Bristol.....

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Did anyone visit the Leema room? They had their tiny speakers (Xero?) on demo hooked up to some of their high end gear (I think it was the Hydra, Quasar and Libra). For their size, the speakers did very well - not for me though as I have the space for something bigger.

It did seem a little pointless to me to demo the high end amps and cd players on the end of such small speakers as I wouldn't have thought it showed off the Hydra/Libra/Quasar to their full potential.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
wilro15 said:
Did anyone visit the Leema room? They had their tiny speakers (Xero?) on demo hooked up to some of their high end gear (I think it was the Hydra, Quasar and Libra). For their size, the speakers did very well - not for me though as I have the space for something bigger.

It did seem a little pointless to me to demo the high end amps and cd players on the end of such small speakers as I wouldn't have thought it showed off the Hydra/Libra/Quasar to their full potential.

Quite clever though as they probably sell many more cheaper speakers than high end electronics. This way they're (speakers) are shown at their very best.

Probably an approach adopted by many. Didn't QAcoustic demonstrate their 3020 with an A49 last year?

Only problem being that folks then wonder why their £200 standmount doesn't quite sound as good in their semi ... .

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Another highlight was some Totem standmounters (worth around £3000) connected to a Moon Ace. They played Kraftwerk's Autobahn and the sound was very impressive for standmounters - it had me wondering why I always stick with floorstanders.

drummerman said:
Did Naim demonstrate the Muso QB?
I saw them on open display, and they had muso in a small square room - which sounded awful, frankly. It was music I wouldn't choose, far too loud, so impossible to say. Must confess I can't recall if this was the qb or the original. I didn't stick around!

I did play with the big volume control, very smooth, and the track selector - nicely made. My gut feeling is that the qb may be more compatible with the majority of domestic arrangements, as the origibal needs quite a large space.

Tthey had proper timed demos elsewhere, but I think that was for big systems.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
HDNumpty said:
Just spent ages doing a review of the show only to find the site had a 'fault' and I couldn't post. All good anyway.

Oh Vlad, please die. Soon. There really is nothing worse than a cowardly keyboard warrior.

Is that not what you also have just done?

This site is going too far down the 'light touch' route in moderation.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
nopiano said:
drummerman said:
Did Naim demonstrate the Muso QB?
I saw them on open display, and they had muso in a small square room - which sounded awful, frankly. It was music I wouldn't choose, far too loud, so impossible to say. Must confess I can't recall if this was the qb or the original. I didn't stick around!

I did play with the big volume control, very smooth, and the track selector - nicely made. My gut feeling is that the qb may be more compatible with the majority of domestic arrangements, as the origibal needs quite a large space.

Tthey had proper timed demos elsewhere, but I think that was for big systems.

cheers

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
Andrewjvt said:
HDNumpty said:
Just spent ages doing a review of the show only to find the site had a 'fault' and I couldn't post. All good anyway.

Oh Vlad, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. There really is nothing worse than a cowardly keyboard warrior.

Is that not what you also have just done?

This site is going too far down the 'light touch' route in moderation.
To be fair to the mods they did clamp down on the original post but they failed to spot that someone had quoted it.

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
wilro15 said:
Another highlight was some Totem standmounters (worth around £3000) connected to a Moon Ace. They played Kraftwerk's Autobahn and the sound was very impressive for standmounters - it had me wondering why I always stick with floorstanders.
I don't suppose you noticed how much the Moon Ace was by any chance? I like the look of that.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Diamond Joe said:
To be fair to the mods they did clamp down on the original post but they failed to spot that someone had quoted it.

To be fair, it's not really clamping down if you leave the quoted versions of the offensive remark in plain sight for everyone to see.

CarlDW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Was there any Pioneer at the show?

I keep hoping Pioneer will bring the A-400 back. If they ever do, I'd be straight on it and (as long as I had the funds available) I'd happily pay £500-£600 for it. I'd still think it a bargain, and I doubt I'm the only one. I think a new A-400 would sell in very big numbers.

Pioneer had the A70DA and the N70A on show, using KEF R500's (I think). It sounded ok, but the style of music wasn't to my taste. It didn't strike me as being anything special, unfortunately, which is a shame as Pionner used to put out some pretty decent kit.

Andrewjvt said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Andrewjvt said:
the jl sub room was strange also but i was not there to judge for myself

Hi Andrew

Never mind Coventry appreciates JL Audio sub woofers as confirmed today 2 x E-112's, a Fathom f110 v2 and a Arcam AVR850 on the way

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

As i cant wait to get my hands on one also (or 2)

Hi Andrew

Two JL Audio subs are incredible and soon we'll have the ability to integrate the subs to main speakers almost seamlessly with the help of their new CR-1 Active Sub Crossover
shades_smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Andrewjvt said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Andrewjvt said:

Hi Andrew

Never mind Coventry appreciates JL Audio sub woofers as confirmed today 2 x E-112's, a Fathom f110 v2 and a Arcam AVR850 on the way

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Andrew

Two JL Audio subs are incredible and soon we'll have the ability to integrate the subs to main speakers almost seamlessly with the help of their new CR-1 Active Sub Crossover?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

More toys for us to test cool

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
drummerman said:
Quite clever though as they probably sell many more cheaper speakers than high end electronics. This way they're (speakers) are shown at their very best.

Probably an approach adopted by many. Didn't QAcoustic demonstrate their 3020 with an A49 last year?

Only problem being that folks then wonder why their £200 standmount doesn't quite sound as good in their semi ... .
Manufacturers are already at a disadvantage before they start, as the rooms aren't great, although you could argue that a room is a room - they all have issues, and like us music lovers, we all have to make the msot out of our system in the room we have. Nice to see more manufacturers treating the rooms though.

I think the quality of the rooms has been helped by better quality sources - a speaker is only as capable as the system it is attached to (within its limitations). If people are wondering why their £500 speakers aren't sounding as good at home, that should be a pointer to the fact that something, somewhere in the system, can be improved. The problem is, the usual belief that the speaker makes the biggest difference leads most to changing their speakers...which solves nothing.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
drummerman said:

Manufacturers are already at a disadvantage before they start, as the rooms aren't great, although you could argue that a room is a room - they all have issues, and like us music lovers, we all have to make the msot out of our system in the room we have. Nice to see more manufacturers treating the rooms though.

I think the quality of the rooms has been helped by better quality sources - a speaker is only as capable as the system it is attached to (within its limitations). If people are wondering why their £500 speakers aren't sounding as good at home, that should be a pointer to the fact that something, somewhere in the system, can be improved. The problem is, the usual belief that the speaker makes the biggest difference leads most to changing their speakers...which solves nothing.

Couldn't agree more - I've listened to more than one type of speaker in my home system - the so called house sound of my cd player and amp (whichever one i might use) is clear to the ear. Differences in the speaker's sound - in the same price range was not so marked.

inmho of course - tonky

Andrewjvt said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Andrewjvt said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Andrewjvt said:

Hi Andrew

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Andrew

Two JL Audio subs are incredible and soon we'll have the ability to integrate the subs to main speakers almost seamlessly with the help of their new CR-1 Active Sub Crossover

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

More toys for us to test cool

Hi Andrew

+1. CR-1 is superb and was used to great effect at last years Bristol show with 2 x Dominion d110's and this year with a Fathom f113 v2
shades_smile.gif

Btw, i forgot to add (and in case you are not aware) that Coventry is also the UK base of JL Audio domestic products
regular_smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:

Did anyone visit Origin Live? I hear they had the confidence to demonstrate their most expensive TT (£12K) through some modestly priced Q Acoustic speakers.

ifor said:
Did anyone visit Origin Live? I hear they had the confidence to demonstrate their most expensive TT (£12K) through some modestly priced Q Acoustic speakers.
Yes, and it was very good indeed. They had a little poster on the door saying something like "How good can vinyl be though £169 speakers?". The sound was excellent, clean yet rich and lively, and not at all 'processed' sounding. I'm not intimate with the QAs but I think they might even have been the 2000i series, not the latest 3000.

As mentioned above, the smaller, lower bandwidth speakers often seem to come off better in hotel bedrooms, or at least can perform to their optimum, unlike big full-range floor-standers that can easily sound overblown.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
nopiano said:
As mentioned above, the smaller, lower bandwidth speakers often seem to come off better in hotel bedrooms, or at least can perform to their optimum, unlike big full-range floor-standers that can easily sound overblown.

Depends on the floorstanders.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
As I said earlier most of the demos were 'forced'.

PMC being a case in point. They had the same room as last year and it's just too big for their speakers.

But rather than turn it down they turned it up - like last year.

The Mission demo on th other hand was good though. On the end of an Audiolab 8300a played well within its ability it sounded really nice £400 speakers to boot - but it may have been the standmounts with the matching sub playing. I entered the room mid demo.

The integration was seamless though - the fella doing the demo New what he was doing.

Oh he used a beatup pc for the source.

TRENDING THREADS