Removing Banana Plugs from back of speakers

docpro

Jan 30, 2024
Visit site
This is probably a total noob question so apologies in advance

I need to move house so need to pack my speakers into cardboard boxes for the move

They are B&W PM1s

The hifi shop I bought them from already connected the banana plugs into the back of the speakers before I bought them - so dont know how they put them in

Im unsure if they are supposed to come out now (in order to make the speakers easier to pack without the cable attached)- or are they - and the cable - supposed to stay connected forever?

The transparent plastic cylinder the banana plugs go into have a screw top.

Ive undone the cap fully on one of the plugs and attempted to pull the cable a little - but its not giving the impression its going to move.

What should I do?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5309.jpg
    IMG_5309.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 16

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
This is probably a total noob question so apologies in advance

I need to move house so need to pack my speakers into cardboard boxes for the move

They are B&W PM1s

The hifi shop I bought them from already connected the banana plugs into the back of the speakers before I bought them - so dont know how they put them in

Im unsure if they are supposed to come out now (in order to make the speakers easier to pack without the cable attached)- or are they - and the cable - supposed to stay connected forever?

The transparent plastic cylinder the banana plugs go into have a screw top.

Ive undone the cap fully on one of the plugs and attempted to pull the cable a little - but its not giving the impression its going to move.

What should I do?

Thanks
just gently pull on the red and black shrink wrap, making note of where wires go when you come to put them back in, as they will be in specific places in the back of the amp and you can potentially damage the speakers if done wrong

docpro

Jan 30, 2024
Visit site
That's a first.
Anyone with common sense would have disconnected them for transit after you bought them.
Ive got them out successfully now thanks everyone. Wasnt too much effort in the end. Was just nervous of damaging something yesterday.

Actually youre right. It was almost a decade ago my memory failed me

I did actually push the banana plugs in myself not the shop

Was a tight fit getting them in - so much so now I remember I called B&W thinking I had the wrong plugs or something. And they werent having any of it

Is there no tool that helps getting new plugs in?

TBH I made the mistake of only going for 2m not realising to thread the cable through the PM1s base and stand pillar would eat the best part of half of that.

Considering getting some longer cable - has anything changed much in the pricing and tech cable wise in 10 years?

Looks like I originally paid £296 inc vat for CHORD EPIC TWIN SINGLE WIRE SPKR CBL

Is this the same cable? If so same again today would be £400? or am I being a noob again! :)

Just get some 2.5mm sq. OFC cable of the length you require and some Banana plugs (They are easy to fit), it will be just as good and way cheaper than the overpriced Chord.

Bill
Of course he could probably use what he already has if he runs cables direct and not bother running them up through the stands.
That said I am sure he would get a decent price if he sold his current cables and bought a longer length of Van Damme or similar cables.

Gray

Reactions: Cricketbat70

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts