Arcam rPac, HRT Microstreamer, Audioengine D1 - thinking about dipping my toes into the DAC water!

andy_holl

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
Having sold my squeezebox duet a while ago I'm now without a decent solution for listening to my music. I have CD's but never listen to them anymore, just in the process or re-ripping them to FLAC - previously MP3 at various bit rates. I'm also a heavy spotify user so it's computer based audio all the way.

I've considered sonos but I'm not convinced it's worth the money (also waiting to see if bluesound comes out over here and if it's any good).

We also have a 7 month old in the house so there not much chance to listen to music loud which has made me think about getting a reasonable set of headphones and a DAC/Headphone amp.

As I'll be playing music through an AV Reciever and Style Speakers the rest of the time (Onkyo TX-SR 608 & KEF 2005.3) it seems silly spending more on a DAC - much as I love the look of the M-DAC.

Current favourite is the rPac and some AKG 550's as they can be had for £119 and £138 respectively. Does anyone have this setup and are they happy. I mentioned the Audio Engine D1 and HRT MicroStreamer as I like the look of them and they seem to get good reviews elsewhere.

Any alternatives (for DAC and or headphones) welcome - budget around £400.

Also feel free to try and turn me to Sonos or a different solution if you have been through the same dilema!!!

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Cheapest options are soundcard like Xonar DG Audio Center, which you will need to fit into your computer, which is about £25 or a Behringer UCA202 also £25. For headphones I think the soundcard is better than the Behringer.

ReValveiT

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
If you can go the soundcard route I would hugely recommend the Asus Xonar DS at about £35.

It sounds better than the budget DACs I've tried... And even tops the Arcam rDac IMO.

you could also try the Asus Xonar ST at around £100 second hand. Haven't tried it but supposed to be superb.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts