AVI DM5 and DM10

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
Ok so I've picked the 9.1RS's up and they are very good. Very well made and finished. Very acurate with a very focused soundstage. For the price they are very good. But my setup is better I'm running my IPL S2TLK's in at the moment, they obviously have more bass and sound more rounded but I'm biased!

Exellent news! I'm glad to hear you're pleased with them.

I thought that you'd bought some of the older ADM9T versions not the newer RS ones though. How much did you pay for them in the end?

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Steve, psycho acoustic effects of speakers that filter out the sound below 100hz.

When those frequencies are filtered out, it leaves the mind free to focus on what's left. The psycho acoustic effect is increased midrange and treble clarity.

This is true. I've read about it and also experienced it first hand with my DM5 / subwoofer system. As you know I run the DM5's full range all the time and use the sub to add just a tiny bit of extra bass at the bottom end. When setup right the mid/treble stays just as clear and the sub adds a bit of extra 'weight' but if I turn the sub up too high the midrange starts to get a bit muddied even though the signal to the DM5's is unchanged.

lindsayt said:
The other psycho acoustic effect is that rock and pop recordings will tend to sound uninvolving / flat / lacking in punch and drive.

I can't say that I've ever noticed that. Obviously it sounds better with a bit more weight and punch to the bass but then so does all music.

Theo said:
An update after nearly 1 year of owning AVI DM10 speakers which I got a couple of days after creating this thread on WHF. Leading upto this, my previous speakers have been Linn Majik 140s Passive & Active, B&W 802N, Magnepan 1.7, PMC Twenty 24 & PMC PB1i Sigs out of which PB1is were my favourite. I especially liked its clarity across the range and bottom-end extension & detail.

The AVI setup I have now consists of a transporter streamer feeding AVIs through optical SPDIF and a bk xxls400 sub fed via anti-mode 8033 s2 so much less box-count as I sold my Monoblocks & Pre. I would describe the outcome as follows:

* The top-end extension is the best I have heard and high's are so controlled and sound so precise. Yes I now understand what "controlled" highs sound like - its not about being sweet or warm.

* Mids are clearer than the clearest I have heard, there is no comparison other speakers I have heard and I do visit audio shows regularly. We are talking about a different league of clarity here really.

* The combination of DM10, anti-mode & Sub provides an extended, very precise, very fast and controlled low-end. By far the best I have heard in my room.

* Soundstage & Imaging - if I could quantify it, would say several orders better than what I had heard before - a three dimentional picture like no other I had encountered

Can go on and on but it is sufficient to say that my hifi journey of exploration may have come to an end - not because I think this is the best there is, but because after many years of swapping/upgrading one with the other, I have finally begun to enjoy what I listen to 100%.

Finally, I would like to thank everyone here who guided me to take the plunge with AVI.
That's quite a recommendation considering the pedigree of your previous speakers. AVI aren't far from me, so I must scratch that itch some time!

Theo

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
An update after nearly 1 year of owning AVI DM10 speakers which I got a couple of days after creating this thread on WHF. Leading upto this, my previous speakers have been Linn Majik 140s Passive & Active, B&W 802N, Magnepan 1.7, PMC Twenty 24 & PMC PB1i Sigs out of which PB1is were my favourite. I especially liked its clarity across the range and bottom-end extension & detail.

The AVI setup I have now consists of a transporter streamer feeding AVIs through optical SPDIF and a bk xxls400 sub fed via anti-mode 8033 s2 so much less box-count as I sold my Monoblocks & Pre. I would describe the outcome as follows:

* The top-end extension is the best I have heard and high's are so controlled and sound so precise. Yes I now understand what "controlled" highs sound like - its not about being sweet or warm.

* Mids are clearer than the clearest I have heard, there is no comparison other speakers I have heard and I do visit audio shows regularly. We are talking about a different league of clarity here really.

* The combination of DM10, anti-mode & Sub provides an extended, very precise, very fast and controlled low-end. By far the best I have heard in my room.

* Soundstage & Imaging - if I could quantify it, would say several orders better than what I had heard before - a three dimentional picture like no other I had encountered

Can go on and on but it is sufficient to say that my hifi journey of exploration may have come to an end - not that I think this is the best there is, but because after many years of swapping/upgrading one with the other, I have finally begun to enjoy what I listen to 100%.

Finally, I would like to thank everyone here who guided me to take the plunge with AVI.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts