Question Did I connected my speakers right?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
It is.
Seems to me the OP saw 4 terminals on the speakers and amp - and merely used them all.
I don't think he was seeking the 'benefit' of bi-wiring.....and, let's face it, that's just as well 😉

The impedance of your speakers isn't relevant to bi-wiring Al.
(But I'm sure you won't be doing it anyway 👍)
In this particular case why wouldn't impedance be relevant?

I've read a few technical paragraphs here and there, but I doubt the end result will be guaranteed better sound quality. Some mentioned the decrease in resistance, but there is also a capacitive increase with extra cables. I tried bi-wiring many years ago and noticed zero change.
those speakers are hard enough to drive, with a minimum impedance of 2.85 ohm, even when single wired so I certainly wouldn't be biwiring and having to use the amp in the Speakers A+B position.....here the recommended loading is 8-16 ohm

Gray

In this particular case why wouldn't impedance be relevant?
Because, electrically, his method of connection is identical to how it would be if he'd wired the 2 cables just to his A terminals.
In other words, all he's done is to connect a single pair of speakers to his amp.

The reason for the 8-16 ohm advice on the amp is just to caution those intending to use a second pair of speakers.
If each pair was 8 ohms, with the single A pair selected - no problem.
But additionally switching in the B pair would half the impedance (because the 2 pairs are connected in parallel, doubling the effective load on the amp).

They advise using 2 pairs of 16 ohm speakers (good luck with finding them) so that, with both of those pairs on, the amp only sees an 8 ohm load.

But that impedance caution is irrelevant in this case.

Exactly, the load the amplifier sees is just one pair of speakers and not two.
Unfortunately here I would have to disagree.
Regardless of how many speakers he has connected the ones he has are a difficult load.
The amplifier clearly states that using it with A+B enabled then 8-16ohms is the acceptable loading.....irrespective of how many speakers / drivers are actually attached.
That said, if the OP is happy connecting his speakers like this, then who am I to say otherwise.

Gray

Unfortunately here I would have to disagree.
Regardless of how many speakers he has connected the ones he has are a difficult load.
The amplifier clearly states that using it with A+B enabled then 8-16ohms is the acceptable loading.....irrespective of how many speakers / drivers are actually attached.
That said, if the OP is happy connecting his speakers like this, then who am I to say otherwise.
Whether his speakers are ideally suited to his amp is a different matter Al.

But believe me, with just a single pair of speakers connected, you can disregard that 16 ohm impedance caution on his - and any other amp with parallel AB switching - it's warning the ((foolish) second pair crowd 👍

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
This wiring is horizontal bi amping. The terminal links are removed from the speakers. Amp A is powering the HF speakers and amp B is powering the LF speaker. It doesn't matter that the amps are running in parallel. If he switches the amp output to speakers A he will only get sound from the LF drivers (or the HF drivers, depending on which terminals amp A is connected to).
If this is not the case, then B & W did not design the crossover to allow for bi amping and it's a total waste of time having 4 binding posts with terminal links.

El Puerco Volante

Jul 31, 2024
Visit site
It is.
Seems to me the OP saw 4 terminals on the speakers and amp - and merely used them all.
I don't think he was seeking the 'benefit' of bi-wiring.....and, let's face it, that's just as well 😉

The impedance of your speakers isn't relevant to bi-wiring Al.
(But I'm sure you won't be doing it anyway 👍)
This is indeed correct 😁

It will seem not very bright to the well-navigated crowd here, but my thinking was - "there are 4 terminals on both devices, that must be for a reason"..

I'm still not sure if I bi-wired or bi-amped here and if it's actually a good idea 😊

But the discussion is honestly very interesting to follow for me, hope we'll come to a conclusion 🙂

Reactions: DougK1 and Gray

Gray

...my thinking was - "there are 4 terminals on both devices, that must be for a reason"..
I thought that was your reasoning.
I'm still not sure if I bi-wired or bi-amped here
You can be sure it's bi-wired.
and if it's actually a good idea 😊
For something to be a good idea it (surely) needs to pass the blind listening test.
Most people will tell you that bi-wiring won't pass the test and show an advantage 😐

Mind you, people buy expensive speaker cables....ask them if they've done meaningful blind tests.
No actually, don't bother 😆

I thought that was your reasoning.

You can be sure it's bi-wired.

For something to be a good idea it (surely) needs to pass the blind listening test.
Most people will tell you that bi-wiring won't pass the test and show an advantage 😐

Mind you, people buy expensive speaker cables....ask them if they've done meaningful blind tests.
No actually, don't bother 😆
I have expensive speaker cables only because the chap I bought the speakers off threw them in for free as same manufacturer as the speakers themselves.
Also, I don't know anybody who has ever blind tested speaker cables...... Or any cables come to that.
Let's not turn this thread into another cable thread though, there's nothing so pointless.
To the OP I would say that if I had an amplifier with the facility to use a second pair of speakers in a different room I would wire my speakers differently to keep that facility available.....and save money on the cost of another pointless run of speaker cable.
My opinion only you understand.
however, as you already have purchased the speaker cable best leave it as it is.

Last edited:

Gray

This wiring is horizontal bi amping.
It is not any type of bi-amping.

I was hoping that I wouldn't have to do one of my (diabolical) drawings....but a picture speaks a thousand words.

Inside the blue box below is how it is inside his amp.
There is a SINGLE amp output.... parallel feeding terminals A and terminals B via switches.

The drawing shows how he's connected to his speakers:
IMG_20240813_172317_MP.jpg
Other bi-wirers might have paired both cables at the A terminals but, as you can clearly see, that would be electrically identical to what he's done.

No more than one amp involved.
So obviously NOT bi-amping.

(And hopefully Al can see why the 16 ohm caution doesn't apply).

I was hoping that I wouldn't have to do one of my (diabolical) drawings....but a picture speaks a thousand words.

There is a SINGLE amp output.... parallel feeding terminals A and terminals B via switches.

View attachment 7239
Other bi-wirers might have paired both cables at the A terminals but, as you can clearly see, that would be electrically identical to what he's done.

you are correct in the way he has bi-wired his speakers. I have just looked again and he hasn't wired them as I initially thought which is why I made the comments I did.
however, it is totally unnecessary to wire these speakers in this fashion.
multiple speaker binding posts are there to enable bi-amping or if you are really affluent and have the right speakers, tri-amping....

Reactions: Gray

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
Then why ask the original question?

Seems a waste of timid and effort.

DG…
Because he wasn't sure, and it has been a very enlightening thread for me personally. Many guys on here with far more knowledge than I and this is the way most of us learn, through transfer and sharing of knowledge and experience. Isn't this the fundamental basis for a good forum?

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site

View attachment 7239

This is NOT even close to how he has them wired according to his photographs.

RobSys

Jul 22, 2022
Visit site
For many years I had a pair of Monitor Audio speakers coupled to an Audiolab integrated amp plus a separate (larger) Audiolab power amp. The integrated amp fed the high frequency posts while the power amp fed the low frequencies. This is bi-amping!
It has the benefit of providing more consistent power to the speakers.
Bi-wiring (as originally discussed here) has no benefit and can actually be detrimental in view of the speaker impedances...

Last edited:

DiggyGun

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site
I've asked because while it seemed a logical way to me, I wasn't sure that it actually is.

I hope it wasn't too annoying!

To me it was very interesting and I've learned a lot. Very grateful for everyone's info and support 🙂
Notwithstanding that, you’ve had lots of replies and you’re grateful for them, yet you’ve stated that you’re going to leave it as it is.

I’m signing off now from this thread to let you listen to the music.

DG…

Gray

Notwithstanding that, you’ve had lots of replies and you’re grateful for them, yet you’ve stated that you’re going to leave it as it is.

I’m signing off now from this thread to let you listen to the music.

DG…
He's learned that he did nothing wrong as such (regardless of how others prefer to do things).
And that, after all, was his original thread question (y)

Reactions: El Puerco Volante

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Hello all,

I need help to understand if I connected my speakers correctly to the amp.

The speakers (b&w 603) have 4 attachment points for the wire each.

Let's start with the right speaker:

I've connected the black/red wire from the top pair of speaker connectors (marked HF) to the top R speaker connectors (marked A) on the amp (Advance Paris A10).

Then I connected the black/red wire from the low pair of speaker connectors (maker LF) to the low R speaker connectors (marked B) on the amp

The left speaker is wired in the same way.

I'm attaching the photos to hopefully make this clear.

It works.

But I'm not sure that this is the correct way ?

Big thanks in advance!
Interesting 🤔
Not wrong nor conventionally right but interesting.

Certainly one way of utilising both systems A&B on one pair of speakers unnecessarily to by-wire.

I would be very careful with your insinuations....
However, you are correct regarding the diagram although wrong about it acting as rwo separate amps.
a split power offtake perhaps but it's certainly not two independent amplifiers, that however is simply splitting hairs.
I agree. One stereo amp with two pairs of output sockets is still one amplifier!

Reactions: Gray and DougK1

TRENDING THREADS