Visit site
My current system:
Rotel RA1062 Amp - purchased 2006
Rotel RCD 1072 CD Player - purchased 2006
KEF Q500 Speakers - purchased 2017
QED XT25 - Speaker cable
QED Qunex 4s interconnects - purchased 2006
Chord Banana Plugs

I have recently noticed a difference in sound coming from each speaker. One is warm and bassy, the other seems tinny and high in treble. When balance is in the middle it sounds as I would expect, however there is a huge difference when switching between. I have switched the leads around from the back of the amp and the back of the speakers to no avail. It remains the left channel that is of poorer quality. I have even plugged the speaker cable into my recently purchased Q Acoustics 3010Is and get the same result. This led me to think that there was a problem with the Amp, however I then switched my Amp to one I acquired years ago that never use (Cambridge Audio 1 V3.0) and guess what the same result!
Is it supposed to be this way?

Attachments

• IMG_1955.jpg
    IMG_1955.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1956.jpg
    IMG_1956.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 26

abacus

Swap the left & right connections on the CD player to see if it changes channels.

I notice you are using biwire speaker cables, so it is possible that the one feeding the bass is faulty.

BTW. biwiring offers no benefit over single cable with the links connected on the speakers.

The bass speaker may be faulty.

Bill

Reactions: WayneKerr

nicko231070

Dec 1, 2023
Visit site
Thank you for your help.
I notice you are using biwire speaker cables, so it is possible that the one feeding the bass is faulty.

If the cable was faulty it would follow to the different speaker when I changed it over wouldn't it? Though that wouldn't explain why it does it using the Q Acoustics 3010Is.

Gray

Thank you for your help.

If the cable was faulty it would follow to the different speaker when I changed it over wouldn't it? Though that wouldn't explain why it does it using the Q Acoustics 3010Is.
Have you actually swapped over L & R cables between CD player and amp yet?
If so, did the symptom stay on the left or switch to the right speaker?

And, are you bi-wiring your speakers (running two pairs to each speaker) or not?

Last edited:

nicko231070

Dec 1, 2023
Visit site
Have you actually swapped over L & R cables between CD player and amp yet?
If so, did the symptom stay on the left or switch to the right speaker?

And, are you bi-wiring your speakers (running two pairs to each speaker) or not?
Yes I have swapped over the cables and it stays with the same speaker. I am not bi-wiring no.

Gray

Yes I have swapped over the cables and it stays with the same speaker. I am not bi-wiring no.
You just need to step back and take a logical look at the facts.
Based on what you've reported:
Source CDP and cables are OK.
Amp is OK.
Speakers are not faulty - because the symptom was the same with the Q Acoustics.

Bill's terminal link suggestion above is the most likely suggestion for your symptom - but that would mean that, on both Kef and QA speakers, the plate hasn't been linking the terminals properly - on the left speaker only, each time - which surely isn't the case???

I haven't checked, but I'm assuming that the Kefs have 4 terminals on each speaker.

If so remove the links and plug your speaker wire into the lower (LF) terminals to see what you get, with music playing.

How does that compare with the LF on the other speaker?

nicko231070

Dec 1, 2023
Visit site
You just need to step back and take a logical look at the facts.
Based on what you've reported:
Source CDP and cables are OK.
Amp is OK.
Speakers are not faulty - because the symptom was the same with the Q Acoustics.

Bill's terminal link suggestion above is the most likely suggestion for your symptom - but that would mean that, on both Kef and QA speakers, the plate hasn't been linking the terminals properly - on the left speaker only, each time - which surely isn't the case???

I haven't checked, but I'm assuming that the Kefs have 4 terminals on each speaker.

If so remove the links and plug your speaker wire into the lower (LF) terminals to see what you get, with music playing.

How does that compare with the LF on the other speaker?
Yes they have 4 terminals, plugged in as per the pic. to the lower terminals. The black switches are screwed fully clockwise as per the instruction manual. However when I turn them clock-wise the sounds alters. Makes me think of a poor connection somewhere. More investigation needed when I get chance.

Attachments

• IMG_1966.jpg
    IMG_1966.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 24
Yes they have 4 terminals, plugged in as per the pic. to the lower terminals. The black switches are screwed fully clockwise as per the instruction manual. However when I turn them clock-wise the sounds alters. Makes me think of a poor connection somewhere. More investigation needed when I get chance.
Tricky if those speakers have an internal connection between hi and low connection. Those banana plugs don't look as if they are inserted far enough.
You said you had the same issues with another pair of speakers so this doesn't really make sense.
You could unscrew the black switches and get a pair of jumper connectors to physically wire between both hi and low terminals.

nicko231070

Dec 1, 2023
Visit site
Tricky if those speakers have an internal connection between hi and low connection. Those banana plugs don't look as if they are inserted far enough.
You said you had the same issues with another pair of speakers so this doesn't really make sense.
You could unscrew the black switches and get a pair of jumper connectors to physically wire between both hi and low terminals.
I agree they don't look all the way in. I have tried to push them in further but that's as far as they go.

Gray

Yes they have 4 terminals, plugged in as per the pic. to the lower terminals.
OK.
I wouldn't expect factory / dealer terminated QED speaker cables to be intermittent.
And your plugs are in far enough for test purposes.

Connected as shown in your diagram, with the thumbscrews turned fully anticlockwise you should be getting only mid / bass sound with no high frequencies.
Are you?

Do that as the first part of your planned further investigation.

The only 'change' to the sound turning the screws fully clockwise should make is to add in the HF.

If need be, do exactly the same on the other speaker so you know what sound you should be getting.
(Obviously use the same, full frequency music for the tests).

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
I would diagnose just using the 3010i's as they are new and only have two binding posts, which keeps things simple. You've tried 2 amps and 2 pairs of speakers and you stated that everything was previously working fine. Did you do anything between everything working as normal and then noticing the issue?
Have you tried using a different source to eliminate the CD player as the problem?

Gray

I would diagnose just using the 3010i's as they are new and only have two binding posts, which keeps things simple. You've tried 2 amps and 2 pairs of speakers and you stated that everything was previously working fine. Did you do anything between everything working as normal and then noticing the issue?
Have you tried using a different source to eliminate the CD player as the problem?
If he says where he lives, one of us can go round.
I think you're in America, but it might still be a quicker solution 👍

Reactions: WayneKerr

nicko231070

Dec 1, 2023
Visit site
I cant remember when it changed which I know is disappointing, but busy lives and all that! I will try a different source next up. Thank you.
I live in Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire if any body fancies a trouble shooting trip ;)

Gray

on KEF speakers, those black dials need to turned to the correct position to link both terminals together. Have you tried adjusting them?
He has Steve.
See post #11 where he says that when he turns them clockwise 'the sound alters'.
If you look at his photo (with the cable feed to the LF terminals), you'd expect the linking to just be adding in the HF, as it should.

We haven't even really got to the bottom of his complaint yet, let alone its cure ;)

Reactions: SteveH72

SteveH72

Feb 25, 2020
Visit site
He has Steve.
See post #11 where he says that when he turns them clockwise 'the sound alters'.
If you look at his photo (with the cable feed to the LF terminals), you'd expect the linking to just be adding in the HF, as it should.

We haven't even really got to the bottom of his complaint yet, let alone its cure ;)
Ah, my bad for not reading thread thoroughly enough.
Could part of the problem be that the right speaker is tucked in a bass-booming corner, and the other is in more space?

Reactions: Dougal1331

Gray

Ah, my bad for not reading thread thoroughly enough.
Could part of the problem be that the right speaker is tucked in a bass-booming corner, and the other is in more space?
Anything's possible in this case 🤪
He's mentioned a tinny sound on the left speaker - as if the LF was missing.
BUT, (I think) he also reported the same symptom on the L channel of his Q Acoustics speakers :unsure:
2 different amps give the symptom and he's swapped CD to amp L & R cables, where (I think) the symptom stayed on the left. Which means, unlikely as it is to be the cause, the CDP is still in the frame as the culprit.....(plugging headphones directly into that wouldn't be a bad idea).

nicko231070

Dec 1, 2023
Visit site
Ok, thanks for all your advice. I have hooked up an old Yamaha tape deck I have. The issue is not present from this source. Its not the best sounding in general but it clearly has the same notes, treble, bass coming from both of the speakers. From this can I assume the problem is from the CDP? What could be the problem, is it fried or fixable?

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Ok, thanks for all your advice. I have hooked up an old Yamaha tape deck I have. The issue is not present from this source. Its not the best sounding in general but it clearly has the same notes, treble, bass coming from both of the speakers. From this can I assume the problem is from the CDP? What could be the problem, is it fried or fixable?
You could check the interconnects on your CDP, how is it connected to the amp, I assume via RCA analogue? If you're able to open up, check for dried solder or loose binding posts, it might be a small thing?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts