Room acoustics for a beginner

oriondarkred

Dec 7, 2023
Visit site
Hi All,

Hi I have recently acquired a Wiim amp and used KEF LS50 speakers and I want to get some guidance on placement and room acoustics. Unfortunately I only have a squar-ish room to use for listening( pictures attached). I will soon have delivery of a Dayton UMM-6 calibration mic, so that I can get some measurements with REW on the frequency response.

Living Room (1).png

My plan is to get some speaker stands to place the speakers on and try some positions, I also was wondering if a subwoofer or couple of them can help with frequency response of my room. I am also open to add some room treatment. I know being a square-ish room it can never sound best but I was wondering if I can some advice from the forum. Also attaching some other pictures for reference

Thanks

whatsapp-image-2024-01-15-at-16-01-21-jpg.5942
WhatsApp Image 2024-01-15 at 16.01.20.jpg

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-01-15 at 16.01.21.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-01-15 at 16.01.21.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 87
Reactions: Oxfordian
Speaker stands will make a MASSIVE difference! Especially as you’ve crammed the speakers into slots, and on a wooden shelf, both of which will severely compromise their performance. They are too close to the wall and too low, though their design means they can cope fairly well above and below ideal height.

The good thing is you aren’t sitting with your back next to the rear wall, And you’ve a nice rug!

Once you’ve played around on stands, we can think about anything else. Personally I wouldn’t dream of subs in that space, but some people might. And I’d start by beaming the speakers straight at me, in a triangle layout, then straighten them to see how you like the difference.

Reactions: DougK1

Juzzie Wuzzie

On the off-chance you live in London, I have a pair of B&W STAV24 stands you are welcome to borrow if you want to give them a go. Not specifically manufactured for your KEFs, but expect it would give you an idea.

I'm expecting you'll be concerned about the look of full size stands (given how nice the room is) so you could also consider smaller c. 20cm stands that will allow you to place the speakers off the floor, but out of the bookshelf. Not ideal if you have children / pets / etc.

Reactions: Stuart83

oriondarkred

Dec 7, 2023
Visit site
Thank you very much for your replies. @nopiano that is my exact idea, about the height of the speakers I have heard it's best them to keep to ear height. Does this not apply to KEFs or maybe its not a universal rule I had previously thought it was? About the sub I only thought because to correct the frequency response really, I don't particularly feel the need for one music wise at the moment.

@Juzzie Wuzzie I actually do! I am based in Croydon. Thank you very much for your kind offer, how high are those? I am initially thinking to get 60cm high, to see how they look in the space. Does speaker height affects the sound much? I was thiking to it low so my Sofa perhaps can absorb some of that extra energy in small space?

Thank you very much for your replies. @nopiano that is my exact idea, about the height of the speakers I have heard it's best them to keep to ear height. Does this not apply to KEFs or maybe its not a universal rule I had previously thought it was?
Yes, definitely better at ear height. KEF’s concentric driver, with tweeter in the ‘throat’ of the woofer means it has very even dispersion. So it isn’t so ‘odd’ sounding as traditional two-way speakers when you’re way off axis.

I had mine on stands that were too low, because they were the best ones that were convenient. But they still sounded great. See pic. The ATCs behind had the tweeter at ear height, though the difference is exaggerated by the camera angle.

View: https://imgur.com/r8ttUo2

Oxfordian

Hi All,

Hi I have recently acquired a Wiim amp and used KEF LS50 speakers and I want to get some guidance on placement and room acoustics. Unfortunately I only have a squar-ish room to use for listening( pictures attached). I will soon have delivery of a Dayton UMM-6 calibration mic, so that I can get some measurements with REW on the frequency response.

View attachment 5939

My plan is to get some speaker stands to place the speakers on and try some positions, I also was wondering if a subwoofer or couple of them can help with frequency response of my room. I am also open to add some room treatment. I know being a square-ish room it can never sound best but I was wondering if I can some advice from the forum. Also attaching some other pictures for reference

Thanks

whatsapp-image-2024-01-15-at-16-01-21-jpg.5942
View attachment 5940
I dream of having a room that big, I'm stuck in the spare bedroom with my back to the wall.

One day those six numbers will drop in.

Reactions: twinkletoes

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts