stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Had my DAC a few days now, it sounds fantastic!

Using a chord crimson plus between DAC and amp would I gain anything by changing to chord chameleon plus?

Maybe I should just try it, if no improvement then I can always send it back

Thanks again for you all advising me not buy another CDP but a DAC instead!

Hi stevebrock

Fwiw, I use a basic interconnect between Rega's DAC and Rega's Brio-R amplifier.

Btw, I also use a basic interconnect when using Chord Electronics QBD76 DAC with Rega's Brio-R, Plinius Hiato, Densen's Audio Technologies B-175 Plus, etc.

All the bes

Rick @ Musicraft

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
A recommended cable of £180pm with an amp of this quality? Nothing wrong with the amp/DAC but is that not a huge budget for cable?

(Not wishing to start yet another 'cable' war)

Cheers

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
A recommended cable of £180pm with an amp of this quality? Nothing wrong with the amp/DAC but is that not a huge budget for cable?

Cheers

Too right.

David, last time we discussed this you personally bought expensive cables for peace of mind and the only improvements you'd noticed from a cable was more than a decade ago and you couldn't remember what it was. Have you been conducting some rigorous testing since then?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Think I will leave my cables be then!

Im enjoying my system & music at the minute with the recent addition of the Rega DAC so best not upset things

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:

Cheers

It's a decent amp and DAC. Does the cost of a cable warrant it's use with a certain system, or it's quality, and what it does for a system? :)

I'd like to add that the current Cadenzas can be picked up a little cheaper at the moment as Chord are revising the plugs.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
BenLaw said:
David, last time we discussed this you personally bought expensive cables for peace of mind and the only improvements you'd noticed from a cable was more than a decade ago and you couldn't remember what it was. Have you been conducting some rigorous testing since then?

If you'd like to double check those 'facts', I think you'll find we were talking about HDMI cables. Interconnects and speaker cables are entirely different, and I have and do hear differences with these cables.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
BenLaw said:

If you'd like to double check those 'facts', I think you'll find we were talking about HDMI cables. Interconnects and speaker cables are entirely different, and I have and do hear differences with these cables.

Well I go along with what Rob says. If you and your customers think this is a reasonable recommendation then good luck to you both. I would advise the OP to ignore what you have to say.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
In all these things, it doesn't matter what any of us think....let the OP's ears be the judge.

The advice on here wouldn't be balanced, if only one side ever got put forward.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
In all these things, it doesn't matter what any of us think....let the OP's ears be the judge.

The advice on here wouldn't be balanced, if only one side ever got put forward.

+1.

The OP should listen for himself... and he shouldn't be biased by others, pointing to the (lack of) difference a cable makes. Some critical reading on the subject can be found here: http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables/top-ten-signs-an-audio-cable-vendor-is-selling-you-snake-oil. Needless to say the author of the article is a non-believer (which is OK if you're aware of it).

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
I feel another cable debate just arrived. +1 for use your ears. My only point was ... Nah - let your ears do the testing and report back here to tell us your opinion.

Cheers

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Well I go along with what Rob says. If you and your customers think this is a reasonable recommendation then good luck to you both. I would advise the OP to ignore what you have to say.

Well Rob asked me if the budget for the cable was a little large, so I'm not sure what it is you're 'going along with'.

If the OP was starting from scratch with a system, I'd say start out with basic cables and spend the money on the hardware that matters and get the basics of the system right first. In this case, the OP has a very good, nicely balanced system, which I'm assuming he's not going to be changing. As the OP was looking at a (not unsubstantially priced) cable already, I'm just recommending him to try the rather excellent Cadenza seeing as it can be had cheaper than normal at the moment.

So yes, I feel that is a reasonable recommendation, and people are free to take my advice or leave it. So if the OP tries it out and doesn't like it, shoot me.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
BenLaw said:

Well Rob asked me if the budget for the cable was a little large, so I'm not sure what it is you're 'going along with'.

If you don't get that he was making a point with his question you're being pretty stupid, although if you tell me that's true I'd be prepared to accept it.

If the OP was starting from scratch with a system, I'd say start out with basic cables and spend the money on the hardware that matters and get the basics of the system right first. In this case, the OP has a very good, nicely balanced system, which I'm assuming he's not going to be changing. As the OP was looking at a (not unsubstantially priced) cable already, I'm just recommending him to try the rather excellent Cadenza seeing as it can be had cheaper than normal at the moment.

So yes, I feel that is a reasonable recommendation, and people are free to take my advice or leave it. So if the OP tries it out and doesn't like it, shoot me.

Thing is your post wasn't 'recommending him to try'. If you'd said that I wouldn't have replied. But your post had no qualifications, it didn't say you may find no difference or no worthwhile difference, it didn't say get a home audition, you said save up and get it. If it was as simple as that, please tell us what improvements the OP will find in his system? Except you won't because you've already backtracked from your OP.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
BenLaw said:
If you don't get that he was making a point with his question you're being pretty stupid, although if you tell me that's true I'd be prepared to accept it.

I bet you would. I'm sorry to disappoint.

Thing is your post wasn't 'recommending him to try'. If you'd said that I wouldn't have replied. But your post had no qualifications, it didn't say you may find no difference or no worthwhile difference, it didn't say get a home audition, you said save up and get it. If it was as simple as that, please tell us what improvements the OP will find in his system? Except you won't because you've already backtracked from your OP.

I'm sorry, I must remember to post every possible piece of information in every post in order to keep you happy. It won't happen again, sir. And you'd really must point out where I 'backtracked'.

I find the Cadenza a more exciting cable to listen to, which I feel would favour the Rega boxes. The Chameleon is a good cable, and was one of my favourite cables to use in demos, but then the Cadenza came out and changed that. If I didn't feel it was a worthwhile improvement over a Chameleon, I wouldn't recommend it. But I did, because I feel it is. And I'll mention again, that there are some prices floating around for the Cadenzas too as Chord are revising their plugs - this brings the cost of a Cadenza much closer to a Chameleon. For me, that's a better investment. And a longer term one too.

Although, I don't really have to justify myself to you, as you're not the one who is looking at cables - the OP is. If the OP thinks that the Cadenza is a little much for the system based on price, I'm sure he can pipe up and speak for himself. Or he can ignore my advice, as anyone has a right to do, it really makes no difference to me. When I give advice, I look at it from the point of view of the OP - I recommend what I would do if it were my system.

Oh, and I assume by your non reply to the earlier point I made - about the fact I was talking about HDMI cables, not hi-fi cables (remember? The first time you tried to show me up?) - means you were wrong?

Have you heard a Cadenza Ben?

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm up with my baby so can't answer all your points tonight, but I notice your website recommends the rega couple at 'only' half the price of the cadenza, any reason you disagree with that? Or is the cadenza the perfect cable that improves every system at all price points in all rooms?

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Forums are about expressing personal opinions, right?

At least David, being a dealer, must have heard the gear he posts about about and anyways, it's not in his interest to show himself up by giving out duff recommendations. Unlike the rest of us punters to whom it matters only from the point of view of our egos!

So FWIW, IME, YMMV, blah, blah...Oyaide (digital) and Siltech...rock! Once I heard these cables there was no going back :dance:

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
I find the Cadenza a more exciting cable to listen to,

quick hint.... try listening to music, not cables, it enhances ones listening experience ;)

I do listen to music cheeseboy, which is why I know how this cable outperforms the Chameleon. I rarely sit there listening to music really, but when you hear so many systems with varying cables, you tend to form opinions on their abilities.

And thank you paradiziac - you're right - anyone who replies here is expressing an opinion.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
cheeseboy said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
I find the Cadenza a more exciting cable to listen to,

quick hint.... try listening to music, not cables, it enhances ones listening experience ;)

I do listen to music cheeseboy, which is why I know how this cable outperforms the Chameleon. I rarely sit there listening to music really, but when you hear so many systems with varying cables, you tend to form opinions on their abilities.

And thank you paradiziac - you're right - anyone who replies here is expressing an opinion.

Give up David. The OP will make his decision based on his ears anyway. Don't get into another 'Cable Bunfight'. It ain't worth it. :rofl:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts