Bristol.....

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Just came back from the Bristol show.....so a few thoughts.

This was the last day so maybe the lack of enthusiasm by the hosts was to be expected.

Anyhoo the quality of the sound 2016 was far better than last years with many venders sorting out their front ends.

Turntables made a good (and it's growing) showing and streamers were much improved.

The desire to over push the speakers was still evident though in too many rooms - the need to impress - less is more sometimes.

Did notice though none of the systems really did the hifi thing this year - not even the Naim driven stuff.
Like holographic imaging, 3d sound it all sounded a little flat.

That said Harbeths mini monitors really are a speaker that deserves more attention - was impressed with them last year more so this year.

The New Missions sounded good but are pretty plain looking in the flesh, grey is not an inviting look.

Elacs standmounts deserve a mention too for most impressive bass for their size. Regas amps got alot of work this year generally sounded better than the stuff driven by Roksan k3 and the Hegels (imo of course)

I have to go digest what I saw and heard though.....

Just want to say though music choice was rubbish this year too many drab slow derges - so much music out there and these guys choose the same dross......

Anyway feel free to add tour own experience..... :)

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Good to get your impressions.

Any thoughts on Hegel/Kef Ref or Icon Audio room?

Was Audio Note present?

Cno, I made no notes but tried to give each room a fair listen but did not take note of every vender.

Hegel I did seek out and I have to admit I was not impressed.

They had 3amps in a rack it was not clear which was playing (went in mid demo) but I was not impressed heard nothing to suggest the specs often thrown about are real.....not saying they are not, but........

The Hegal amp was used in other rooms. ... I dunno.

The big KEF's did not sound as impressive as the Spendor A6's though..... The A6's stood out imo.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
CnoEvil said:

Was Audio Note present?

Cno, I made no notes but tried to give each room a fair listen but did not take note of every vender.

They had 3amps in a rack it was not clear which was playing (went in mid demo) but I was not impressed heard nothing to suggest the specs often thrown about are real.....not saying they are not, but........

The big KEF's did not sound as impressive as the Spendor A6's though..... The A6's stood out imo.

You said they impressed you but they were using hegel lol

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Thompsonuxb said:
CnoEvil said:

Was Audio Note present?

You sure?

I'm sure it was Cyrus amplification and streamer.

The A5's were in the same room with the amps between them on the floor.

But Hegel were widely used.

But if that's the case Spendor more suited to Hegel than KEF's.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
Andrewjvt said:
Thompsonuxb said:
CnoEvil said:

Was Audio Note present?

You sure?

But as i was not there id have to check but harbeth confirmed used h360 for monitors

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
Andrewjvt said:
Thompsonuxb said:
CnoEvil said:

Was Audio Note present?

You sure?

Atcs dont forget

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi all

Yes Cno, Audionote were there in their usual corner of the 4th floor, this is usually one of my preferred rooms and this year was no exception ( quite possibly as my own system incorporates AN-K speakers, bought after taking advice from these esteemed pages so it is a sound I both enjoy and am familiar with) I always find the Audionote stuff a bit easier on my ear, some of the rooms this year offered great clarity but gave me the usual headache I often experience at these shows. I decided this year would probably be my last, I have attended for about 20 years now and although I enjoy it I don't think a lot of the show systems sound that great. That's not to say the kit wouldn't sound fine in the right circumstances but there is often some salesman chatting away (you can't really blame them for that), you are sat right in front of a speaker, and you can hear the Eagles or Phil Collins being played yet again in the neighbouring rooms. The shows are useful if you are looking for something in particular or want to ask some specific questions but I don't think you should attend expecting to be blown away, what with the room acoustics, ambient noise and general chit chat (not to mention lots of predictable music). I actually left this year feeling quite grateful for the system I have which must be a good thing.........:)

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
mond said:
Hi all

Yes Cno, Audionote were there in their usual corner of the 4th floor, this is usually one of my preferred rooms and this year was no exception ( quite possibly as my own system incorporates AN-K speakers, bought after taking advice from these esteemed pages so it is a sound I both enjoy and am familiar with) I always find the Audionote stuff a bit easier on my ear, some of the rooms this year offered great clarity but gave me the usual headache I often experience at these shows. I decided this year would probably be my last, I have attended for about 20 years now and although I enjoy it I don't think a lot of the show systems sound that great. That's not to say the kit wouldn't sound fine in the right circumstances but there is often some salesman chatting away (you can't really blame them for that), you are sat right in front of a speaker, and you can hear the Eagles or Phil Collins being played yet again in the neighbouring rooms. The shows are useful if you are looking for something in particular or want to ask some specific questions but I don't think you should attend expecting to be blown away, what with the room acoustics, ambient noise and general chit chat (not to mention lots of predictable music). I actually left  this year feeling quite grateful for the system I have which must be a good thing.........:)

I agree with this.

II'm sure these systems would work much better under the right circumstances but in this environment too many leave alot to be desired for the reasons you state.

My 2nd show.......

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Can you custom order the display in red?

Electro%20on%20rack_zpsduwsrwcn.png

Gorgeous ! you can quite clearly see the golden buttons on the rear rack ! *man_in_love*

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
I think Hegel need to catch up with the rest of the world and realise that using attractive women in this way to sell products is out of the ark.

No, their customers are (mostly) 'out of the ark' too, so the advertising is spot-on.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
In the interests of gender equality and fairness and to shame the travelers from the ark I feel it is only right and pollitically correct to post this

Outraged from Tunbridge wells .*aggressive*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdrE1VMxzoE

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Yes.

I feel Hegel has been under represented at this years Academy Awards.

They should wake up and reform the process.

Until such time, I think Hegel (and black folks) should boycott the event.

Shameful

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
matthewpiano said:
I think Hegel need to catch up with the rest of the world and realise that using attractive women in this way to sell products is out of the ark.

No, their customers are (mostly) 'out of the ark' too, so the advertising is spot-on.

Dear CPVPV, 'out of the ark' is too evolved, I'm 100% Neanderthal. I must have read the wrong books.

shadders

Hi,

I checked out the Bristol Audio show Web site yesterday and the picture (not there now), had a queue from the hotel entrance around the corner. The demographic was essentially male.

I don't see any issue with the picutre. If one is such a lame brain and you are swayed by a woman provocatively positioned across a piece of electronics then as they say, a fool and his money are easily parted.

I am sure the model is paid sufficiently, and therefore why not enjoy the view, while you still can, as it is with hearing, somethings wane as you get older.
sad_smile.gif

Regards,

Shadders.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
One of the best systems I heard at Bristol was in one of the two Technics rooms. They were running the new SL1200GAE turntable into what looked like a Technics integrated amp. This was in turn connected to some non-Technics speakers, I can't remember the name of them. They were black standmounters, pretty ordinary looking but sounded amazing - proper 3d soundstage. That was my favourite.

Most of the systems sounded too bright to me! Maybe my ears are defective...

wilro15 said:
One of the best systems I heard at Bristol was in one of the two Technics rooms. They were running the new SL1200GAE turntable into what looked like a Technics integrated amp. This was in turn connected to some non-Technics speakers, I can't remember the name of them. They were black standmounters, pretty ordinary looking but sounded amazing - proper 3d soundstage. That was my favourite.

HI wilro15

The black standmounters technics were using are ATC's curved SCM11 monitors.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

shadders

wilro15 said:

Hi,

before I bought my CA Azur 650A, the reviews stated it sounded bright. I sort of did not believe it, so I ordered the amplifier on specification, and indeed, the amplifier was brighter than my Audiolab 8000A. I was surprised at this.

The CA uses Sanken transistors, as do many other amplifiers currently available, as their performance and/or specification is rather good.

So, is this brighter sounding batch of amplifiers from many manufactuers based on the possibility that it is the Sanken transistors that create a brighter sound?

Regards,

Shadders.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts