Best speakers under £3000?

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Hello. What would your recommendations before for best speakers under £3000? Or ideally, under £2000, if you think there are some that deserve a mention?

I have picked up a Naim Supernait amp/dac and play digital files. I like all types of music and the room is roughly 4x4m with a 3.2m ceiling.

I am seeking amazing clarity, good bass, realistic vocals, just something really special. Don't mind standmounts or floorstanders.

Thanks!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I would put forward these speakers into the mix:

NEAT - Classic Elite SX / Momentum 4i
KEF REF - 201/2
PMC - FB1i
MA - PL 100
B&W - PM 1

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Spoilt for choice!

My first choice would go to the ProAc Response D18's. Of all the numerous £2k-ish speakers we have, these seem to be the ones that more people choose in A/B demos, regardless of the amplification used (assuming the amps up to it of course!), and the source material. They're a little easier to place than many other speakers with good bass response as their reflex port fires downwards not rearwards, which means they can be placed closer to a wall than many other designs.

Then there's either the PMC GB1i or FB1i. Main difference is that FB1i has a larger internal cabinet volume and a larger bass driver, so will dig deeper and are more effortless in their bass response, which uses transmission line technology.

Neat's Classic SX might be something to look at too, which would come in under £2k, but if you can stretch to the Momentum 4i's, they'll give you some extra punch thanks to their isobaric speaker arrangement.

Naim's Ovator S400 is a nice sounding speaker too, which we've ran off a 152/155 pretty well, so a SuperNait should drive them pretty well.

I'd also take a look at the B&W CM9 and Monitor Audio GX200 or GX300, both of which have a good bass response for their cabinet sizes, and are a little more of a forward rpesentation, bringing out the midrange and treble a little more.

KEF's upcoming R900 loudspeaker would be a good one to try out too - the synergy between Naim and KEF's newer speakers is excellent - the little Q300's sound amazing on a Nait 5i. The new UniQ driver of the R series promises much!

Any of the above will give you a great sounding system along with a SuperNait, but it's down to which you'd prefer with your styles of music. I find it hard to really choose one particular pair of speakers and single them out as the best as there's so many good speakers out there. If I had to choose a shining star from that bunch, it would probably be the ProAc D18.

A

Anonymous

My choice woudl be the Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grands or even the Beethoven Baby Grands - fabulous clarity and brilliant vocals.

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys, there are some good recomendations there actually. I suppose the next part of the brief is for the speakers to be quite small, or at least lowish rise. The Spendor A5 caught my eye actually, but wondered if the Classic Elite SX, Proac D18s would be better?

I'm not a big fan of the B&W / Kef / Monitor Audio as they look a little too glitzy with their shiny bits and fascia features. I like the very classic looking simple wooden boxes, so I guess it's down to Spendor, Proac or Neat. Any thoughts, comparisons much appreciated!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The best speaker is the one which you prefer with the Naim, and none of us can tell you that.....there are some excellent suggestions listed above, so give some of them a listen and see what you think.

Spendor -> Proac -> PMC -> Neat... this sees the musical presentation getting gradually livelier and more forward.

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, that's interesting to know in terms of the liveliness scale!

Also, does anyone know who these speakers are by? Are they Proac?

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/252/449612529_3201c6621e_b.jpg

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Just reading up on the options you guys have put forward.

The Neat Momentum's look the business, review sound right up my street. However, they're huge, at over a metre tall.

Just wondered would anyone recommend the Neat Momentum 3i? Are they up there with the 4i floorstanders in terms of a big sound? How would they compare to the Spendor A5? They are around the same price.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
audiokid said:

Living Voice Auditorium.

The amp is made by Prima Luna

The Apartment is in Amsterdam

Table and chairs designed by Friso Kramer

The speakers were only on loan for a week. The photographer still uses his old Epos M12s (only in a different apartment since that picture).

The owner is an architect.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
If you can live with the size and distance from walls then Magnepan or Martin Logan give unbelievably realistic performance - they disappear, leaving you in the room with the artist/e. Jaw-dropping experience, but you do need the space.

Next best for me were the Harbeths - not heard much better from box speakers, but the bigger models aren't the most beautiful of creations, unlike the sound!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
audiokid said:

Living Voice Auditorium.

The speakers were only on loan for a week. The photographer still uses his old Epos M12s (only in a different apartment since that picture).

Chebby, you don't have a brother who is an architect and lives in Amsterdam, by any chance? :)

chebby said:
audiokid said:

Living Voice Auditorium.

I've got to ask, chebby, how the flippin' heck did you know that? Was it featured in a magazine, or can you unravel flikr links, maybe?

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
audiokid said:
Just reading up on the options you guys have put forward.

The Neat Momentum's look the business, review sound right up my street. However, they're huge, at over a metre tall.

Just wondered would anyone recommend the Neat Momentum 3i? Are they up there with the 4i floorstanders in terms of a big sound? How would they compare to the Spendor A5? They are around the same price.

Hi, I would recommend the Momentum 3i (surprise surprise, given that I have them on the end of my SN!) they are one of the few stand mounters that really compete with a floor stander in terms of bass depth and punch, that is really one of their strengths. In fact my problem has always been positioning them so that the bass isn't TOO strong. They certainly have all the qualities you are after, but as with any speaker purchase you really need to audition them at home, as it's the combination of speaker and room that you are going to be listening to.

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I would like to demo the Momentum 3i at home, but not sure who would offer that service. Any suggestions are more than welcome!

I managed to demo the Spendor A5, and thought they sounded good. Although I have to say, I didn't like the PMC equivalents so much, thought they were lacking the bass in comparison.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Worth a home demo, IMHO:

ProAc Response D18 (needs c. 200 hours run-in before its low-end bass is fully 'released')

Spendor A6

Totem Forest (occasionally available 2nd-hand @ £1700-2000)

Then again, in a 4m x 4m room you'd be suprised how sweet, and mighty, the Spendor A5 can sound :)

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
OK guys, I have narrowed down my options, based on price / size / looks / reviews / not getting on with some of the other options, like the PMC as they seemed too light.

Just as a reminder I have a Naim Supernait, play all kinds of music (Digitally) and I'd like some speakers with clarity, weight, excitement, realism and they should suit a room of 4x4m. I'm going to demo some of these, but your opinions and advice would be much appreciated! I could probably afford the 4i, for example, but would prefer, ideally, to keep the price down, if the differences are generally thought to be minimal, over, say, the Elite SX. My options are:

Neat Momentum 4i

Neat Momentum 3i

Neat Elite SX

Kudos C2

Kudos X2

Spendor A5

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts! Votes please. If you have a pecking order, even better! Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts