Anyone like Queen?

Joe Cox

Content Director, What Hi-Fi?
Staff member
May 31, 2007
Visit site
New vinyl box set and a 'Queen by Rega' turntable, which looks pretty cool. Not sure about the coloured vinyl but at least they address the audio quality.

queenstudiocollectionvinyl.jpg

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

thescarletpronster said:
Joe Cox said:
Anyone like Queen?

No. No one likes Queen.

If only that was true. I was working in Our Price when Mr Mercury kicked the bucket, and I can assure you, we hardly ever sold a CD before he died, then suddenly, everyone's a fan.

I truly dislike them, especially the 80s stuff, though I'd struggle to find a track I liked from any period. I also can't forgive them for playing Sun City, and I'll never understand how they were allowed to play at Nelson Mandella's birthday bash years later. Brian May has had the same haircut and same awful guitar sound throughout their career, some of the live singing was at best, out of key, and at worst, truly grating. At least John Deacon had the decency to leave before they really started to scrape the barrel.

Rant over.*biggrin*

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
You'd have got your head kicked in for liking Queen where I grew up in the 1970s. So, no, I didn't like them.

I was only just 12 when Bohemian Rhapsody came out and it would have been a matter of survival rather than musical taste (even if i'd really had any idea who they were :) )

Older lads were expected to be skins or 'grebos'. Not 'fa##ing 'ippies'.

D

Deleted member 2457

I like and dislike some of their songs. I have never bought any of their songs though and doubt I ever will.

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
I got dragged along to the Hammersmith Odeon to see Queen in about 197x something by my old friend Martin (hi Martin) against my better judgement. Still one of the best concerts I've ever been to! But I still think some of the music is very questionable especially their 'disco' period.

Petherick said:
I got dragged along to the Hammersmith Odeon to see Queen in about 197x something by my old friend Martin (hi Martin) against my better judgement. Still one of the best concerts I've ever been to! But I still think some of the music is very questionable especially their 'disco' period.

Quite agree, and in my collection there is only one album. That is 'A Night at the Opera' which I still listen to occasionally.

chebby said:
You'd have got your head kicked in for liking Queen where I grew up in the 1970s. So, no, I didn't like them.

I was only just 12 when Bohemian Rhapsody came out and it would have been a matter of survival rather than musical taste (even if i'd really had any idea who they were :) )

Older lads were expected to be skins or 'grebos'. Not 'fa##ing 'ippies'.

Yup, the same year my bro dragged me off to a Dr. Feelgood gig. After that could never show my Rainbow albums in public again.

Like you, Queen weren't my bag.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'm no Queen fan, never have been, but I do appreciate a voice when I hear one - I don't think any singer has ever done any justice to any Queen song ever, there just is no comparison.

I still think Brian May's guitar solos sound like two cats having it off.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
[speaks in small voice]

I actually don't mind some Queen songs. I had the greatest hits LP when I was 13 and liked it. Another One Bites the Dust is an utter rip-off of Good Times, though - as are so very many other songs.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
thescarletpronster said:
Another One Bites the Dust is an utter rip-off of Good Times, though

"Well, that Queen record came about because that bass player... spent some time hanging out with us at our studio" – Bernard Edwards

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Big fan. `A Night at the Opera` is in my top 10 favourite albums of all time. And yes, that`s the one with `Bohemian Rhapsody` on it. Well how`s this, you could take `Bohemian Rhapsody` off the album and it would still be in my top 10.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
If only that was true. I was working in Our Price when Mr Mercury kicked the bucket, and I can assure you, we hardly ever sold a CD before he died, then suddenly, everyone's a fan.

Hardly a unique occurrence. In 1977 there was very little interest in Elvis Presley`s `Way Down` single until he died. Very soon afterwards it was number one.

Doesn`t mean the singer wasn`t successful or well thought of.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Joe Cox, or anyone else, have you compared this new box set against the original vinyl albums?

There's scope to improve on the mastering of the original albums, but with re-issues you never know for sure if they will sound better or not.

I like Queen. For rock opera type music I strongly prefer them to Meatloaf.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts