Bristol.....

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
nopiano said:
ifor said:
Did anyone visit Origin Live? I hear they had the confidence to demonstrate their most expensive TT (£12K) through some modestly priced Q Acoustic speakers.
Yes, and it was very good indeed. They had a little poster on the door saying something like "How good can vinyl be though £169 speakers?". The sound was excellent, clean yet rich and lively, and not at all 'processed' sounding. I'm not intimate with the QAs but I think they might even have been the 2000i series, not the latest 3000.

As mentioned above, the smaller, lower bandwidth speakers often seem to come off better in hotel bedrooms, or at least can perform to their optimum, unlike big full-range floor-standers that can easily sound overblown.

They were using the new Graham Slee Accession phonostage with new patent pending technology.

Vladimir said:
nopiano said:
As mentioned above, the smaller, lower bandwidth speakers often seem to come off better in hotel bedrooms, or at least can perform to their optimum, unlike big full-range floor-standers that can easily sound overblown.

Depends on the floorstanders.
I'd certainly like the electronics on show there, Vlad, which look like Mark Levinson, and I can't imagine those JBLs would be other than taut!

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
An active setup too. 

Enterainment area with pool table, bar etc large space id def go for large speakers like that. I used to rent out mybold pro gear to small clubs in port elizabeth and a few of my own gigs in 5he area. We used to get complaints from farms far away. Btw those speakers look like beasts also.

greycounciller

May 5, 2011
Visit site
For me, the underrated star of the show was the Canton system. Though expensive, I thought the sound was clean, effortless with very good clarity and weight and depth. It was well demonstrated by the German representative. Only the KEF setup was striking and of course the Arcam/KEF setup. For the money, I'd have the Canton Reference 5K/ KEF R700 partnered with the Moon ACE and as yet undecided CD player.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
An active setup too.

Enterainment area with pool table, bar etc large space id def go for large speakers like that. I used to rent out mybold pro gear to small clubs in port elizabeth and a few of my own gigs in 5he area. We used to get complaints from farms far away. Btw those speakers look like beasts also.

Definitely not livingroom worthy looks. Pricey though. They are marketed as main studio monitors and sold with I-Tech 4x3500HD amps because they have DSP and the speakers don't have crossovers. A single plastic horn costs $350 (just the horn, no compression driver).

wilro15 said:
The ATCs in the Technics room did sound great. I guess I am put off ATCs by what people say about how revelaing they are. A lot of my music isn't of great quality so I don't want to be in a situation where my hifi makes half of my music collection sound bad.

Still, they could be worth investigating when I have raised enough funds....

Hi wilro15

I don't recall hearing a music or movie that isn't of great quality sound bad through an ATC monitor.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Thats what I mean. If I play some of my dodgy MP3s (or worse still cassettes!) then ATCs would make them sound worse, right? In some cases too much accuracy can be bad.

Hugh56

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
No Adele or Phil Collins played. No men in black tapping their feet. One air guitar player, however I let him off as he was a brave man to play Bruce Springsteen.

Arcam demo I believed was best of show. Best selection of music played was Canton. Some conflicts from the Chord Electronics stands on wherever the Mojo is suitable to connect to an Amplifier. What HiFi technical support I have to say was excellant.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Hugh56 said:
No Adele or Phil Collins played. No men in black tapping their feet. One air guitar player, however I let him off as he was a brave man to play Bruce Springsteen.
PMC played In The Air Tonight. Air Drums were encouraged. They also played a 45rpm version of Bohemian Rhapsody. Head banging Wayne's World style was encouraged.

:)

Arcam demo I believed was best of show. Best selection of music played was Canton.
I'd have to have a think about he best selection, but Chris from Sound Fowndations was thoroughly enjoying himself in his room (the one with the laser cartridge, Clearaudio/Gamut). I'm guessing he has the most original selection I've heard at a hi-fi show. I haven't been able to get that Todd Terje track out of my head! Going to have to buy it now...

Hugh56

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
David,

"In the Air Tonight" is acceptable and I believed his best work was with Brand X. I can understand the air drums. Still not the greatest fan of Phil Collins. For Music and HiFi, I think Canton should be considered one of the best in the show.

What is your views on the Mojo DAC, they sound out of this world with headphones but I am concern on connecting it to an amplifier with its 3v output.

Regards

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Hugh56 said:
David,

"In the Air Tonight" is acceptable and I believed his best work was with Brand X. I can understand the air drums. Still not the greatest fan of Phil Collins. For Music and HiFi, I think Canton should be considered one of the best in the show.

What is your views on the Mojo DAC, they sound out of this world with headphones but I am concern on connecting it to an amplifier with its 3v output.

Regards
I'm not much of a Phil Collins fan, far from it, but I can listen to his stuff with Genesis like And Then There Were Three. But that's back when he sounded a little like Peter Gabriel (presumably why he was chosen?). Having said that, I can't say I've heard much Genesis stuff overall.

Hugh56

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
I was in my teens in the early seventies, I lost interest in Genesis since Peter Gabriel and Steve Hacket left. It was the start of the death of the album. With the re-introduction of Vinyl, hopefully the musicians can start producing better recordings and selections of songs that can be listened to from start to finish.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Hugh56 said:
I was in my teens in the early seventies, I lost interest in Genesis since Peter Gabriel and Steve Hacket left. It was the start of the death of the album. With the re-introduction of Vinyl, hopefully the musicians can start producing better recordings and selections of songs that can be listened to from start to finish.

I now prefer the Steve Hackett interpretations on his albums Genesis Revisited and Genesis Revisited II.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hugh56 said:
I was in my teens in the early seventies, I lost interest in Genesis since Peter Gabriel and Steve Hacket left.  It was the start of the death of the album.  With the re-introduction of Vinyl, hopefully the musicians can start producing better recordings and selections of songs that can be listened to from start to finish. 
I could have written that...Selling England, Trick of the tail, Lamb lies down, Seconds out...all much superior to all later stuff.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts