Bristol.....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
wilro15 said:
Were they really? They were very impressive.

Would they go well with a Roksan Caspian do you think?

Hi wilro15

Yes, they really were curved SCM11 monitors and yes curved SCM11's and out of interest also curved SCM19's go well with a Caspian amp (both ATC models are being used by some of clients with the Roksan amp).

curved SCM11's are indeed very impressive. This is also the reason why the engineers at AV Tech Solutions have chosen to use ATC monitors (curved SCM11, curved SCM19, C3CA active centre and C3C MK2 passive centre) with JL Audio sub woofers for the last three Bristol shows.

I've said it before - ATC Transducer. The sound of accuracy. Naturally.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Even though this is the third year I have attended all three days, I still didn't get round the whole show. These are my personal thoughts on the show, although to give any meaningful appraisal of any one piece of equipment, I'd need to hear it in a familiar system (and room) with music of my own choice.

First up was Innuos. I've been using an Innuos Zen Mini for a good 6-7 months now, and it's been a great bit of kit - and it's about to get better! The looks of the current stuff was fine, but the new "chiselled" look moves away from the curved cornered Apple look. And it looks much better in the flesh, as it's not as angled as photos would suggest. Also gone is the very PC looking rear panel, now looking more like a piece of hi-fi equipment. The biggest change though is the user interface, which looks great and also allows editing before or after ripping via a phone or tablet - so now you don't need a PC at all! Good times.

The KEF room usually sounds good, and this year was no exception. Plus it was a little refreshing to be looking at three hi-fi systems with no AV system in sight. The Jean Michell Jarre track filled the room from the little LS50s, which was being run from a Rega Apollo-R and Brio-R. The R700s sounded fantastic on the end of the one box Moon Ace system. The Reference 3s on the end of the crazy price Moon system fed with a VPI turntable sounded fabulous, but I think the R700s stole it for me from a value perspective.

The PMC room sounded great. I didn't really get to hear much of the Twenty.22s in there, but I mainly went to hear the BB5SE monsters - and monsters they were too! I was very impressed by the Kraftwerk track through them, which really gave the huge bass drivers a good work out! Some nice info from Tom Barron too, regarding the mastering of various albums.

Spendor's rooms sounded good last year, so I popped in this year to see if they were as good - they were. I didn't clock the system they were playing from, but I believe it was a Cyrus system.?

Neat's "floorstanders" were interesting. They certainly do stand on the floor, but they don't really stand particularly tall! I only got to hear a couple of tracks on them, and to me they sounded slightly thin, but I think that may have been down to the music that was playing (which I wasn't familiar with), and to be fair, they were a good few feet from the wall. Closer to a wall (and on a suspended floor) would probably give them a little more bottom end. We need more of this thinking from speaker manufacturers - I don't get why we are still seeing large, rear ported loudspeakers hitting the market - I'd expect speakers to be be getting smaller, or at least utilising a sealed cabinet seeing as many people don't want large hi-fi encroaching on their personal living space.

I popped into the Devialet room to see what was going on, and the Phantoms were playing. Whilst I appreciate their capabilities for such small cabinets, they were just way too bassy.?

Audioquest won a Clarity award for the best looking room, and deservedly so. Top marks to Nick and the boys! It was explained to me what was plugged into what, but I forget now after the Friday night binge...

I briefly listened to the ProAc DB1s, but I'd already heard them in store, and really like them. I think I'd take them over D18s myself, as they just seemed to get out of the way and let the music flow. Both drivers sounded like they were perfectly integrated, making them sound more 'together' and accomplished.

Rega's new Planar 3 really looks the part. The RP3 was a great turntable (still is), but now you can have something that sounds even better and looks more in line with an RP6! I'll say more on this when we get on in store over the next week or so.?

Tannoy were using an RP6 as a source to show off their new £300 floorstanders, which actually sounded really good! The first track I heard on them sounded a tad boxy, but the track played after (Gary Moore's Parisienne Walkways) that quickly removed that issue - silly value for money.?

Michell were using their new 'own brand' cartridge, which has been a long time coming! I'll say more on this when I hear it in store.

Sound Fowndations had three rooms. One had bits and bobs in which didn't involve music, but one had an interesting new cartridge that uses light to create a signal rather than magnets, despite still tracking the groove with a conventional stylus. I'm awaiting the technical data to find out more about this. Also in this room was seemingly the happiest rep at the whole show - the flamboyant Chris - who seems to rather like his "It's Album Time With Todd Terje" LP.  He was having a good time even if no one else was! The Led Zep sessions LP played through this system sounded amazing - I want a copy!?

The Kudos room were showing off their Titan loudspeakers again this year - unfortunately I think I preferred how they sounded last year.?

The system in NuNu Distribution's TAD room was reassuringly expensive, reassuringly well built, and reassuringly fantastic sounding. I popped in as I had never heard any of the TAD speakers before, and was greeted with a completely holographic image in front of me. No overhang, no smearing, nothing. Beautiful looking CD player too, a little stealthy looking. This was the last room I visited, and wish I'd have gone in their previously, as the chap in there was fascinating to talk to, and said what he meant!?

I did pop in to the Hegel room, but I liked the sound they were producing last year - not so much this year.?

The Technics rooms were interesting. It seems they've listened to feedback and decided not to use their speakers in one of their rooms this year! The room with the SCM11s were in sounded great, but the one with their speakers in was probably the worst of the show for me, which I don't quite understand, as those speakers sounded pretty good last year.?

Air Audio had an interesting multi-room alternative to the usual - let's hope they get the product out their into good quality dealers who can do the product justice. Promising...

I'll probably get flamed for this, but I'm still yet to be impressed by a JL demo. Using SCM19s, the huge sub was switched in and out to show the difference it made - to me it just added more rumble than real punch. When the sub was switched off, the SCM19s didn't seem to sound as good as the SCM11s in the Technics room. The AV demo was just excessively bassy, but it seemed to be impressing those in the room. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable demonstrating a system like this.

Canton's floorstanders looked rather nice - beautifully finished and sounded good too, certainly worthy of their price. Their bass presence was impressive, but not overdone, but they were using some electronics I'd not heard of before, and I don't know to what extent they were having a say in what was coming from the speakers.

Ophidian's room was interesting. Tiny speakers with tiny drive units. Not cheap, but seemed to produce a good enough sound given that the laws of physics were stacked against them! Like the Neat room (and seemingly most other rooms), these were pulled out a good metre into the room, which I understand from the point of view of trying to get an even response in as large a slace as possible, but just not feasible in the average living room. It'd be interesting to hear these in familiar surroundings.

The MBL speakers were interesting too. I heard these once before at a high end show in London and thought they sounded amazing (I think they were higher in the range). These didn't sound quite as good, but the room (rainforest?) was much smaller. Nice open sound from unconventional drive units...

Musical Fidelity's Encore system was sounding pretty amazing - the speakers used escape me at the moment (B&W 805 D3 I think?) but it looks to be a genuine high end solution for those that want some storage space but don't want to involve a PC or external NAS drive.

Henley Designs' Roksan room was sounding rather good with their new turntable and using their own speakers. There were also some new Roksan models with some reassuringly large displays that you will be able to read from the deepest depths of your garden - roll on summer!

Last year I visited the Entotem room to see what "Plato" was all about. I did so this year too, only to find the product has been overhauled and vastly improved! For those that can't remember, this is a one box, do-it-all solution, which will also store music and video on its internal HDD space (SSD option coming). Whether the source is CD, vinyl or tape, it will rip to its internal memory for you to call on at will, and will also add metadata to all of the above too! This year sees a number of improvements, the biggest being the user interface, which looks far more slick and stylish. There's more colour options now, and it will also be available as a "source only" product with the amplification removed to use with your own choice of amplification.?

I'd already heard Monitor Audio's PL500 loudspeakers at the dealer launch a month or so ago. That was a pretty large room though, so this was a chance to hear them in a more conventional sized room. They sounded much better this time round. There were a few tracks used that were very impressive, but I don't know what they are, so can't tell you! But the Red Hot Chili Pepper's track used from Stadium Arcadium came across exactly how I expect their stuff to come across. Powerful, punchy, and not scared to reproduce anything thrown at them. Dave Brubeck's Take 5 really should have had more volume... :)

I've saved the best till last. Arcam's rather extravagant Atmos system! Wow. Admittedly, this was a fairly large room, but the system had no problems producing really scary volume levels when called upon to do so. To me - and I mean this in a positive way - it sounded much more like a real cinema than a home theatre system. That's rare. I'm aware most cinemas are a bit naff, but you can't generally compare cinemas against home theatre systems as the acoustic space they're in are world's apart, and the electronics and speakers used for each equally so. But this system is exactly what real cinemas should sound like! The choral demo was impressive, making it sound like they were in the room with you. Crazy dynamics and effortless power just helped make the plane that Tom Cruise was holding onto at the beginning of Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation sound like you were taking off with him! The impressive opening scene to Spectre was equally dynamic, making you feel you were right in there with DC. And as for the opening scene of Mad Max...interesting comment about the guy who mixed Mad Max hearing this system and commenting that he could hear things that he didn't even realise we're there!

Massive credit their to the Arcam boys for setting that up, and you could tell Andy Moore was suitably proud of the system he was demonstrating. 

Cheers David, kinda makes me wish I'd made notes.

But I had my son with me - such levels of nerdiness can only be indulged in when alone....

Oh.....Andrew, see, Spendor were driven with Cyrus (maybe) - I still don't think the Hegels live up to their claims.......

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Even though this is the third year I have attended all three days, I still didn't get round the whole show. These are my personal thoughts on the show, although to give any meaningful appraisal of any one piece of equipment, I'd need to hear it in a familiar system (and room) with music of my own choice.

First up was Innuos. I've been using an Innuos Zen Mini for a good 6-7 months now, and it's been a great bit of kit - and it's about to get better! The looks of the current stuff was fine, but the new "chiseled" look moves away from the curved cornered Apple look. And it looks much better in the flesh, as it's not as angled as photos would suggest. Also gone is the very PC looking rear panel, now looking more like a piece of hi-fi equipment. The biggest change though is the user interface, which looks great and also allows editing before or after ripping via a phone or tablet - so now you don't need a PC at all! Good times.

The KEF room usually sounds good, and this year was no exception. Plus it was a little refreshing to be looking at three hi-fi systems with no AV system in sight. The Jean Michell Jarre track filled the room from the little LS50s, which was being run from a Rega Apollo-R and Brio-R. The R700s sounded fantastic on the end of the one box Moon Ace system. The Reference 3s on the end of the crazy price Moon system fed with a VPI turntable sounded fabulous, but I think the R700s stole it for me from a value perspective.

The PMC room sounded great. I didn't really get to hear much of the Twenty.22s in there, but I mainly went to hear the BB5SE monsters - and monsters they were too! I was very impressed by the Kraftwerk track through them, which really gave the huge bass drivers a good work out! Some nice info from Tom Barron too, regarding the mastering of various albums.

Spendor's rooms sounded good last year, so I popped in this year to see if they were as good - they were. I didn't clock the system they were playing from, but I believe it was a Cyrus system.

Neat's "floorstanders" were interesting. They certainly do stand on the floor, but they don't really stand particularly tall! I only got to hear a couple of tracks on them, and to me they sounded slightly thin, but I think that may have been down to the music that was playing (which I wasn't familiar with), and to be fair, they were a good few feet from the wall. Closer to a wall (and on a suspended floor) would probably give them a little more bottom end. We need more of this thinking from speaker manufacturers - I don't get why we are still seeing large, rear ported loudspeakers hitting the market - I'd expect speakers to be be getting smaller, or at least utilising a sealed cabinet seeing as many people don't want large hi-fi encroaching on their personal living space.

I popped into the Devialet room to see what was going on, and the Phantoms were playing. Whilst I appreciate their capabilities for such small cabinets, they were just way too bassy.

Audioquest won a Clarity award for the best looking room, and deservedly so. Top marks to Nick and the boys! It was explained to me what was plugged into what, but I forget now after the Friday night binge...

I briefly listened to the ProAc DB1s, but I'd already heard them in store, and really like them. I think I'd take them over D18s myself, as they just seemed to get out of the way and let the music flow. Both drivers sounded like they were perfectly integrated, making them sound more 'together' and accomplished.

Rega's new Planar 3 really looks the part. The RP3 was a great turntable (still is), but now you can have something that sounds even better and looks more in line with an RP6! I'll say more on this when we get on in store over the next week or so.

Tannoy were using an RP6 as a source to show off their new £300 floorstanders, which actually sounded really good! The first track I heard on them sounded a tad boxy, but the track played after (Gary Moore's Parisienne Walkways) that quickly removed that issue - silly value for money.

Michell were using their new 'own brand' cartridge, which has been a long time coming! I'll say more on this when I hear it in store.

Sound Fowndations had three rooms. One had bits and bobs in which didn't involve music, but one had an interesting new cartridge that uses light to create a signal rather than magnets, despite still tracking the groove with a conventional stylus. I'm awaiting the technical data to find out more about this. Also in this room was seemingly the happiest rep at the whole show - the flamboyant Chris - who seems to rather like his "It's Album Time With Todd Terje" LP. He was having a good time even if no one else was! The Led Zep sessions LP played through this system sounded amazing - I want a copy!

The Kudos room were showing off their Titan loudspeakers again this year - unfortunately I think I preferred how they sounded last year.

The system in NuNu Distribution's TAD room was reassuringly expensive, reassuringly well built, and reassuringly fantastic sounding. I popped in as I had never heard any of the TAD speakers before, and was greeted with a completely holographic image in front of me. No overhang, no smearing, nothing. Beautiful looking CD player too, a little stealthy looking. This was the last room I visited, and wish I'd have gone in their previously, as the chap in there was fascinating to talk to, and said what he meant!

I did pop in to the Hegel room, but I liked the sound they were producing last year - not so much this year.

The Technics rooms were interesting. It seems they've listened to feedback and decided not to use their speakers in one of their rooms this year! The room with the SCM11s were in sounded great, but the one with their speakers in was probably the worst of the show for me, which I don't quite understand, as those speakers sounded pretty good last year.

Air Audio had an interesting multi-room alternative to the usual - let's hope they get the product out their into good quality dealers who can do the product justice. Promising...

I'll probably get flamed for this, but I'm still yet to be impressed by a JL demo. Using SCM19s, the huge sub was switched in and out to show the difference it made - to me it just added more rumble than real punch. When the sub was switched off, the SCM19s didn't seem to sound as good as the SCM11s in the Technics room. The AV demo was just excessively bassy, but it seemed to be impressing those in the room. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable demonstrating a system like this.

Canton's floorstanders looked rather nice - beautifully finished and sounded good too, certainly worthy of their price. Their bass presence was impressive, but not overdone, but they were using some electronics I'd not heard of before, and I don't know to what extent they were having a say in what was coming from the speakers.

Ophidian's room was interesting. Tiny speakers with tiny drive units. Not cheap, but seemed to produce a good enough sound given that the laws of physics were stacked against them! Like the Neat room (and seemingly most other rooms), these were pulled out a good metre into the room, which I understand from the point of view of trying to get an even response in as large a space as possible, but just not feasible in the average living room. It'd be interesting to hear these in familiar surroundings.

The MBL speakers were interesting too. I heard these once before at a high end show in London and thought they sounded amazing (I think they were higher in the range). These didn't sound quite as good, but the room (rainforest?) was much smaller. Nice open sound from unconventional drive units...

Musical Fidelity's Encore system was sounding pretty amazing - the speakers used escape me at the moment (B&W 805 D3 I think?) but it looks to be a genuine high end solution for those that want some storage space but don't want to involve a PC or external NAS drive.

Henley Designs' Roksan room was sounding rather good with their new turntable and using their own speakers. There were also some new Roksan models with some reassuringly large displays that you will be able to read from the deepest depths of your garden - roll on summer!

Last year I visited the Entotem room to see what "Plato" was all about. I did so this year too, only to find the product has been overhauled and vastly improved! For those that can't remember, this is a one box, do-it-all solution, which will also store music and video on its internal HDD space (SSD option coming). Whether the source is CD, vinyl or tape, it will rip to its internal memory for you to call on at will, and will also add metadata to all of the above too! This year sees a number of improvements, the biggest being the user interface, which looks far more slick and stylish. There's more colour options now, and it will also be available as a "source only" product with the amplification removed to use with your own choice of amplification.

I'd already heard Monitor Audio's PL500 loudspeakers at the dealer launch a month or so ago. That was a pretty large room though, so this was a chance to hear them in a more conventional sized room. They sounded much better this time round. There were a few tracks used that were very impressive, but I don't know what they are, so can't tell you! But the Red Hot Chili Pepper's track used from Stadium Arcadium came across exactly how I expect their stuff to come across. Powerful, punchy, and not scared to reproduce anything thrown at them. Dave Brubeck's Take 5 really should have had more volume... :)

I've saved the best till last. Arcam's rather extravagant Atmos system! Wow. Admittedly, this was a fairly large room, but the system had no problems producing really scary volume levels when called upon to do so. To me - and I mean this in a positive way - it sounded much more like a real cinema than a home theatre system. That's rare. I'm aware most cinemas are a bit naff, but you can't generally compare cinemas against home theatre systems as the acoustic space they're in are world's apart, and the electronics and speakers used for each equally so. But this system is exactly what real cinemas should sound like! The choral demo was impressive, making it sound like they were in the room with you. Crazy dynamics and effortless power just helped make the plane that Tom Cruise was holding onto at the beginning of Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation sound like you were taking off with him! The impressive opening scene to Spectre was equally dynamic, making you feel you were right in there with DC. And as for the opening scene of Mad Max...interesting comment about the guy who mixed Mad Max hearing this system and commenting that he could hear things that he didn't even realise we're there!

Massive credit there to the Arcam boys for setting that up, and you could tell Andy Moore was suitably proud of the system he was demonstrating.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
wilro15 said:
Were they really? They were very impressive.
To be fair, anything would've sounded impressive after visiting their other room. Odd really, as the Technics speakers sounded ok last year.

True! Their own speakers were crap. I walked in, looked confused and walked straight out again. Felt sorry for the Technics guys, that system is obviously very poor.

ultrarunner

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I found that a lot of the systems, in a lot of the rooms, seemed more about listening to the equipment, than listening to the music. There was a lot of "edges", a lot of harshness, and a lot of music being played slightly too loudly - sounding all the worse for it.

Most people seemed to have done the same thing - set up firing towards the door, set chairs up right to the entrance, so once the chairs were occupied you had a huddle of people in the doorway unable to listen or see properly. At least 50% of those rooms I visited consisted of music being played by a person sat over in a corner, usually playing on their mobile, making no attempt to engage with (potential) customers.

Having said that, there were some definite stand-outs...

Tannoy room - cheap speakers, cheap (ish) electronics - set up across the room rather than along. Sounded fantastic. My fiancee said that even from outside it sounded like someone was in there singing. We went in twice it sounded that "right"...on the downside, despite having been in twice the member of staff still just stood in the far corner playing music...

Malvern Audio room - way higher budget, but they were playing music I know extremely well (Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing) and my word did it sound good...and I saw him play it live a couple of weeks ago. On top of that, there was friendly connection and advice, leaflets given out etc.

Icon Audio - sounded good too, apparently I like valves?!

Audioquest - friendly greeting, loads of "no pressure" advice

Cyrus - didn't hear the demo, but got lots of helpful advice about my old CD7Q, buying a PSX-R2 etc

Spendor - sounded lovely, but then, I am biased lol

As someone else posted - I came away from the show feeling very pleased with how my system sounds currently... although I did take advantage of the rather good show offer to get 20% off a PSX-R2 :) oh, and a subscription to a certain mag that gave me a Fiio X1 as a gift...

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
The ATCs in the Technics room did sound great. I guess I am put off ATCs by what people say about how revelaing they are. A lot of my music isn't of great quality so I don't want to be in a situation where my hifi makes half of my music collection sound bad.

Still, they could be worth investigating when I have raised enough funds....

Blacksabbath25 said:
nopiano said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
what about dali speakers were dali there ?
They were, but the room was very busy so I didn't hear them.
they make some very good speakers i would like to know if they have anything new coming out this year but i think they would be showing off the opticon range as this range has not been out long
I've checked the show catalogue and it says the Opticon range takes centre-stage this year, as replacement for the much loved Icon range. Models 2 and 6 were said to be on demonstration, with the others on display.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
nopiano said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
nopiano said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
what about dali speakers were dali there ?
They were, but the room was very busy so I didn't hear them.
they make some very good speakers i would like to know if they have anything new coming out this year but i think they would be showing off the opticon range as this range has not been out long
I've checked the show catalogue and it says the Opticon range takes centre-stage this year, as replacement for the much loved Icon range. Models 2 and 6 were said to be on demonstration, with the others on display.
yes i thought they would be showing them off i got some opticon 6s myself they are good

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
David@FrankHarvey said:

First up was Innuos. I've been using an Innuos Zen Mini for a good 6-7 months now, and it's been a great bit of kit - and it's about to get better! The looks of the current stuff was fine, but the new "chiselled" look moves away from the curved cornered Apple look. And it looks much better in the flesh, as it's not as angled as photos would suggest. Also gone is the very PC looking rear panel, now looking more like a piece of hi-fi equipment. The biggest change though is the user interface, which looks great and also allows editing before or after ripping via a phone or tablet - so now you don't need a PC at all! Good times.

Spendor's rooms sounded good last year, so I popped in this year to see if they were as good - they were. I didn't clock the system they were playing from, but I believe it was a Cyrus system.?

I popped into the Devialet room to see what was going on, and the Phantoms were playing. Whilst I appreciate their capabilities for such small cabinets, they were just way too bassy.?

Rega's new Planar 3 really looks the part. The RP3 was a great turntable (still is), but now you can have something that sounds even better and looks more in line with an RP6! I'll say more on this when we get on in store over the next week or so.?

Tannoy were using an RP6 as a source to show off their new £300 floorstanders, which actually sounded really good! The first track I heard on them sounded a tad boxy, but the track played after (Gary Moore's Parisienne Walkways) that quickly removed that issue - silly value for money.?

Sound Fowndations had three rooms. One had bits and bobs in which didn't involve music, but one had an interesting new cartridge that uses light to create a signal rather than magnets, despite still tracking the groove with a conventional stylus. I'm awaiting the technical data to find out more about this. Also in this room was seemingly the happiest rep at the whole show - the flamboyant Chris - who seems to rather like his "It's Album Time With Todd Terje" LP.  He was having a good time even if no one else was! The Led Zep sessions LP played through this system sounded amazing - I want a copy!?

The Kudos room were showing off their Titan loudspeakers again this year - unfortunately I think I preferred how they sounded last year.?

The system in NuNu Distribution's TAD room was reassuringly expensive, reassuringly well built, and reassuringly fantastic sounding. I popped in as I had never heard any of the TAD speakers before, and was greeted with a completely holographic image in front of me. No overhang, no smearing, nothing. Beautiful looking CD player too, a little stealthy looking. This was the last room I visited, and wish I'd have gone in their previously, as the chap in there was fascinating to talk to, and said what he meant!?

I did pop in to the Hegel room, but I liked the sound they were producing last year - not so much this year.?

The Technics rooms were interesting. It seems they've listened to feedback and decided not to use their speakers in one of their rooms this year! The room with the SCM11s were in sounded great, but the one with their speakers in was probably the worst of the show for me, which I don't quite understand, as those speakers sounded pretty good last year.?

Ophidian's room was interesting. Tiny speakers with tiny drive units. Not cheap, but seemed to produce a good enough sound given that the laws of physics were stacked against them! Like the Neat room (and seemingly most other rooms), these were pulled out a good metre into the room, which I understand from the point of view of trying to get an even response in as large a slace as possible, but just not feasible in the average living room. It'd be interesting to hear these in familiar surroundings.

Last year I visited the Entotem room to see what "Plato" was all about. I did so this year too, only to find the product has been overhauled and vastly improved! For those that can't remember, this is a one box, do-it-all solution, which will also store music and video on its internal HDD space (SSD option coming). Whether the source is CD, vinyl or tape, it will rip to its internal memory for you to call on at will, and will also add metadata to all of the above too! This year sees a number of improvements, the biggest being the user interface, which looks far more slick and stylish. There's more colour options now, and it will also be available as a "source only" product with the amplification removed to use with your own choice of amplification.?

Massive credit their to the Arcam boys for setting that up, and you could tell Andy Moore was suitably proud of the system he was demonstrating.?

Cheers David, kinda makes me wish I'd made notes.

But I had my son with me - such levels of nerdiness can only be indulged in when alone....

Oh.....Andrew, see, Spendor were driven with Cyrus (maybe) - I still don't think the Hegels live up to their claims.......

Harbeth were driven by hegel who said anything about spender?

I only said that as you claimed the harbeth sounded so good this year and then how bad the hegel sounded so i thought id just mention the harbeths were connected to hegel.

I dont care what you think there are loads of amps out there for you to look at other than hegel anyway. Btw how is dave at frank harvey saying not impressed proof of anything? They dont sell hegel products so why would they be impressed? Also the jl sub room was strange also but i was not there to judge for myself.

So are we clear now harbeth ran by hegel= good sound confirmed by you

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Oh, don't be like that Andrew.... Gosh man.

Its all relative - the Herberths sounded great both last year and this - I thought you meant Spendors which I was sure had a Cyrus streamer or CD/amp. PSX or power amp bolted on and drove the A6 speakers well, to my surprise - never thought a Cyrus would have the muscle.

I'm not knocking Hegel.....

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I sat in the Dali room for a while and heard the Opticon 6 (powered by Roksan Kandy K3 integrated/dac/cd) and briefly the active version of the Zensor floorstanders. The Dali/Roksan sound was nice, warm and not overly bright unlike some of the other rooms.

The Opticon 6s looked quite big (the 8s must be huge!) and sounded easy going.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
wilro15 said:
I sat in the Dali room for a while and heard the Opticon 6 (powered by Roksan Kandy K3 integrated/dac/cd) and briefly the active version of the Zensor floorstanders. The Dali/Roksan sound was nice, warm and not overly bright unlike some of the other rooms.

The Opticon 6s looked quite big (the 8s must be huge!) and sounded easy going.
the opticon 8s are very big someone on here ordered a set but when he got them they were all damged *shok* the chap waited 2 weeks for them to turn up gutted

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
Oh, don't be like that Andrew.... Gosh man.

Its all relative - the Herberths sounded great both last year and this - I thought you meant Spendors which I was sure had a Cyrus streamer or CD/amp. PSX or power amp bolted on and drove the A6 speakers well, to my surprise - never thought a Cyrus would have the muscle.

I'm not knocking Hegel.....

I am just responding to what you said. Im not annoyed or fighting or anything im just killing time at work lol

When you said the harbeth sounded so good then not the hegel i thought you were wanting to get a reaction so i just pointed out that hegel/harbeth were together. Not everyone likes the same anyway as we will all be boring.

No hard feelings at all we all get on i hope i only come accross a bit straight forward as im south african lol

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
I dont care what you think there are loads of amps out there for you to look at other than hegel anyway. Btw how is dave at frank harvey saying not impressed proof of anything? They dont sell hegel products so why would they be impressed? Also the jl sub room was strange also but i was not there to judge for myself.
I did say that Hegel sounded good last year - I just didn't think it was as good this year.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Andrewjvt said:
I did say that Hegel sounded good last year - I just didn't think it was as good this year.

Spending 3 long days in a busy crowded exhibition. And anyone else with all the crowds and talking etc how realistic is it to judge any make of equipment at these sort of shows. I mean if jl subs never impressed you then somethings not right.

Everyone mentions how your mood effects how you enjoy sound in other threads.

I get annoyed walking around busy crowds so maybe i also wouldnt enjoy much either??

CarlDW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I must admit I was most impressed by the little Elac Debut B5 speakers (£250) on the end of £3k+ worth of Moon amplification. A really big, room-filling sound and one of the highlights of the show for me.

I also thought the PMC Twenty.26 were sublime, as were the Spendor and ProAc speakers on show.

I didn't think that a lot of the higher-end stuff sounded that great (Hegel, Naim, Devialet), their relative prices considering, but then again I suppose small hotel rooms are not the best venue for showing off how good they can sound.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
Andrewjvt said:

Spending 3 long days in a busy crowded exhibition. And anyone else with all the crowds and talking etc how realistic is it to judge any make of equipment at these sort of shows. I mean if jl subs never impressed you then somethings not right.

I get annoyed walking around busy crowds so maybe i also wouldnt enjoy much either??

A dealer shat on a competitor's product in public, or he is superhuman with audio memory spanning for years, and the amp comes of better or worse each harvesting season depending on moisture and flourescent light variations in the factory line. What would William of Ockham say on this, I wonder.
scratchchin.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
A dealer shat on a competitor's product in public, or he is superhuman with audio memory spanning for years, and the amp comes of better or worse each harvesting season depending on moisture and flourescent light variations in the factory line. What would William of Ockham say on this, I wonder.

He was too busy shaving.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
A tad strong, but then that is your confrontational style.

I heard the Hegel room last year and remember enjoying it - I heard the Hegel room this year, and I didn't enjoy it as much. I haven't been personally impressed with JL's demos. Nothing really hard to understand there, other than for those who want to make mountains out of molehills or poke sticks in bee's nests. I have nothing against Hegel or JL, I was just stating my personal opinion (good/bad/indifferent) from the weekend, as I did so for various other manufacturers.

Much of whether someone enjoys a room can be down to the material the demonstrators use - as long as the system has been set up well.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
Andrewjvt said:

A dealer shat on a competitor's product in public, or he is superhuman with audio memory spanning for years, and the amp comes of better or worse each harvesting season depending on moisture and flourescent light variations in the factory line. What would William of Ockham say on this, I wonder. 

Form.an opinion from so many different sounds.

Also amazing how certain products that are known to sell well suddenly sound amazing. And products that steal from the oposition sound bad.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
Andrewjvt said:

Form.an opinion from so many different sounds.

Also amazing how certain products that are known to sell well suddenly sound amazing.
no point in taking the bait ! This places are noisy lots of people all wanting to look and listen and let's face it it's not the best place to hear a demo and everyone's opinion is different if you like your setup that's all that Matters really

TRENDING THREADS