ATC SCM40

bazs

May 19, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I'd like to buy new loudspeakers and sell my present Quadral Aurum Altan VIII monitor. A 3 way floorstander would be the goal.

I have heard the ATC SCM20A and thought that the SCM40 v1 would be good, but many people write about its tweeter's relatively weeker quality (compared to its mid or bass driver). After the Aurum's ribbon tweeter, I maybe sensitive a bit to the harsh treble that's why I ask for some advice.

I managed to listen to a Focal Electra 1008be, but its treble was too rounded to me. I write it just because I was thinking in an electra 1028be too, which has the same tweeter...

Nowadays I listen to Dire Straits mostly, but I like jazz and classical music too.

If anyone has listened to the SCM40 or the 1028be, any info would be greatly appreciated.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi bazs I have a pair of the original ATC SCM 40s and I am at this moment listening to the Ladder - Yes and all I can say is Wow I just love them I think you should if you can listen to a pair the new SCM40s are supposed to be even better the more power you give them the better, the sound stage is awsome solid deep bass the mid range is seamless the treble is spot on not harsh I think a listen is required as I dont write equipment reviews and reading this you will understand why

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
You would really struggle to beat the SCM 40 in their price range. A very, very, very, very similar 75mm soft domed midrange driver doesn't make an appearance in PMC's SE range until you are well North of £10K RRP. For me the great ATC's are all about that particular driver.

You should always try before you buy but especially when £K's are involved. At that price level you gotta try 'em before you buy 'em dude.

bazs

May 19, 2015
Visit site
Thank you

Yes, listening would be the best, but unfortunately I don't know anybody who has an SCM40 v1...

Even the dealer has only SCM20A, the next one there is the SCM150, and the new version has the new tweeter..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts