Best speakers under £3000?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
It's a conservative list, but you need to add Harbeth. They're better than most you mention.

Oh yes, of course. Which ones? I'm assuming the Harbeth 7ES3? London is tricky for a demo of these, that's the only problem.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
audiokid said:
altruistic.lemon said:
It's a conservative list, but you need to add Harbeth. They're better than most you mention.

Oh yes, of course. Which ones? I'm assuming the Harbeth 7ES3? London is tricky for a demo of these, that's the only problem.

Harbeth are worth making the effort to hear.

KJ West One (26 New Cavendish St W1G 8TY - 0207 4868262/3) - are their dealer listed in London.

Edit: Models to consider: Compact 7ES-3; Monitor 30; Super HL5

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I tried the Harbeth C7/ Monitor 30 and the HL5 today. They were very clear but did seem to be lacking in bass. The C7s felt more lively than the othert two but the monitor 30 were a bit warmer IMO. Hmm, not totally convinced. If I only listened to jazz all day, they would be incredible, but as soon as a kick drum gets added, they lack the authority a little. Might be worth a second demo, as I'm used to much warmer speakers.

Will also be trying the higher end Neats this weekend.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
audiokid said:
I tried the Harbeth C7/ Monitor 30 and the HL5 today. They were very clear but did seem to be lacking in bass. The C7s felt more lively than the othert two but the monitor 30 were a bit warmer IMO. Hmm, not totally convinced. If I only listened to jazz all day, they would be incredible, but as soon as a kick drum gets added, they lack the authority a little. Might be worth a second demo, as I'm used to much warmer speakers.

Will also be trying the higher end Neats this weekend.

Very interesting to hear back from you......and goes to show the importance of listening to as many speakers as possible.

It is vital to hear your favorites at home, as they can sound very different. When you find the speakers that suit your needs, it's generally very obvious.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I'd also suggest you gave a try to some Dynaudio; Contour S1.4 or if you can already find Focus 160 (theese should be tad cheapper).

however, if you can streach your budget a little bit more I'd suggest Manger Zerobox 109. theese are not well known german speakers but definitely worth considering if you're into a serious listening experience. they use a special star driver to cover frequency from mid bass up to highest treble. bass driver is only responsible for deep bass reinforcement. crossover frequency at 140Hz tells something about it. the fact that the most crucial part of audioband is reproduced by only one driver means there's no haziness in imaging - pure clarity. and that's only one advantage. if you're interested there's a lot info on Manger's website.

Naxos

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
I'd have to put a shout in for the Neat Elite SX - I have a Supernait and they not only sound wonderful in just about any repertoire I throw at them (and that's a lot!), but they're also pretty undemanding in terms of placement. They're also finished to an extremely high standard (I have the light oak finish).

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
audiokid said:
Hello. What would your recommendations before for best speakers under £3000? Or ideally, under £2000, if you think there are some that deserve a mention?

I have picked up a Naim Supernait amp/dac and play digital files. I like all types of music and the room is roughly 4x4m with a 3.2m ceiling.

I am seeking amazing clarity, good bass, realistic vocals, just something really special. Don't mind standmounts or floorstanders.

Thanks!

Totem Mani II sigs.

I have a pair that i bought off a fella running a Naim system. I audiotioned the Mani's before i bought and that Naim/Totem combo was sublime.

Obviously they would have to be second hand as they are nearly 5k new but worth hunting down imo and will give you what you want.

That combo is well know on the Naim circuit.

A

Anonymous

audiokid said:
AlmaataKZ said:
consider avi adm9t.

Been there I'm afraid. I found them a little too flat but would consider them for studio monitors in the future. They are a fantastic product though!

flat, as in the frequency response ;)

Did you try them with a sub?

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
snivilisationism said:
audiokid said:
AlmaataKZ said:
consider avi adm9t.

Been there I'm afraid. I found them a little too flat but would consider them for studio monitors in the future. They are a fantastic product though!

flat, as in the frequency response ;)

Did you try them with a sub?

No, I guess that would help, but just don't have the space for a sub.

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the responses guys. I tried lots of speakers yesterday.

Neat Momentum 3i and 4i

B&W PM1 Va

Neat Classic Elite SX

Various PMC

Harbeth C7/M30/HLS5

I just can't gel with the PMC sound, or the B&W. The Harbeth sounded fantastic but lacked bass and the Neat Classic SX weaker in comparison to the 3i and 4i.

I really liked the 3i in particular. The 4i were a bit more weighty when the volume went up, but I felt they would be too big for my room. The 3i were weighty, clear, fast and suited the Supernait well. My only reservation is whether the real clarity might be overkill, especially being used to the Spendor A5 which are very smooth and laid back in comparison.

The only other speakers I have booked to demo are the Proac D18, which I'm looking forward to.

The Momentum 3i seemed to make the difference i was looking for, but will try the Proac D18 first, see how they compare.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts