Bristol.....

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
Andrewjvt said:
I dont care what you think there are loads of amps out there for you to look at other than hegel anyway. Btw how is dave at frank harvey saying not impressed proof of anything? They dont sell hegel products so why would they be impressed? Also the jl sub room was strange also but i was not there to judge for myself.
I did say that Hegel sounded good last year - I just didn't think it was as good this year.

Spending 3 long days in a busy crowded exhibition. And anyone else with all the crowds and talking etc how realistic is it to judge any make of equipment at these sort of shows. I mean if jl subs never impressed you then somethings not right.

Everyone mentions how your mood effects how you enjoy sound in other threads.

I get annoyed walking around busy crowds so maybe i also wouldnt enjoy much either??

A dealer shat on a competitor's product in public, or he is superhuman with audio memory spanning for years, and the amp comes of better or worse each harvesting season depending on moisture and flourescent light variations in the factory line. What would William of Ockham say on this, I wonder.

Form.an opinion from so many different sounds.

Also amazing how certain products that are known to sell well suddenly sound amazing. And products that steal from the oposition sound bad.

Crowded show, different speakers, components, positioning, music, and lets add the months of time difference. Yet somehow one can reliably tell if the same amp inside a complex system sounds better or worse than last year. Either someone is so asured in personal super human cognitive abilities, or he is spreading anticompetitive manure and filtering the odor through the already seen puppet show "I'm not Frank Harvey the dealer, this is now David the honest audiophile talking".

But in the end it's your fault Andrew for saying outloud "It stinks!". We all mean it but we don't say it so we don't have to endure the puppet show again. Just scroll through it and don't bother next time, please.

matthewpiano

Was there any Pioneer at the show?

I keep hoping Pioneer will bring the A-400 back. If they ever do, I'd be straight on it and (as long as I had the funds available) I'd happily pay £500-£600 for it. I'd still think it a bargain, and I doubt I'm the only one. I think a new A-400 would sell in very big numbers.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
The Pioneer A-400 competed with the Mission Cyrus 2 (and bettered it inmho - I own them both) and the A and R A60 amp. - It can sound strained when pushed to higher volumes. But other than that a great all rounder

tonky

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
nopiano said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
what about dali speakers were dali there ?
They were, but the room was very busy so I didn't hear them.

Now I'm not shy about pushing my way in, but the Dali room was so busy when I was there that I just about managed to peer in and see they were showing the opticon range. That's as close as I got.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Crowded show, different speakers, components, positioning, music, and lets add the months of time difference. Yet somehow one can reliably tell if the same amp inside a complex system sounds better or worse than last year. Either someone is so asured in personal super human cognitive abilities, or he is spreading anticompetitive manure and filtering the odor through the already seen puppet show "I'm not Frank Harvey the dealer, this is now David the honest audiophile talking".
How simply do I need to explain something to you?! Last year, the overall feeling I got was that the Hegel room sounded good. I also went and bought the album they were playing at the time because it was a little different. Oh, and I went back for a second listen as well. This year, my overall feeling was that it didn't have the same impact on me. We don't all have to sit down to blind tests, listening to a few seconds of music on one system, then switch to another system before we forget who we are - some people can actually form general opinions that don't need to be based on highly scientific comparisons. You either enjoy something or you don't.

As I've said before, if I wasn't here representing the company I work for, I would still be posting, and my posting style and content would be no different. Take it or leave it, I really don't give a monkey's.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
I keep hoping Pioneer will bring the A-400 back. If they ever do, I'd be straight on it and (as long as I had the funds available) I'd happily pay £500-£600 for it. I'd still think it a bargain, and I doubt I'm the only one. I think a new A-400 would sell in very big numbers.
I reckon you'd be looking closer to £1k...

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Vladimir said:
How simply do I need to explain something to you?! Last year, the overall feeling I got was that the Hegel room sounded good. I also went and bought the album they were playing at the time because it was a little different. Oh, and I went back for a second listen as well. This year, my overall feeling was that it didn't have the same impact on me. We don't all have to sit down to blind tests, listening to a few seconds of music on one system, then switch to another system before we forget who we are - some people can actually form general opinions that don't need to be based on highly scientific comparisons. You either enjoy something or you don't.

As I've said before, if I wasn't here representing the company I work for, I would still be posting, and my posting style and content would be no different. Take it or leave it, I really don't give a monkey's.

FWIW I agree entirely with the bold underlined impressions above *smile*

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
Andrewjvt said:
I dont care what you think there are loads of amps out there for you to look at other than hegel anyway. Btw how is dave at frank harvey saying not impressed proof of anything? They dont sell hegel products so why would they be impressed? Also the jl sub room was strange also but i was not there to judge for myself.
I did say that Hegel sounded good last year - I just didn't think it was as good this year.

Spending 3 long days in a busy crowded exhibition. And anyone else with all the crowds and talking etc how realistic is it to judge any make of equipment at these sort of shows. I mean if jl subs never impressed you then somethings not right.

I get annoyed walking around busy crowds so maybe i also wouldnt enjoy much either??

A dealer shat on a competitor's product in public, or he is superhuman with audio memory spanning for years, and the amp comes of better or worse each harvesting season depending on moisture and flourescent light variations in the factory line. What would William of Ockham say on this, I wonder. 

That's pretty pathetic Vlad.....seriously man.

Who is their job 24x7?

Fact is the Hegels did not sound outstanding - considering it's probably the highest spec amp out there under 3k power wise.

Last year they had the disclaimer they used LS50's - this year they had a fair few around the place.

I thought one was driving the Mission LX speakers which sounded good( I look forward to the WHF review) - but apparently it was the Audiolab 8300 which is a dead ringer for the Hegels.

Anyway, how can you knock a man's personal appraisal just so......

That's just being silly.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Thompsonuxb said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Fact is the Hegels did not sound outstanding....

That's just being silly.
There is a big difference between "Fact" and "Personal Appraisal"...it's only a fact that "you" didn't rate the Hegel that highly.

That's the only fact you need...... ;-)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
Fact is the Hegels did not sound outstanding....

That's just being silly.
There is a big difference between "Fact" and "Personal Appraisal"...it's only a fact that "you" didn't rate the Hegel that highly.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
But seriously.....

A post above said of the Dali demo the Roksan K3 did not sound 'bright'.....

I actually thought that set up sounded dull.

The bigger of the 2 boxes had 'ribbon tweeters and still sounded 'dull' .

I do accept we have different preferences to how music is presented to us.

So yes these are just my opinions..... :)

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
But seriously.....

I am not sure why but the Dali opticon speakers do sound dull on the roksan k3 amp for some reason I found that out on a demo

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
Andrewjvt said:

A dealer shat on a competitor's product in public, or he is superhuman with audio memory spanning for years, and the amp comes of better or worse each harvesting season depending on moisture and flourescent light variations in the factory line. What would William of Ockham say on this, I wonder.

Who is their job 24x7?

Fact is the Hegels did not sound outstanding - considering it's probably the highest spec amp out there under 3k power wise.

Last year they had the disclaimer they used LS50's - this year they had a fair few around the place.

I thought one was driving the Mission LX speakers which sounded good( I look forward to the WHF review) - but apparently it was the Audiolab 8300 which is a dead ringer for the Hegels.

That's just being silly.

Learn speaking properly and making a concise thought, then call me pathetic.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Thompsonuxb said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
Andrewjvt said:

A dealer shat on a competitor's product in public, or he is superhuman with audio memory spanning for years, and the amp comes of better or worse each harvesting season depending on moisture and flourescent light variations in the factory line. What would William of Ockham say on this, I wonder.?

Who is their job 24x7?

That's just being silly.

Learn speaking properly and making a concise thought, then call me pathetic. 

What!?

If I do it makes you no less pathetic......

Grow up Vlad!

Andrewjvt said:
the jl sub room was strange also but i was not there to judge for myself

Hi Andrew

Never mind Coventry appreciates JL Audio sub woofers as confirmed today 2 x E-112's, a Fathom f110 v2 and a Arcam AVR850 on the way
regular_smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
Just spent ages doing a review of the show only to find the site had a 'fault' and I couldn't post. All good anyway.

Oh Vlad, xxxxxxxx. Soon. There really is nothing worse than a cowardly keyboard warrior.

Edited by MODERATOR: We'll draw the line at wishing people dead please.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Thompsonuxb said:
But seriously.....

I am not sure why but the Dali opticon speakers do sound dull on the roksan k3 amp for some reason I found that out on a demo 

Dali opticton 6 with audiolab and i specially listened to the top tweeter to see if i coupd hear it and i could not. Its just i remember a post of yours a while back. Also sounded dull with audiolab but it was not loud though.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
HDNumpty said:
Just spent ages doing a review of the show only to find the site had a 'fault' and I couldn't post.  All good anyway.

Oh Vlad, please die.  Soon.  There really is nothing worse than a cowardly keyboard warrior.

Is that not what you also have just done?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Andrewjvt said:
the jl sub room was strange also but i was not there to judge for myself

Hi Andrew

Never mind Coventry appreciates JL Audio sub woofers as confirmed today 2 x E-112's, a Fathom f110 v2 and a Arcam AVR850 on the way

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

As i cant wait to get my hands on one also(or 2)

matthewpiano

David@FrankHarvey said:
matthewpiano said:
I reckon you'd be looking closer to £1k...
If I had the money and it sounded like the original, but brand new, I'd still be quite happy with that. I suppose I should listen to the new A50DA and A70DA models at some point, but they seem to have a very different aim and certainly a different design to the A400, so I suppose I could be disappointed.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I must admit I do miss the show when it also used to be in Manchester. I always found something that caught my eye, it was a good day out.

Meanwhile back to Bristol, did anyone by any chance pay a visit to the Creek room? I believe they had their new

Evolution 100CD model on show.

philpot1001

May 28, 2015
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Thompsonuxb said:
But seriously.....

I heard the Opticon with a CXA80 in RicherSounds - TBH i was underwhelmed as the mid range sounded very clouded.............*CAVEAT - it was in a small boxy room, with the dealers music, not my own. I will reserve proper judgement until ive heard them on my terms with my amp.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
philpot1001 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Thompsonuxb said:
But seriously.....

I heard the Opticon with a CXA80 in RicherSounds - TBH i was underwhelmed as the mid range sounded very clouded.............*CAVEAT - it was in a small boxy room, with the dealers music, not my own. I will reserve proper judgement until ive heard them on my terms with my amp.
your got the marantz pm8005 so should sound ok with this amp the opticons should sound clear and detailed with nice low down bass all well controled and smooth sound like silk but if you had a demo in a very small room with 6s that's not great but also understand they maybe not your cupper tea but like i say i had a demo with this on a roksan k3 and they come across lifeless and dull not sure why the same with the dali 3s dull so dali not suited to roksan amps

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts