can you wire speakers like this?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Dont ask why i want to do this but i have my reasons, can you wire both audio terminals to the same set of speakers (when they're not biwireable), eg cram the wire from the left and right "red" to the same banana plug and the same for the black? Would this yield more power than just running one channel higher?

From my thinking it wouldnt short (unless you wired one of them out of phase?)

THanks

cheyworth

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
From reading your post you want to run the Left/Right "red" from the amp to the "red" on the speaker, and the same for the black?

This will be very bad for the amp- you are shorting the terminals and thins could go BANG!

if like Badfish said you are running "red" A/B cables from amp to "red" on the speaker all you are doing is increasing the size of cable to the speakers and all will be fine.

Chris

A

Anonymous

i dont underrstand the distinction...the amp has left red/black and right red black, i want to run left+right red to red on the speaker and the same for black?

A

Anonymous

I have a tangent amp 50 (my arcam alpha 9 is broke) attatched to some wharfedale valdus 500's, and i can get another amp 50 for £20-30 so i figured i can can possibly get a lot more power from the amp(s) as it plays loud enough but overheats and shuts down...(the arcam was just as bad for this/worse)

. Basically i'm hoping that it wont struggle if it only has to drive 3 woofers instead of 6, and its a cheap way of increasing power, and can resell it if it doessnt work...just dont want to fry my speakers.

It has only 4 outputs, one red/black per channel. Does this mean i cannot configure it like this?

cheyworth

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Each amp has one left and one right chanel, you can NOT connect both together to make a more powerful amp, unless it has been designed to be bridged (your amps can't) bridging is done by reconfiguring the amp internally.

I would suggest getting a more powerful amp.

A

Anonymous

ok thanks, wont try it then. can someone recommend an amp which doesnt overheat please? £200 or less

A

Anonymous

Ok thanks, can you recommend a pa amp for £200 (the speakers are fine and play clean undistorted music at high enough levels), basically I want the best sounding £200 or less pa amp with a fan in it and a gain control. Need around 100-200w rms (not that bothered about power as long as the damn thing doesnt overheat)-even a bargin basement £50 new hifi amp plays loud enough.

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
On a similar theme (and i'm sure i'll be told 'NO - IT'LL BLOW YOUR SPEAKERS/AMP'), can 1 pair of speakers be connected to 2 seperate amps.

Reason being speakers are currently connected to Stereo amp for audio/cd etc, but would like to utilise these speakers as my front pair in a 5.1 surround setup, therefore need to wire my AV receiver to them as well.

If it can't be done with a straightforward cable connection, is there another way to achieve this ?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

cheyworth:
what sort of sound are you wanting?

Did you like the Arcam?

Yes I loved the arcam but my only point of reference was the tangent so i think I would have preferred anything to that, i am currently getting it repaired but im going to sell it because it overheated.

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
running123:Ok thanks, can you recommend a pa amp for £200 (the speakers are fine and play clean undistorted music at high enough levels), basically I want the best sounding £200 or less pa amp with a fan in it and a gain control. Need around 100-200w rms (not that bothered about power as long as the damn thing doesnt overheat)-even a bargin basement £50 new hifi amp plays loud enough.

Bingo

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
stevee1966:On a similar theme (and i'm sure i'll be told 'NO - IT'LL BLOW YOUR SPEAKERS/AMP'), can 1 pair of speakers be connected to 2 seperate amps. Reason being speakers are currently connected to Stereo amp for audio/cd etc, but would like to utilise these speakers as my front pair in a 5.1 surround setup, therefore need to wire my AV receiver to them as well. If it can't be done with a straightforward cable connection, is there another way to achieve this ? Thanks

Good question as obviously you would only have one amp switched on at a time.

cheyworth

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
f1only:

stevee1966:On a similar theme (and i'm sure i'll be told 'NO - IT'LL BLOW YOUR SPEAKERS/AMP'), can 1 pair of speakers be connected to 2 seperate amps. Reason being speakers are currently connected to Stereo amp for audio/cd etc, but would like to utilise these speakers as my front pair in a 5.1 surround setup, therefore need to wire my AV receiver to them as well. If it can't be done with a straightforward cable connection, is there another way to achieve this ? Thanks

This will NOT work, if both amps are connected (even if one is switched off) one or both will be damaged (think driving a car forwards @ 60 and slamming in reverse major damage to the engine) this will only work with one amp connected and swapping cables.

A

Anonymous

cheyworth:f1only:

This will NOT work, if both amps are connected (even if one is switched off) one or both will be damaged (think driving a car forwards @ 60 and slamming in reverse major damage to the engine) this will only work with one amp connected and swapping cables.

I think putting bananna plugs on the end of the cables is your best bet and swap over. Is there a reason you cannot use your stereo amp as a power amp for the mains when using it in 5.1, then you wouldnt have to worry about switching to the other amp for stereo as its alreaady going to be used...

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Problem i have is i have to move a heavy wooden unit out to get behind my gear so it's a bit impracticle. I havnt bought an intergrated amp yet so worth asking the question. It will be easier for me to unplug at the speaker end in that case & just run another pair of speaker wires to each, I have banana plugs, so its no problem. Thankyou for the info. Just need to shop for reasonable Amp now.

A

Anonymous

on the point of the pa power amps, would the pyle not be more at risk of blowing the speakers due to its immense power (700w rms at 4 ohms, and the speakers drop to 4ohms)

my other concern is that it is an immense amount of watts for the money, surely there has to be a catch? Would this sound better? http://www.htfr.com/product.php?productID=290092 and given that it states "it is more than capable of powering speakers at high levels for long periods with no risk of over heating." do the job just aswell given that an ambitiously rated tangent 50wpc tangent amp is capable but overheats.

I may well be missing something here...

A

Anonymous

f1only:
Problem i have is i have to move a heavy wooden unit out to get behind my gear so it's a bit impracticle. I havnt bought an intergrated amp yet so worth asking the question. It will be easier for me to unplug at the speaker end in that case & just run another pair of speaker wires to each, I have banana plugs, so its no problem. Thankyou for the info. Just need to shop for reasonable Amp now.

whats the model of your reciever, you could probably use a pre out from the 5.1 amp to the intergrated amp to power the mains all the time, in which case the 5.1 amp would not ever be used to power the front speakers, which would sound better for movies and save you the effort of chopping and changing the wires

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I have a Denon 1910 which i could use the Zone 2 as pre-outs i believe to another amp, which i have realised rather defeats what i was going to try. Its best i think just to carry on, get another amp & cd player for the best sound. As a previous post said just run another set of speaker cables to the new amp as the speaker end is easier to change around.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts