Oh NO! Cables again!!

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ToppingSMSL

Oct 10, 2024
Visit site
I'm no fan of WHFs purely subjective reviewing methodology, and when they're claiming to hear differences between bits of wire, furniture and the like think they have little credibility.

Hovever, I've never bought into the conspiracy that reviews and advertising are linked.

I'd also question if you have as little faith in WHF reviews as you appear, why your so keen to have them review Topping & SMSL in the first place?
I'm not that keen on them reviewing anything as I don't trust them. look how many 5-star reviews they hand out :D

Of course advertising is linked. It's how they make money. They tell us that cables types matter when they don't, and they have cable advertising. They would never start saying cables don't matter as they'd immediated lose a large amount of advertising revenue.

If companies like Arcam and Marantz would rather WHF didnt review Chinese brands I'm sure the advertising revenue would impact WHF's decision to some degree.

I'm sure they have tried sending to WHF. They seem to send them to everyone on YouTube etc for review. They send them to ASR. I'm sure WHF will chime in to tell us ;)

Also even if they haven't, you'd think if WHF were serious and not biased they'd buy one to test and compare. The fact they're just silent on these brands is quite telling.

Of course to buy one they'd have to crack into their advertising revenue from the big brands.
I have a feeling WHF don't go out and buy kit for review.....and you are assuming said DACs have been sent.

Reactions: DougK1

ToppingSMSL

Oct 10, 2024
Visit site
I have a feeling WHF don't go out and buy kit for review.....and you are assuming said DACs have been sent.
I'm almost certain they don't go out and buy kit for review. I have heard about a small amp manufacturer in the past, however, who offered one of their amps for review and WHF said they'd only review it if they could keep it.

Don't assume the Chinese manufacturers haven't offered DACs for review. They may well have. I can't see why they wouldn't have offered.

daveh75

the forum transcends generations of WTH editorial teams btw.

I've been a member since 2008.... But not really.

When WHF was owned by Haymarket you had Andrew Everard, Clare Newsome etc all regulary contributing to the forum, but they're all, and those days are all long gone.

Then the Forum was closed and WHF taken over by Future and the forum resurrected, at most the current staff might occasionally respond to comments on articles but they certainly aren't active on the forum.

ToppingSMSL

Oct 10, 2024
Visit site
I've been a member since 2008.... But not really.

When WHF was owned by Haymarket you had Andrew Everard, Clare Newsome etc all regulary contributing to the forum, but they're all, and those days are all long gone.

Then the Forum was closed and WHF taken over by Future and the forum resurrected, at most the current staff might occasionally respond to comments on articles but they certainly aren't active on the forum.
Fair enough. I remember the one back in the late 90s.

TRENDING THREADS