ANDROID BIT PERFECT?

ScubaCollie

Dec 4, 2020
Visit site
Hi All, I have a Galaxy S23 Ultra and using it to stream music from Amazon Prime HD, using the USB Out Port of the phone to a SMSL USB-OPTICAL Converter and then via Optical to my Audison DSP/Amp in my car and then to my Audison 3 way active speaker system.

As I'm using optical all the way to my Audison DSP, the only DAC being used is inside that Dsp?

Therefore my question is, I understand Android can't output Bit Perfect audio? However is this issue only when it's using the DAC inside the phone and therefore outputting analogue in non bit perfect form to headphones?

Or is the signal I'm transferring to my Audison DSP also not bit perfect?

I'm thinking of purchasing the FIIO M11 Plus to enable me to output straight from that device via Optical Coaxial into the Audison C20 Coaxial to Optical converter and then to the Audison DSP, however it I'm already getting Bit perfect from the phones Usb/digital output then it won't be worth the cost.

Any advice please?

DCarmi

Android 14 has a BIT_PERFECT mode, if supported by an app. Otherwise look at USB Audio Player Pro, which has its own USB driver to allow it to be bit perfect. I've no experience of that app myself.

The Tidal app claims to be capable of bit perfect playback. I don't the Amazon app supports it, yet.

Vincent Kars

Like all operating systems, Android has a default sample rate (48 kHz). As this is the audio engine, this is what is send to the DAC, be in onboard or USB.
As DCarmi already pointed out, there are media players bypassing the Android audio stack and as a consequence are able to play the audio at its native sample rate.
Players doing so can be found here

DCarmi

Like all operating systems, Android has a default sample rate (48 kHz).
According to developer.android.com starting from API level 34 (Android 14)
<quote>

Constants​

MIXER_BEHAVIOR_BIT_PERFECT​

Added in API level 34

public static final int MIXER_BEHAVIOR_BIT_PERFECT
Constant indicating the audio mixer behavior is bit-perfect, which indicates there will not be mixing happen, the audio data will be sent as is down to the HAL.

<end quote>

As I understand things, if an app implements this feature, then should bypass the mixer and just shove the bits unhindered down the USB port.

You'd need an app that supports this feature or you need an app that has implemented its own method of doing it. ScubaCollie should have Android 14 available, if not installed.

Whether Amazon will implement the feature in the near future is a different question.

ScubaCollie

Dec 4, 2020
Visit site
Thanks all for your replies.

I confirm I am running Android 14 from my phone.

My DSP/Amp is the Audison Prima Forza AP 8.9. It accepts up to 24 bit/48 khz.

My SMSL USB to SPDIF converter supports 32 bit/768 khz.

I am running Amazon Music 'Unlimited' and it shows the Track Quality as Ultra HD 24 bit/44.1 khz , Device 24 bit/44.1 kHz, Output 24 bit/44.1 khz

I don't believe any players support Amazon Music to output bit perfect, therefore is my only option to switch to Tidal?

Will I hear the difference?

To give you an idea, I'm quite critical about Music quality, so much so that my SMSL PO100 USB to SPDIF converter only came with a very short USB cable, and I therefore linked up a longer cable, and I could hear a distinct difference i sound quality, it lost its edge/sparkle, when i put the very short cable back in it got its sparkle back.

After which I googled and found a report and measurements performed on different quality usb cables, which didn't affect things, but when they looked at different lengths, it did....what I was witnessing wasn't therefore my imagination, as I could hear the difference before I went looking for an article on it.

Is there anything I can do to ensure I get THE best quality out of my sysyem? As I've spent months tuning the DSP and I'm now at a stage whereby I'm really happy with the sound quality, however I want to ensure I'm feeding it with THE best quality signal and music?

RobSys

Jul 22, 2022
Visit site
Therefore my question is, I understand Android can't output Bit Perfect audio? However is this issue only when it's using the DAC inside the phone and therefore outputting analogue in non bit perfect form to headphones?
An Android music app "Neutron Pro" (not free but reasonably priced...) has an option to for bit perfect output (amongst many other options...) I've been using it for years on my DAP's...

daveh75

Is there anything I can do to ensure I get THE best quality out of my sysyem? As I've spent months tuning the DSP and I'm now at a stage whereby I'm really happy with the sound quality, however I want to ensure I'm feeding it with THE best quality signal and music?

There's little point obsessing over bit perfectness when you've used DSP to tune SQ to your liking

ScubaCollie

Dec 4, 2020
Visit site
There's little point obsessing over bit perfectness when you've used DSP to tune SQ to your liking
I kind of understand what you're saying, however in a car environment it needs tuning. I've tuned as per Jazzi House Curve and not 'to my liking' although that house curve tune IS to my liking.

DCarmi

therefore is my only option to switch to Tidal?
I'm sure you can get a free trial of Tidal to see if it is an improvement in sound quality and user experience. I've never used Tidal but I think its Masters level is 24bit/96Hz.

Otherwise wait and see if Amazon update their app to support the MIXER_BEHAVIOR_BIT_PERFECT option.

Alternatively look at some of the apps mentioned to see if they can assist you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts