Relaxing/ calming effect of music

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
A bit of a random one this.

So I don't consider myself an insomniac but I do have trouble sleeping. I can lay awake for a few hours when I go to bed or go to sleep straight away but then wake up after an hour or so and again take ages to get back to sleep Unless! I stick my earphones in and get Spotify open on my phone or get one of my MP3 players running.

Music just seems to relax my mind and it doesn't have to be what most would consider relaxing music I've gone to bed listening to some heavy music.

Last night is a classic example. I went to bed after midnight thinking I'm tired I'll sleep, an hour later still awake. So stuck my earphones in, Spotify playing and didn't get to the end of the first track and was asleep, woke up this morning with a track from Gary Numan's Intruder album playing.

Isn't that what music is all about relaxing and enjoying it? I think I've fallen into the trap just lately of over analysing music and my system "can I hear a difference between Spotify and uncompressed music?" If I'm enjoying my music does it matter?

Having said that the difference between some of my sources playing Spotify is definitely noticeable. My old phone playing Spotify at work through my old Denon amp and TDL speakers sounds awful compared to my new phone and my son's phone playing Spotify through the same setup.

Thoughts?

Reactions: JDL

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
I have trouble sleeping too. I think it's a common phenomenon these days.
I agree music is of utmost importance to me and my twin brother, who live together now we're both 59. It's nearly as important as food, maybe more so. Music and coffee sustains us both with the odd bit of food thrown in.

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Yes, when I know I have to get up for something important, I invariably can't get to sleep.
And generally I have real trouble getting to sleep, sometimes it'll take me 3 hours or so.
I sympathise with you. It can be very frustrating.

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
I'm extremely lucky because of where I live. I live down a 3/4 mile long track into a deep Welsh Valley. The nearest neighbours are about a mile away and because we're down in a valley the sound doesn't get heard by anyone other than us even with the door open. I live with my identical twin brother and we have more or less the same musical sensibilities. We're both 59, our women f...ked off long ago, Simon's Offspring have grown up and moved on. Thus......music reigns here! I'm not meaning to boast though, I feel for those of us who have to be mindful of others. I guess headphones are always a good option, but I feel a bit claustrophobic using them.

Reactions: Cricketbat70
I'm extremely lucky because of where I live. I live down a 3/4 mile long track into a deep Welsh Valley. The nearest neighbours are about a mile away and because we're down in a valley the sound doesn't get heard by anyone other than us even with the door open. I live with my identical twin brother and we have more or less the same musical sensibilities. We're both 59, our women f...ked off long ago, Simon's Offspring have grown up and moved on. Thus......music reigns here! I'm not meaning to boast though, I feel for those of us who have to be mindful of others. I guess headphones are always a good option, but I feel a bit claustrophobic using them.
We live in a semi-detached, nevertheless....

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
I have trouble sleeping too. I think it's a common phenomenon these days.
I agree music is of utmost importance to me and my twin brother, who live together now we're both 59. It's nearly as important as food, maybe more so. Music and coffee sustains us both with the odd bit of food thrown in.
I say this with tongue firmly in cheek, but have you ever considered that all that coffee may be messing with your sleep?!? 🤷‍♂️

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
It more than tongue in cheek, I’m sure. It’s the first thing they tell you to reduce. Fresh air and exercise (just walking in my case) helps me sleep if I’ve been out and about during the day.
Yeah, it's great to walk, there are some nice walks here . You always end up walking up because we live in a valley but then it's down all the way back to home.🖐🏻😂

DCarmi

As a long term insomniac, I tried music and that did not work.

What did work, and it took a bit of training, were audiobooks. I have listened to for years. I prefer a relatively non-exciting book when sleep needs to be induced.

There is one book I have which is guaranteed to have me asleep in no time at all. It's the Father Brown Collection and it cost me £2 from Audible at the time. 41+ hours long and the narrator is so dull and dreary that in the past 3 years or so I have not got past chapter 8 of 57 and I am not sure I properly remember those 8 chapters!

There are times when I neglected to set the sleep timer and I've "listened" all night without hearing more than the first few words. I'd class it as "magically soporific" and a terrible audiobook if you actually want to enjoy the stories!

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
Oh if only I lived in a place like that. I live in a terraced house and my wife is always saying "turn the music down think of our neighbours," yet I don't have it that loud.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
I have always had the radio or music on when I go to bed except when I was married. Leave it on a timer.

I have recently had counselling for past issues. One thing that has been brought up is abandonment as a young child. Some people who need that background music etc to get to sleep have abandonment issues from childhood and having the music on means 'there is someone there in the room with you', helping you feel safe.

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Oh if only I lived in a place like that. I live in a terraced house and my wife is always saying "turn the music down think of our neighbours," yet I don't have it that loud.
Oh man...I sympathise. I tell you what. Buy a pack of earplugs, a bottle of gin, pass them to you wife along with a massive bunch of flowers. And say...." My Darling....you I know I love you, well I bought you a little gift, just to show you that you're the most precious thing to me sweetheart......
apart from my music....... don't worry love, just joking."

Reactions: Cricketbat70

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
Oh man...I sympathise. I tell you what. Buy a pack of earplugs, a bottle of gin, pass them to you wife along with a massive bunch of flowers. And say...." My Darling....you I know I love you, well I bought you a little gift, just to show you that you're the most precious thing to me sweetheart......
apart from my music....... don't worry love, just joking."
We celebrated our 30th anniversary on the 26th of June, I wonder how much longer it would last if I did that 🤣

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
We celebrated our 30th anniversary on the 26th of June, I wonder how much longer it would last if I did that 🤣
Ok, sorry, I was being facetious. But let me tell you, music doesn't carry as far as one might think it does. I get paranoid that my music will annoy the builders who were upstairs, I went up there and I could hardly hear it. Are you on good enough terms with your neighbours to go and chat to them and say to them words to the effect of....."If my music is ever too loud and annoying, do please come and tell me and I'll turn it down". Would that make your wonderful wife feel a little better perhaps?

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
Ok, sorry, I was being facetious. But let me tell you, music doesn't carry as far as one might think it does. I get paranoid that my music will annoy the builders who were upstairs, I went up there and I could hardly hear it. Are you on good enough terms with your neighbours to go and chat to them and say to them words to the effect of....."If my music is ever too loud and annoying, do please come and tell me and I'll turn it down". Would that make your wonderful wife feel a little better perhaps?
Oh yeah I knew you were having a laugh, that's why I replied the way I did😜.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts