretty underwhelmed. Having said that ,I didn't watch it at the cinema so I know I missed a lot of the impact from the special effects. There really wasn't much a plot and it's pretty obvious what is going to happen, so in the end I was glad when it finished.

Captain Phillips on the other hand had a story and I though it was good, Tom Hanks's performance was pretty good as well. and I am not really a massive fan. There is also a Swedish film I saw recently which was also about Somali pirates and was also pretty good.

jjbomber

David@FrankHarvey said:
"Garbage" is a little strong.

He said ''Total garbage in his view''. He is entitled to give his view.

It's all just Hollywood hype. That's all the Oscars are. Argo as best film was a joke, as was Halle Berry when she won an oscar. I've seen better actong on The Woodentops. Take anything Hollywood says with a pinch of salt. There are plenty of internet reviews to find out if a film is any good.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts