Cables

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
:) @cheeseboy

Richard Allen said:
Give up David. The OP will make his decision based on his ears anyway.

I'm not saying it's the case here as I'm talking generally, but how many people do actually base their decision on their own experience Richard? Many will ask the question on here in order to get some ideas, but how many will actually go out and do some physical research for themselves? If we take speakers (as you're in that business), some will narrow down the speaker they think they'll like from various recommendations, then try that option out. It might sound great to them (and it usually will as it'll be better than what they have, even if it isn't a great performer for the price), so they'll buy it, disregarding everything else out there and having no idea how their choice stacks up against anything else. It's just madness, which is why we try and offer the largest range we can.

And what is worse sometimes - going blindly with the option that someone has recommended, or not even trying the option at all?

It just irks me when someone says that someone else will hear no difference, either because they can't hear a difference, or they believe there to be no difference, for whatever reason.

Hey ho :)

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
:) @cheeseboy

Richard Allen said:
Give up David. The OP will make his decision based on his ears anyway.

I'm not saying it's the case here as I'm talking generally, but how many people do actually base their decision on their own experience Richard? Many will ask the question on here in order to get some ideas, but how many will actually go out and do some physical research for themselves? If we take speakers (as you're in that business), some will narrow down the speaker they think they'll like from various recommendations, then try that option out. It might sound great to them (and it usually will as it'll be better than what they have, even if it isn't a great performer for the price), so they'll buy it, disregarding everything else out there and having no idea how their choice stacks up against anything else. It's just madness, which is why we try and offer the largest range we can.

And what is worse sometimes - going blindly with the option that someone has recommended, or not even trying the option at all?

It just irks me when someone says that someone else will hear no difference, either because they can't hear a difference, or they believe there to be no difference, for whatever reason.

Hey ho :)

And there you have it. The only industry to my knowledge that is subjective to 1 person based on another persons opinions. Potty, but we elected to work in this business.

Hopefully, the OP in particular will take note of what we say based on our very extensive experience in this field. Like you say, Hey Ho!!

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
stevebrock said:
When I get said cable and have a listen I will report, in the meantime everyone reserve judgement!

Exactly my point and I wasn't judging Steve. When you get said cable YOU will have a listen. Not me, David or anyone else and that's exactly as it should be. I wish you success.

A

Anonymous

Facinating to see that this debate still rages on (I've not logged in for a while). I find the subject facinating, just wish I had the required golden ears to hear the differences. For me, sadly, interconnects are like fine wines, above a certain price point I can't tell any diffrence. :)

Still, I'll await the reports with interest.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Without wishing to stir things up (no really!) I wonder how many people who can hear differences with cables and/or other "tweaks" have actually tried it "blind", ie with things being switched without their knowledge and had their responses scored in a scientific way?

I think (or thought) I could hear a difference with interconnect cables so I spent some money there but that wasn't blind. I did blind test a mains conditioner and couldn't hear any difference at all. I am 100% convinced that my speakers sound much better on their spikes and spike shoes than without but again that wasn't blind and maybe I'm kidding myself.

I wonder if those who make big claims and who haven't subjected themselves to blind tests would be willing to do so?

Anyway I'd be really interested to hear about any independently verified blind tests (as I'm sure lots of people would be).

Chris

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
aldfort said:
For me, sadly, interconnects are like fine wines, above a certain price point I can't tell any diffrence. :)

Opposite for me, below a certain price point I can't tell any difference :?

At least you can buy more wine with the money you didn't spend on cables...a good bottle generally does wonders for the sound ;)

D

Deleted member 2457

RobinKidderminster said:
I am tired of all this whining about cables :)

I was quite enjoying it.
smiley-smile.gif

idc

aldfort said:
Facinating to see that this debate still rages on (I've not logged in for a while). I find the subject facinating, just wish I had the required golden ears to hear the differences. For me, sadly, interconnects are like fine wines, above a certain price point I can't tell any diffrence. :)

Still, I'll await the reports with interest.

Who is to say that the golden ears are the ones who hear a difference? I think the golden eared people are those who hear no difference, as their hearing is accurate to what cables really do to sound quality, which is nothing. :)

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
idc said:
Who is to say that the golden ears are the ones who hear a difference? I think the golden eared people are those who hear no difference, as their hearing is accurate to what cables really do to sound quality, which is nothing. :)

:wall:

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I have a sideway question: doen an analogue interconnect 'degrade' over time? I'm planning to buy a new DAC, amp and speakers, by next year somewhere. Could I keep using a 12-years old QED i/c (QNECT1, gold plated terminals; doesn't show its age at first sight)? Just wondering...

T

the record spot

Assuming it's not been damaged it'll be fine I'd think. I used Audioquest Turquoise for years (probably a good decade) and never had a hitch with it. Swapped it for some van den hul's and never noticed a difference.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Well well, cables again?..lol...

Important things b4 u will notice differences in cables.

1) Clean mains. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. Not on the cheap, proper mains conditioners. I use mains conditioners in my music recording studio. The difference is night & day.

2) your system is only only as strong as the weakest link. Any weak HIFi equipment, component or cable will stop you from hearing any change in sound.

3) Cheapo speakers will not tell you the changes happening in your music system.

4) CLEAN MAINS.. did I mention that before.. YES THATS HOW IMPORTANT IT IS>

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
DocG said:
I have a sideway question: doen an analogue interconnect 'degrade' over time?

As long as the plugs are still clean, it should be fine.

In theory an interconnect can degrade over time—you can get microscopic cracks in the crystalline structure, but let's face it, it's very unlikely to be audible.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Native_bon said:
Well well, cables again?..lol...

Important things b4 u will notice differences in cables.

1) Clean mains. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. Not on the cheap, proper mains conditioners. I use mains conditioners in my music recording studio. The difference is night & day.

2) your system is only only as strong as the weakest link. Any weak HIFi equipment, component or cable will stop you from hearing any change in sound.

3) Cheapo speakers will not tell you the changes happening in your music system.

4) CLEAN MAINS.. did I mention that before.. YES THATS HOW IMPORTANT IT IS>

Hi NB,

I heard you well, that clean mains make a difference? What's your opinion on balanced mains? Looks less expensive than a power plant (or AC-generator, mains regenerator or whatever you call it), and as far as I understand, it might have more effect than an expensive mains cable. But then again, my knowledge of electricity is rather poor (and that's an understatement :rofl:).

RobinKidderminster said:
Damned difficult to clean those 240v electrons tho. Oh how Ive tried. :)

Cheers

PS - Often recommended an occasional wipe/scrape of connectors?

Hi RobinKidderminster

If you can get to the speed of light then hopefully you should find the electrons easier to clean :grin:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
RobinKidderminster said:
Damned difficult to clean those 240v electrons tho. Oh how Ive tried. :)

Cheers

PS - Often recommended an occasional wipe/scrape of connectors?

Hi RobinKidderminster

If you can get to the speed of light then hopefully you should find the electrons easier to clean :grin:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Sorry to be dull, but electrons travel at about 1/4 mm per second through power cables. :p

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts