can you wire speakers like this?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
running123:
stevee1966:On a similar theme (and i'm sure i'll be told 'NO - IT'LL BLOW YOUR SPEAKERS/AMP'), can 1 pair of speakers be connected to 2 seperate amps. Reason being speakers are currently connected to Stereo amp for audio/cd etc, but would like to utilise these speakers as my front pair in a 5.1 surround setup, therefore need to wire my AV receiver to them as well. If it can't be done with a straightforward cable connection, is there another way to achieve this ? Thanks Is there a reason you cannot use your stereo amp as a power amp for the mains when using it in 5.1, then you wouldnt have to worry about switching to the other amp for stereo as its alreaady going to be used...

Not sure i understand the above. Are you saying that there is a way in which i can use just one set of speakers, and somehow connect them to both my stereo amp (for audio) and my 5.1 channel av receiver (for blu-ray/sky etc) ?

Sorry for being a bit dull with regards to this, and thanks in advance for any info to put me straight.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
stevee1966:running123:
stevee1966:On a similar theme (and i'm sure i'll be told 'NO - IT'LL BLOW YOUR SPEAKERS/AMP'), can 1 pair of speakers be connected to 2 seperate amps. Reason being speakers are currently connected to Stereo amp for audio/cd etc, but would like to utilise these speakers as my front pair in a 5.1 surround setup, therefore need to wire my AV receiver to them as well. If it can't be done with a straightforward cable connection, is there another way to achieve this ? Thanks Is there a reason you cannot use your stereo amp as a power amp for the mains when using it in 5.1, then you wouldnt have to worry about switching to the other amp for stereo as its alreaady going to be used...

Not sure i understand the above. Are you saying that there is a way in which i can use just one set of speakers, and somehow connect them to both my stereo amp (for audio) and my 5.1 channel av receiver (for blu-ray/sky etc) ?

Sorry for being a bit dull with regards to this, and thanks in advance for any info to put me straight.

You don't connect the front stereo pair of speakers to both amps, you connect them to the stereo amp and then make a connection from the AV amp's Front L+R pre-outs to the stereo amp (if your AV amp has them, I don't know what amp you've got). Then you connect all your stereo sources to the stereo amp and only switch that on when listening to music and switch both of the amps on when listening to AV sources. Ideally you have a stereo amp with a fixed gain input which means the volume is controlled entirely by the AV amp, otherwise you have to balance the volume on both amps (which isn't as difficult as it sounds).

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
the_lhc:stevee1966:running123:

You don't connect the front stereo pair of speakers to both amps, you connect them to the stereo amp and then make a connection from the AV amp's Front L+R pre-outs to the stereo amp (if your AV amp has them, I don't know what amp you've got). Then you connect all your stereo sources to the stereo amp and only switch that on when listening to music and switch both of the amps on when listening to AV sources. Ideally you have a stereo amp with a fixed gain input which means the volume is controlled entirely by the AV amp, otherwise you have to balance the volume on both amps (which isn't as difficult as it sounds).

Thanks for that. I use a Marantz PM7001 stereo amp and a Denon AVR-1507 receiver. Not sure what pre-outs they may have off the top of my head. Shall take a look later.

A

Anonymous

I actually think it would work fine.

You certainly wouldn't "fry your speakers" as you were woried.
If anything the amp would pop.

(No warranty implied)
;P

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
ashworth_rich:I actually think it would work fine.

You certainly wouldn't "fry your speakers" as you were woried.
If anything the amp would pop.

Oh well, that's fine then...

A

Anonymous

LOL - ok it was a bit of a weak reply.
effectively its just doubling the power to one speaker, provided this isnt more than the speaker can handle, why would it break?

Or more importantly why would the amp care?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
stevee1966:Thanks for that. I use a Marantz PM7001 stereo amp and a Denon AVR-1507 receiver. Not sure what pre-outs they may have off the top of my head. Shall take a look later.

Unfortunately your AV amp doesn't have the required preouts for you to do this, from what I can tell.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
ear:stevee1966 your Denon doesnt have pre outs

d'oh! I refreshed the page and everything before I started my reply!
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

ashworth_rich:LOL - ok it was a bit of a weak reply.effectively its just doubling the power to one speaker, provided this isnt more than the speaker can handle, why would it break?Or more importantly why would the amp care?

is this in regard to my original question? it doesnt make any sense to me why it wouldnt work, and i agree with you. The speakers could easily take the double power without popping (tbh they could take 2-3 of these amps each safely)

A

Anonymous

what would you guys reccomend out of the behringer a500 and the other amps mentioned eg the stageline and sampson? Are the alesis ra series worth trying?

A

Anonymous

running123:
ashworth_rich:LOL - ok it was a bit of a weak reply.effectively its just doubling the power to one speaker, provided this isnt more than the speaker can handle, why would it break?Or more importantly why would the amp care?

is this in regard to my original question? it doesnt make any sense to me why it wouldnt work, and i agree with you. The speakers could easily take the double power without popping (tbh they could take 2-3 of these amps each safely)

Yes it was. In response to wiring both channels up to one speaker.
If you don't give a cr.ap about your amp and if your speakers will take double the amps power (seem to recall the wharfdales are monsters so should do), then you could try it. I would say at you could keep the volume low, but I think your whole reason was to get some serious volume!

As the others have said, just get some pro PA gear off eBay.

chunky70

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Hi ear-i use these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Monitor-Audio-Bronze-BX6-Floorstanding/dp/B003VTX89W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1299015704&sr=1-3-spell they are only rated at 150 watts per channel but handle the extra power no problem.These behringers really are a bargain at £320 for two, with massive amounts of power whats not to like! They sound as clean fast and detailed as any other amp i've heard (that includes anything at treble the price).As i say i use these as monoblocks for both channels and also use a beresford tc-7520 as a pre amp (just turn up the gains on the amps too full and use the volume from the dac). Amazing bargain these,never discount pro audio gear for hi-fi!

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
That model caught my eye because the conections are RCA, usually these Pa amps have other types not really suited for home use.very good idea your. Some videos on youtube maybe?

A

Anonymous

I have a budget i have to stick to, no exceptions, it doesnt matter if i get "much more performance for x amount more" as this is always true and you need a brick wall limit somewhere...£200, so cant get 2 behringers and cannot afford a preamp. Will one run my speakers to their potential without overheating?

If I were to get a a500, would i NEED a preamp? I do not have a dj mixer to control volume. I would have to use the line out jack from either a laptop/ipod/soundblaster soundcard plugged into a laptop. Is it okay to use the gain controls on the amp?

chunky70

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Hi running123, yes you can just run one amp in stereo mode and use your dj mixer as the pre amp. Use amp gains at full volume and control volume from dj mixer. I ran one amp for months before getting another one. It will power any speaker you throw at it with huge volume and headroom!

chunky70

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Sorry just read your post again (had a few tonight!) you dont have a dj mixer!No problem just plug source into rca sockets and control volume from gains (2 channels doubles up as balance) This amp will never overheat or cut out in a domestic situation!

A

Anonymous

chunky70: This amp will never overheat or cut out in a domestic situation!

Not an entirely domestic situation...basically running the speakers to max before distortion for hours on end with bass heavy music.

Overheated an arcam alpha 9, does this provide considerably more headroom (not so much headroom as not overheating)? thanks so much for your help.

chunky70

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Don't worry about the ability of this amp, it's designed for studio and small club application. Your not running a club are you! You're speakers will give out before this amp will!

A

Anonymous

chunky70:Don't worry about the ability of this amp, it's designed for studio and small club application. Your not running a club are you!

At 3-400 drugged up students at a house party from 2-8am we're pretty much the same thing...I really dont understand this, the valdus 500's are 93db efficient hifi speakers which i was repeatedly told were "easy to drive" but they've chopped up and screwed every amp ive ever put on the end of them.

A

Anonymous

ear:have many times my laptop conected to my amp and control the sound through the laptop

but if the jack gets ripped out/some idiot turns it up to max/clipping while im not looking the speakers could blow...thats why im worried about leaving the gains on maxx...

chunky70

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Yes the valdus are easy to drive, but you also need an amp with high current delivery and a large toroidal transformer. A domestic hi-fi amp will in most ocassions not be designed for such demanding useage. The behringer has all of these requirments. Have no fear on the amp,if you buy one of these fear for your speakers!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts