BBC Radio 3, Spotify and Vinyl

iMark

Yesterday morning was quite interesting for me. I was listening to BBC Radio 3 when they did the comparison of Mozart's Piano Concerto no. 19 (K 459). Since this is a work I know really well in different performances I was immediately interested.

The overall recommendation for this work was Richard Goode and the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra. But the remark was made that this Nonesuch CD is no longer in print and only available through digital download. I had a look on the Nonesuch website but couldn't find anything in the store. Then I had a look on Spotify and was amazed to find it there, with all other recordings by Richard Goode.

The silver recommendation was Alfred Brendel with Neville Marriner and the Academy of St.Martin-in-the-Fields. That certainly brought back memories. I remember that I was with my father in the local classical record shop when we were listening in the booth to that recording in 1971. I still have that record and put it on. This Philips record still sounds incredible, considering the number of times it has been played. I think playing your parents' old records is a great way to remember them.

All in all a very intersesting morning. If you like classical music (or jazz) I can certainly recommend Spotify Premium. Many recordings that have long been out of print are available. I hope Spotify will coninue their efforts in this way. Incidently, Brendel's Mozart is also available on Spotify.

The only thing that bothers me a bit on Spotify is the search in classical. The record companies are not consistent in the metadata. But it helps if you put in the composer and the name of the performer. Highly recommended!

P.S. The David Bowie is available on Spotify. We listened to it this morning. The jury's still out on that one.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
You are absolutely right, iMark. Spotify is an amazing resource for classical music, although I concur with you regarding the difficulty in finding a specific version and then being able to play the whole album! When I was a student, I collected 78s from junk shops for a bit of fun and found some real comedy gems (well, they made me chuckle anyway!) Amazingly, a large number of them are on Spotify, so I can now inflict them on the kids with a few mouse clicks :)

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I tried Spotify P for a month & was pleasantly surprised by the classical content. Classical causes all sorts of issues regarding playlists, indexing etc with most software.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I love my Spotify, its my main sourse for Classical listening, no idea whats good or bad in classical music, dont have to wast money, simple, if I like what I hear I put it on my play list. Also some great wartime recordings to be had too, suprising SQ, Flanigan and Alan spring to mind as a favourit.

A point to think on, Spotify is often rubbished on its quality . . . I disagree, I get superp sound quality from the medium via my valve amplification.

CJSF

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Regular Spotify Premium user here too.

Sound quality may not be high end but its good enough for me to enjoy it.

The only thing I have noticed is that there are an increasing list of artists greyed out and not available anymore (jazz). It may just be that they naturally stand out as it is impossible to keep track on the new ones joining but nevertheless it is something I am noticing more.

regards

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts