Small warps causing vinyl to skip

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
It needs setting low, as Rega antiskate is too strong. Sounds like you might need a new stylus.

Does it skip forwards or back? Ime it shouldn’t skip at all, as a properly set up arm and cartridge that match each other will simply ride the warp. Skipping spells a problem!
what do you mean by" Rega anti-skating is too strong"?

could you explain better what you meant saying? because i thought it was strong as any other ,

only the type but Rega uses traditional simple anti-skating systems, that i know of, for the first time i bought a Rega turntable recentelly

what do you mean by" Rega anti-skating is too strong"?

could you explain better what you meant saying? because i thought it was strong as any other ,

only the type but Rega uses traditional simple anti-skating systems, that i know of, for the first time i bought a Rega turntable recentelly
I am pretty sure there is something lost in translation here and what @nopiano was referring to is the anti-skate setting on Rega turntables needs to be dialled in to a figure that is below what Rega would recommend because if you don't it tends to apply too much anti-skate correction.
On my old Planar 3 I had to use half the recommended setting.

Reactions: nopiano and DougK1
I am pretty sure there is something lost in translation here and what @nopiano was referring to is the anti-skate setting on Rega turntables needs to be dialled in to a figure that is below what Rega would recommend because if you don't it tends to apply too much anti-skate correction.
Yes, exactly. It’s widely reported and I found the same when setting the Rega arm on my TecnoDec. Quite audible on any test disc with ‘torture tracks’, as well as highly modulated recordings of voice, orchestras and pianos.

Reactions: DougK1 and Al ears

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
thank you for the explanation ,
i did bought recentelly a rega turntable but i normally put the anti-skating in what is considered the right amount as it relates with the weight on the arm ,but i work with turntables for a lot of years ,more like 35 years

I normally after putting a record to play i hear it and notice any imprfection in the sound and correct it by it´s sound not looking for the scale but to the sound on several parts of an lp side,

by listening to a record side that as more time of music as the grooves are closer to eachother one notices the adjustments to make in a anti-skating ,

also because i have old turntables (28) since late 60´s and one or two might not match the number said to be correct on the anti-skating, so by hear it´s the best, also knowing the album from front to back.

It´s not stronger but badly built(as it happened on plastic turntables from early 80´s, with a similar system ) not working as it should, that might happen on a heavy used turntables with almost 50 years or even more(normally more than 50 years), but in a Rega turntable?

i think they are not so old, only by the poor quality of construction where all mechanism is fitted in the same part, refering to the arm ,weight, anti-skating all in one piece.

the P10 seems not to have that problem or yet to start to be out of tune, only bought it early this year

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts