DAC to PC USB and DAC to Amp RCA Cable Lengths

leeboh

Jul 26, 2022
Visit site
Hi All,

Having a bit of a mare trying to setup my office with my 2.1 HiFi system due to the layout of the room and the cables I will need to run, could really use your wisdom.

In essence, neither my amplifier or computer will be sat near to my DAC. The DAC will be sat on my desk so I can connect my headphones by 3.5mm jack.

I've attached an image of the layout to highlight the issue/challenge I have.

My questions are this:

1. Will a 5m RCA cable from my DAC to the Amplifier cause any level of quality loss?

2. Are there certain types or features of RCA cables that could help minimise quality loss or inteference?

3. Will a 4m USB 2.0 cable from my DAC to the PC cause any level of quality loss?

4. Are there certain types or features of USB cables that could help minimise quality loss or inteference?

5. Will a combination of these 2 long cable runs cause any level of quality loss?

Hardware (if relevant):
Roksan K3 Amplifier
ifi Zen DAC V2
Focal Aria 906 Speakers
REL T5i Subwoofer

TIA

Attachments

• OfficeLayout.PNG
    OfficeLayout.PNG
    57.4 KB · Views: 6

Friesiansam

3. Will a 4m USB 2.0 cable from my DAC to the PC cause any level of quality loss?

4. Are there certain types or features of USB cables that could help minimise quality loss or inteference?
Just buy a decent quality cable with gold plated contacts, don't over-spend. I bought a QED Performance USB Graphite for my headphone amp but, to be honest even that is better than you really need. Do be sure to buy USB 2.0 because you require 4 metres and it's upper length limit is 5 metres, whereas USB 1 or 1.1 is limited to 3 metres, USB 3.x specification has no fixed upper limit but, ideally should no be more than 3 metres. However a USB 3.x cable should be backwards compatible.

EDIT, can't comment on long RCA cables.

Reactions: leeboh

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
I think you'll have more luck with the longer rca cable as opposed to the 4 metre USB cable, USB in certain forms is only good for a couple of metre runs I believe, I use a USB extender via rj45 ( ethernet) cable for a 5 + metre run although it's purpose isn't for music listening.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears and leeboh

Symples

Aug 12, 2021
Visit site
If you are going to run any cable over say 1m of length. Then not only buy a quality cable, but buy a quality shielded cable.

The longer the cable length. The more susceptible is will to noise/interference.

leeboh

Jul 26, 2022
Visit site
Thanks all for your input so far, helping me to feel a bit more confident, if not ideal at those lengths, seems like it is doable.

In terms of the Van Damme 5 meter RCA cables, I'm guessing the below would be appropriate for my circumstance. It specifies they are for subwoofer's, but not sure how they'd differ..?

www.energizeav.co.uk

Gold Plated RCA to RCA Custom Van Damme Audio Cable For Sub Woofer
Van Damme Pro OFC Custom Audiophile Grade Gold Rca Phono Sub Cable By Energize Audio! ▪︎Custom Hand Built. ▪︎Super Signal Transfer & Performance Without Signal Loss ▪︎Terminated with High Quality Gold Plated Rca’s. ▪︎Made to High Standards And Fully Tested Before Dispatching. All Cables Are...
www.energizeav.co.uk

Still hunting for a decent 4m USB 2.0 cable, should this be gold plated as well?

Thanks all for your input so far, helping me to feel a bit more confident, if not ideal at those lengths, seems like it is doable.

In terms of the Van Damme 5 meter RCA cables, I'm guessing the below would be appropriate for my circumstance. It specifies they are for subwoofer's, but not sure how they'd differ..?

www.energizeav.co.uk

Van Damme Pro OFC Custom Audiophile Grade Gold Rca Phono Sub Cable By Energize Audio! ▪︎Custom Hand Built. ▪︎Super Signal Transfer & Performance Without Signal Loss ▪︎Terminated with High Quality Gold Plated Rca’s. ▪︎Made to High Standards And Fully Tested Before Dispatching. All Cables Are...
www.energizeav.co.uk

Still hunting for a decent 4m USB 2.0 cable, should this be gold plated as well?
doesn't the Zen DAC v2 require a USB 3 cable??

idc

Hi All,

Having a bit of a mare trying to setup my office with my 2.1 HiFi system due to the layout of the room and the cables I will need to run, could really use your wisdom.

In essence, neither my amplifier or computer will be sat near to my DAC. The DAC will be sat on my desk so I can connect my headphones by 3.5mm jack.

I've attached an image of the layout to highlight the issue/challenge I have.

My questions are this:

1. Will a 5m RCA cable from my DAC to the Amplifier cause any level of quality loss?

2. Are there certain types or features of RCA cables that could help minimise quality loss or inteference?

5. Will a combination of these 2 long cable runs cause any level of quality loss?

1. No, you need 10s, if not in 100s of meters before you need to worry.
2. No, any cable made to a decent safe standard will be fine.
3. No, again you need far longer runs before there is likely to be any issues. Think of the lengths of cables used in commercial applications, such as sound studios.
4. No, so long it made to the industry standards, it will be fine.
5. No. Again, think of the length of cabling in the studio your music was recorded in. That worked fine.

www.energizeav.co.uk

www.energizeav.co.uk

Looks ok. I’ve used this company several times, and you can get a choice of colours and exactly 4m if you wish. You’re presumably running stereo so will need a pair.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts