Question What's your next HiFi purchase?

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Reactions: Gray

Gray

Yes, demand could easily take the price the wrong way.
It was Amazon's own discount codes that got me good deals on a cartridge and a headphone amp.....but I'm never in a hurry for anything - wouldn't be surprised if mark 2 Ultra is out before I make any move.

But nobody can moan about the full price of this thing when you look at what it can do, when compared with the closest alternatives.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jasonovich

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I can wait.
They'll sell all they can make of these, even at £339, but if it does drop below the psychological £300 barrier - loads more punters will pile in (and I can see myself being one of them).
No rush Gray. Wait for the firmware updates, bound to be some bugs in first wave of Ultra streamers 😊

Reactions: Gray

DCarmi

Wait for the firmware updates, bound to be some bugs in first wave of Ultra streamers
This is very true, but I am impressed with how proactive WiiM are. If you look at the release notes for the existing systems they are frequent and seamless. I've had a Mini for over a year and a Pro for a bit less and don't recollect ever having problem with either.

Gray

I'm contemplating a pair of Wharfedale Super Denton speakers in Walnut.
Maybe.
I like the look of those.
Possibly the smallest 3-way there is?

As featured on the cover of the latest HFC:

Best not to believe too much of what they write though - as, in the text below the mag cover, they call it a 'standpoint' rather than a standmount :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Matt just bought some 2nd hand Ruark MR1 speakers. I’m undecided about giving them to my little brother, or buy a WiiM Pro Plus for that little bedroom system I was toying about with a few months back. Will test with my WiiM mini & see how I feel about having a 3rd stereo setup in a 2 room flat 😂

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
This is very true, but I am impressed with how proactive WiiM are. If you look at the release notes for the existing systems they are frequent and seamless. I've had a Mini for over a year and a Pro for a bit less and don't recollect ever having problem with either.
Very true, my WiiM, Pro Plus is seamless, it just works out of the box.

Reactions: Revolutions

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Some De-oxit for my old pioneer a400 selector knob.

I'm getting sporadic channel drift until the knob is touched ever so slightly (only on the CD selection)

It doesn't matter what I purchase I always seem to listen to it in one hifi or another.

I've even felt like I was cheating on the old girl when updating my main hifi so treated it to some new banana plugs instead of bare wire connections 😂

Now it's (she's) got the QA 3050i hooked up as the recent fynes replaced them in the main set up and it sounds predictably good.
I sometimes wonder which hifi I prefer the sound of tbh yikes 😳

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
My Graham Slee Accession MM loan arrived. Really impressed.

The phono preamp on the Elicit sounds great, yet a few quick a/b tests with the Accession gives so much more: the bass is more focused; somewhat less flabby, the stereo image is more enveloping; definitely more subtlety with instruments in the mix that aren’t hard faded left or right & mids/treble sound more 3D (that’s a ridiculous term if ever there was one 😂), and there’s a lots more detail in the mix; lovely little touches details appear like an oboe buried in a track by the Band or acoustic strumming & drum hits on the new Kacey Musgraves record.

Not necessary, but hugely enjoyable. This might be an expensive experiment 🤦‍♂️

Going to take a break & come back to some albums using the Elicit built-in phono later. Be interesting to try and properly listen if anything seems lacking (beyond just my head telling me the Accession is better).

IMG-4159.jpg

Last edited:

gasolin

I had a listen to the little mission not long ago.
Very nice, a little underpowered (depending on what your using for) but I enjoyed it.

Not at all with late 80's db sensitive speakers for nearfield, mine was 443 euro bought in Denmark

Fantastic buy, value for money is next level since it use to cost £549 in uk which is 645 euros

Sound is better than a Cambridge audio cxa 60 (better bass) and value for money is so high at 443 euros i don't know if theres any amp for under 1000 euros that is noticeable better sounding, not just more powerful

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Not at all with late 80's db sensitive speakers for nearfield, mine was 443 euro bought in Denmark

Fantastic buy, value for money is next level since it use to cost £549 in uk which is 645 euros

Sound is better than a Cambridge audio cxa 60 (better bass) and value for money is so high at 443 euros i don't know if theres any amp for under 1000 euros that is noticeable better sounding, not just more powerful
Yeah it's enough for nearfield audio and even most other applications.

I heard it out of spec with large floorstanders in a large room but even then I enjoyed it's sound.
I've always liked the older mission amps too, having an much older Cyrus 2 yrs ago and loved it.
It's even compared to the rega brio of today.

I've never heard the Cambridge audio cx60 to compare with only the axr100 which I found very warm and quite nice.

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
That's a pretty cool feature, so if you switch it to American, it get's noisy and loud and if you push the switch up further you get British, I'm hearing Dam Busters and would you like jam and cream with your muffins Sir?
Shame it doesn't have Jamaica switch, ya Man, what'ya smoking? hahaha :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 6730
I do find you funny at times jasonovich

"I'm hearing Dam Busters and would you like jam and cream with your muffins Sir?"

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts