AVI DM5 and DM10

Theo

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I've been considering going active with AVI DM 10s and would be very grateful if those who have already gone with AVI could comment. I am a registered member of the AVI forums but don't (yet) have permission to post questions.

1. It seems the new DM10s only accept unbalanced inputs and my living room setup will require a cable of around 5m between speakers, would this result in audible interference?

2. Can someone recommend a good value high quality noise immune rca cable of about 5m in length.

3. What is the recommended stand that goes with DM10s? Or any suggested stands?

4. Anyone who went from PMC to AVI recently? Would be interesting to know your thoughts.

5. I note the DM10s support sub out, what is the recommended sub when AVI subs are no longer available?

6. Can someone comment about DM5 or DM10s low volume listening performance? Or do they need to be driven loud?

7. Anyone listening to Solo Piano, Vocal Jazz or Percussion music, how would you rate DM5 or DM10s midrange detail ?

8. How does the DSP control settings done, I didn't see any knobs on DM10 rear panels?

Let me know if you have any comments related to these questions or any other aspect of AVI speakers, the fact that I cannot simply walk into a dealership an audition a pair means I will be depending on your feedback heavily.

John Duncan

Hi Theo. I would suggest you drop Mr James a line and let him know you're trying to post on the forum, he's usually pretty quick and I know he has a bit of a problem with spammers so doesn't automatically let people post. I think deliveries of DM10s have just started and there are a few reviews out there, though don't expect anything other than effusion.

There's a waiting list now as well I think, don't expect to get any before June.

DM5s are currently unavailable, though some are coming on the market second hand. Mr James has hinted at a new run after initial demand for 10s has died down.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site

Cable shouldn't be a problem. Look at Studio Spares.

If you find there is inteference, a couple of cheap Ferrite cores will do the trick IME

AFAIK the subs are continuing to be made, but I heartily recommend BK ( I have an XXLS 400 as well as an Avi Sub, and even if the Avi is slightly the better, it isn't by a huge margin, and the BK wins in depth, and is about half price).

For your music, I imagine they will be perfect. I "only" have ADM9RS, but the DM10 are an evolution rather than revolution I think. They are excellent with all music, but especially stuff that requires clarity and midrange, such as your suggestions.

AFAIK there is no DSP as such. That would rely on your source, but IMO it isn't necessary with Avi speakers.

Stands...anything that brings them to about the right height. Around 60cm is the usual recommendation.

Finally, as John says, contact Ashley. Just make sure you have a large sprinkling of salt to take with what he says...don't get me wrong, they are superb speakers (I have 2 pairs of ADM9s and an Avi sub), but he has a severe case of "foot in mouth disease" if you ask me and a tendency to ******** a step too far which is one reason he is both loved and loathed in almost equal measure.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Since you have posted in this thread I assume you have a tuntable as a main source.

What do you have and what other sources do you use?

The DM5 and ADMs are very different beasts, performance of both, if to your taste, is of a very high order but functionally they are quite different, which will be important in most situations.

Theo

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Hi Theo. I would suggest you drop Mr James a line and let him know you're trying to post on the forum, he's usually pretty quick and I know he has a bit of a problem with spammers so doesn't automatically let people post. I think deliveries of DM10s have just started and there are a few reviews out there, though don't expect anything other than effusion.

There's a waiting list now as well I think, don't expect to get any before June.

DM5s are currently unavailable, though some are coming on the market second hand. Mr James has hinted at a new run after initial demand for 10s has died down.

Thanks for your feedback and you are right, Ashley replied a few minutes after I emailed direct so that is great.

Theo

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
fr0g said:

Cable shouldn't be a problem. Look at Studio Spares.

If you find there is inteference, a couple of cheap Ferrite cores will do the trick IME

AFAIK the subs are continuing to be made, but I heartily recommend BK ( I have an XXLS 400 as well as an Avi Sub, and even if the Avi is slightly the better, it isn't by a huge margin, and the BK wins in depth, and is about half price).

For your music, I imagine they will be perfect. I "only" have ADM9RS, but the DM10 are an evolution rather than revolution I think. They are excellent with all music, but especially stuff that requires clarity and midrange, such as your suggestions.

AFAIK there is no DSP as such. That would rely on your source, but IMO it isn't necessary with Avi speakers.

Stands...anything that brings them to about the right height. Around 60cm is the usual recommendation.

Finally, as John says, contact Ashley. Just make sure you have a large sprinkling of salt to take with what he says...don't get me wrong, they are superb speakers (I have 2 pairs of ADM9s and an Avi sub), but he has a severe case of "foot in mouth disease" if you ask me and a tendency to ******** a step too far which is one reason he is both loved and loathed in almost equal measure.

Thanks for the feedback. I will checkout the subs you mention - main requirement is for very accurate and detailed lows basically I currently have a pair of PMC PB1is but want to downgrade size wise so I am not really looking for thundering bass but rather well defined, articulate lows.

Theo

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
davedotco said:
Since you have posted in this thread I assume you have a tuntable as a main source.

The DM5 and ADMs are very different beasts, performance of both, if to your taste, is of a very high order but functionally they are quite different, which will be important in most situations.

Thanks for letting me know. Actually, posting on the turntable thread was not intentional, I may have touched the wrong link while creating the topic with my tablet. I wonder whether there is a way to move it to main thread?

Theo

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Theo said:
davedotco said:

Thanks for letting me know. Actually, posting on the turntable thread was not intentional, I may have touched the wrong link while creating the topic with my tablet. I wonder whether there is a way to move it to main thread?

Sorry forgot to say... I have a streamer at the moment - a Slimdevices/Logitech streamer and also a NAD M51 but my goal is to upgrade to either a Linn Akurate DS, Lumin or Marantz NA11S1 later on.

Also, I am looking to get AVI DM10s not ADMs but I guess any feedback from current users would be wellcome especially will have to buy and audition rather than the other way round.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Theo said:
davedotco said:

So what sources are you planning to use?

For a simple system with one or two sources the DM10 (or the older ADM9) is all you need. The 'Master' has a built in pre-amp with 2 digital and a single stereo analogue input. The supplied remote allows you to select input and set volume, a supplied 'link' phono cable feeds the second speaker.

Long 5 meter interconnects, whether didital or analog should be fine, remember that you have to run a cable for each source you are using. In short, it is a complete system requiring only sources.

The DM5 is a conventional active speaker with a single line input, ie you will need volume and input switching on a separate device. Best used with a pre-amp of some sort, whether analogue or digital depends on you. A very simple setup can be used with an AEX feeding direct into the speaker, one that AVI seem to recommend.

Theo

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
davedotco said:
Theo said:
davedotco said:

For a simple system with one or two sources the DM10 (or the older ADM9) is all you need. The 'Master' has a built in pre-amp with 2 digital and a single stereo analogue input. The supplied remote allows you to select input and set volume, a supplied 'link' phono cable feeds the second speaker.

Long 5 meter interconnects, whether didital or analog should be fine, remember that you have to run a cable for each source you are using. In short, it is a complete system requiring only sources.

The DM5 is a conventional active speaker with a single line input, ie you will need volume and input switching on a separate device. Best used with a pre-amp of some sort, whether analogue or digital depends on you. A very simple setup can be used with an AEX feeding direct into the speaker, one that AVI seem to recommend.

I have a slimdevices/logitech transporter as source, also a NAD M51 which I might sell-on depending on how good inbuilt DAC sounds.

Thanks for the info regarding connection topologies.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Theo said:
davedotco said:
Theo said:
davedotco said:

I have a slimdevices/logitech transporter as source, also a NAD M51 which I might sell-on depending on how good inbuilt DAC sounds.

The M51 is a seriously nice bit of kit, in many ways it is the perfect partner for the smaller DM5s and gives you the flexibility of multiple (digital) inputs. Add a BK XLs400 sub and you have a very fine system with a degree of future proofing.

Of course you can use the M51 to drive the DM9/10s, but you have a degree of overkill in that you have a pre-amp in the M51 driving into a pre-amp in the speakers, should work fine though it offends me by it's over complexity.

But thats just me, I'm wierd like that.....*wacko*

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
Theo said:
davedotco said:
Theo said:
davedotco said:

The M51 is a seriously nice bit of kit, in many ways it is the perfect partner for the smaller DM5s and gives you the flexibility of multiple (digital) inputs. Add a BK XLs400 sub and you have a very fine system with a degree of future proofing.

Of course you can use the M51 to drive the DM9/10s, but you have a degree of overkill in that you have a pre-amp in the M51 driving into a pre-amp in the speakers, should work fine though it offends me by it's over complexity.

I use a Beresford with my desktop ADM9s. Unnecessary, but I get more inputs and more importantly, I get a physical volume knob. Sounds identical.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
fr0g said:
davedotco said:
Theo said:
davedotco said:
Theo said:
davedotco said:

I use a Beresford with my desktop ADM9s. Unnecessary, but I get more inputs and more importantly, I get a physical volume knob. Sounds identical.

That's a good point, I assume the M51 has a digital readout of level, I like that.

Do you have a Caiman, Frog? Mmmmm, Frogs and lizards, might get confusing.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:

fr0g ...

mqdefault.jpg

Caiman...

spectacled-caiman.jpg

Not confusing.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
fr0g said:
davedotco said:
Theo said:
davedotco said:
Theo said:
davedotco said:

That's a good point, I assume the M51 has a digital readout of level, I like that.

lol, no, I have one of the original 7510 and a 7520.

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Theo said:
I've been considering going active with AVI DM 10s and would be very grateful if those who have already gone with AVI could comment. I am a registered member of the AVI forums but don't (yet) have permission to post questions.

1. It seems the new DM10s only accept unbalanced inputs and my living room setup will require a cable of around 5m between speakers, would this result in audible interference?

2. Can someone recommend a good value high quality noise immune rca cable of about 5m in length.

4. Anyone who went from PMC to AVI recently? Would be interesting to know your thoughts.

5. I note the DM10s support sub out, what is the recommended sub when AVI subs are no longer available?

6. Can someone comment about DM5 or DM10s low volume listening performance? Or do they need to be driven loud?

7. Anyone listening to Solo Piano, Vocal Jazz or Percussion music, how would you rate DM5 or DM10s midrange detail ?

8. How does the DSP control settings done, I didn't see any knobs on DM10 rear panels?

Let me know if you have any comments related to these questions or any other aspect of AVI speakers, the fact that I cannot simply walk into a dealership an audition a pair means I will be depending on your feedback heavily.

Hi Theo,

I can help you with point 5,6 and 7 as I heard the original Avi adm9.

5. In my experience the avi's sound very clear in the highs and mids with the mids somewhat recessed and the highs somewhat pronounced. The bass was imo not present. With the sub there was plenty of bass, although It did not integrate well with the mids imo. The clarity of the mids was just gone and I could not find a balance between adm9 and avi sub that I was happy with. Compared with the natural, easy going sound of the pmc's you now have, I'm not sure you will exchange them for the Avi's. I wouldn't.

6. The adm9 thrives on volume and low level listening is just not their forte.

7. In my experience classical music and solo jazz is the adm9s strongest point. They are very dynamic and clear, which suits well recorded classical and solo performance best.

All above is just my opinion and I'm well aware that others might love them for the strenghts that they have. The Dm10 are probably an inprovement on what I heard but I would assume their house sound is comparable to the original adm9. In any case I would definately recommend you to listen to them first before buying as I find you either love or hate them. There are probably people on the Avi forum that would love to let you hear their speakers.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Superaintit said:
Theo said:

Hi Theo,

I can help you with point 5,6 and 7 as I heard the original Avi adm9.

5. In my experience the avi's sound very clear in the highs and mids with the mids somewhat recessed and the highs somewhat pronounced. The bass was imo not present. With the sub there was plenty of bass, although It did not integrate well with the mids imo. The clarity of the mids was just gone and I could not find a balance between adm9 and avi sub that I was happy with. Compared with the natural, easy going sound of the pmc's you now have, I'm not sure you will exchange them for the Avi's. I wouldn't.

6. The adm9 thrives on volume and low level listening is just not their forte.

7. In my experience classical music and solo jazz is the adm9s strongest point. They are very dynamic and clear, which suits well recorded classical and solo performance best.

All above is just my opinion and I'm well aware that others might love them for the strenghts that they have. The Dm10 are probably an inprovement on what I heard but I would assume their house sound is comparable to the original adm9. In any case I would definately recommend you to listen to them first before buying as I find you either love or hate them. There are probably people on the Avi forum that would love to let you hear their speakers.

I can't agree with point 6. I often listen low at night. Still sound great. Although I do use a sub on both my sets (one Avi sub, one BK XLSS400)

Theo

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks folks, I am beginning to get a better picture the pros and cons of AVI speakers. At the asking price it should not be too much of a risk as I assume it will be easy to sell-on if it doesn't work.

Selecting a good sub is critical I think, I need to feel the bottom-end impact at low volumes but I have been so out of touch with home theatre related audio that I am not familiar with what the best subs are and how well they will complement the AVI DM10s. I really don't want to end up with a system that sounds like Bose where there is this big disconnect between bottom-end and the rest of the spectrum and where low notes are deep and impactful but with absolutely no character.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
A lot will depend on what you want and expect from the bass end of your system.

To my mind late model ADM9s and, presumeably DM10s too, do not really need a sub for most music. They may roll off gently below 100hz when measured in free space but in a normal setup, room gain will maintain output down to about 50hz.

It depends a lot on what you play, large scale orchestra music sounds more 'solid' with a sub and some electronic music may need the extension but otherwise effects are minimal. If I was going down this route I would try them without a sub, use maybe a touch of eq at the lowest frequencies and start from there.

However, you need to understand that this view comes from someone who considers the bass response of most budget and mid priced hi-fi speakers to be so bloated and exaggerared to suit modern tastes as to be virtually unlistenable.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
A lot will depend on what you want and expect from the bass end of your system.

To my mind late model ADM9s and, presumeably DM10s too, do not really need a sub for most music. They may roll off gently below 100hz when measured in free space but in a normal setup, room gain will maintain output down to about 50hz.

It depends a lot on what you play, large scale orchestra music sounds more 'solid' with a sub and some electronic music may need the extension but otherwise effects are minimal. If I was going down this route I would try them without a sub, use maybe a touch of eq at the lowest frequencies and start from there.

However, you need to understand that this view comes from someone who considers the bass response of most budget and mid priced hi-fi speakers to be so bloated and exaggerared to suit modern tastes as to be virtually unlistenable.

Definitely depends on the music.

For much vocal pop, rock , folk, the sub is not necessary.

For electronica it's a must.

Classical I listen to rarely, but as I have a thing for film soundtracks, it also makes the sub essential.

However, if funds are tight the BK XXLS 400 fits the bill perfectly, blends really well and goes really deep, deep and with enough punch to feel it stirring your stomach.

The Avi sub adds a touch of tightness over the BK and IMO a touch more poise with music.

For films I would take the BK. For only music, the Avi.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Theo said:
Thanks for the feedback. I will checkout the subs you mention - main requirement is for very accurate and detailed lows basically I currently have a pair of PMC PB1is but want to downgrade size wise so I am not really looking for thundering bass but rather well defined, articulate lows.

Theo said:
Thanks folks, I am beginning to get a better picture the pros and cons of AVI speakers. At the asking price it should not be too much of a risk as I assume it will be easy to sell-on if it doesn't work.

Selecting a good sub is critical I think, I need to feel the bottom-end impact at low volumes but I have been so out of touch with home theatre related audio that I am not familiar with what the best subs are and how well they will complement the AVI DM10s. I really don't want to end up with a system that sounds like Bose where there is this big disconnect between bottom-end and the rest of the spectrum and where low notes are deep and impactful but with absolutely no character.

Theo, you seem to have contradictory requirements.

It's all down to the physics of producing low frequency musical signals.

You want to downsize from the PBC1i's, but you need bass with physical impact at low volumes and you want good quality bass.

I'm sorry but that is highly unlikely to happen with smaller speakers than the PB1i's.

The only speakers that I know of that will give you the bass quantity and quality that you want (and deserve), are bigger than the PB1i's.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Theo said:

Theo said:

Theo, you seem to have contradictory requirements.

It's all down to the physics of producing low frequency musical signals.

You want to downsize from the PBC1i's, but you need bass with physical impact at low volumes and you want good quality bass.

I'm sorry but that is highly unlikely to happen with smaller speakers than the PB1i's.

The only speakers that I know of that will give you the bass quantity and quality that you want (and deserve), are bigger than the PB1i's.

Or extremely good speakers, such as the Avis, and a good sub.

Pretty simple. You do not have to buy monstrosities to enjoy good bass.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Fr0g, how many times do I have to tell you this before it sinks in?

AVI's are not extremely good speakers. They are flat, boring and unmusical. They suffer from poor transient response in the ported region. They suffer somewhat from compression at more generous volumes. They suffer from doppler effects at louder volumes. They have a frequency response that falls sharply below 100hz. The 10" AVI sub shared between 2 channels is not a particularly satisfactory solution to this. And you're stuck with solid state amplification for the midrange, which some people may like and some people won't.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Fr0g, how many times do I have to tell you this before it sinks in?

AVI's are not extremely good speakers. They are flat, boring and unmusical. They suffer from poor transient response in the ported region. They suffer somewhat from compression at more generous volumes. They suffer from doppler effects at louder volumes. They have a frequency response that falls sharply below 100hz. The 10" AVI sub shared between 2 channels is not a particularly satisfactory solution to this. And you're stuck with solid state amplification for the midrange, which some people may like and some people won't.

Utter nonsense.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Some of my comments about the AVI speakers are measurable.

It's utter nonsense for you to disagree with them.

And are you seriously saying that it's utter nonsense to say that some people like their midrange to be amplified with solid state, whilst others prefer it to be done with valves? Or are you saying that the AVI speakers now come with the option of valve amplification for the midrange?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts