Small warps causing vinyl to skip

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Since getting the Rega P6 I've noticed that even small bumps are making the needle jump up to mid-way through the 1st track on albums. Never had this problem with my P2.

Is there anything I can do about this beyond making sure all my vinyl is completely flat?

Don't think the issue is with tracking weight, if anything it's probably set too heavy right now (just ordered a gauge to measure properly as there's no screw mechanism on this counterweight, so no way of estimating by number of turns like older Regas).

Since getting the Rega P6 I've noticed that even small bumps are making the needle jump up to mid-way through the 1st track on albums. Never had this problem with my P2.

Is there anything I can do about this beyond making sure all my vinyl is completely flat?

Don't think the issue is with tracking weight, if anything it's probably set too heavy right now (just ordered a gauge to measure properly as there's no screw mechanism on this counterweight, so no way of estimating by number of turns like older Regas).
Wait for your gauge to arrive before playing any more warped records is my suggestion.
What cartridge do you have fitted to the turntable?
Also make sure the anti -skate isn't set too high.
Unfortunately some setups are more susceptible to a warped disc as you are discovering.

Reactions: Revolutions

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Wait for your gauge to arrive before playing any more warped records is my suggestion.
What cartridge do you have fitted to the turntable?
Also make sure the anti -skate isn't set too high.
Unfortunately some setups are more susceptible to a warped disc as you are discovering.
It's an exact cartridge. Skate was actually set a little low at 1.5, not 1.75, so will re-test that in a moment.

Also just discovered that the cart is from 2016, so thinking about taking it to a local dealer for a look over. Might need to replace this one.

It's an exact cartridge. Skate was actually set a little low at 1.5, not 1.75, so will re-test that in a moment.

Also just discovered that the cart is from 2016, so thinking about taking it to a local dealer for a look over. Might need to replace this one.
It needs setting low, as Rega antiskate is too strong. Sounds like you might need a new stylus.

Does it skip forwards or back? Ime it shouldn’t skip at all, as a properly set up arm and cartridge that match each other will simply ride the warp. Skipping spells a problem!

Oxfordian

It needs setting low, as Rega antiskate is too strong. Sounds like you might need a new stylus.

Does it skip forwards or back? Ime it shouldn’t skip at all, as a properly set up arm and cartridge that match each other will simply ride the warp. Skipping spells a problem!
I have my P3/Elys2 running at around 1.75 on the difficult to judge AS scale, why should it be lower?

I have my P3/Elys2 running at around 1.75 on the difficult to judge AS scale, why should it be lower?
Rega are often way out on their anti skate mechanism as is a spring and not particularly accurate. Tension varies over time unlike the weight on a thread system.
If your settings work for you that's fine.
I always used to set mine to half that recommended when I had my old original Planar 3

camcroft

Rega are often way out on their anti skate mechanism as is a spring and not particularly accurate.
If your settings work for you that's fine.
I always used to set mine to half that recommended when I had my old original Planar 3
I agree. The guy who made my turntable which is fitted with a Rega arm set my AS to a very low setting and although I am tracking at 2 grams it works absolutely fine.

Reactions: nopiano and Al ears
I agree. The guy who made my turntable which is fitted with a Rega arm set my AS to a very low setting and although I am tracking at 2 grams it works absolutely fine.
I think mine used to be set at one....
This is possibly best unless you can hear any inner groove distortion towards the end of an LP. If so crank it up a tad.
Much will depend on cartridge fitted.

It is well known that Rega tend to overstate the antiskate force in their calibration. I thought we’d talked about that when you bought your Rega, but as long as the tracking is secure I wouldn’t worry. (My Rega arm is set on about half the recommended setting, checked with test disc)

The clue is this: if it mistracks on loud transients near the end of a side - where the modulations are most condensed - does it distort more in one channel or the other? If the antiskate is too strong it will mistrack on the left channel first. And the reverse.

PS. Mentioned here…
Post in thread 'Sound Distortion - Help Needed Please'
https://forums.whathifi.com/threads/sound-distortion-help-needed-please.130236/post-1310897

Last edited:

Oxfordian

It is well known that Rega tend to overstate the antiskate force in their calibration. I thought we’d talked about that when you bought your Rega, but as long as the tracking is secure I wouldn’t worry. (My Rega arm is set on about half the recommended setting, checked with test disc)

The clue is this: if it mistracks on loud transients near the end of a side - where the modulations are most condensed - does is distort more in one channel or the other? If the antiskate is too strong it will mistrack on the left channel first. And the reverse.

PS. Mentioned here…
Post in thread 'Sound Distortion - Help Needed Please'
https://forums.whathifi.com/threads/sound-distortion-help-needed-please.130236/post-1310897
You're right I think you have mentioned this before, total proof that my medication is causing me to lose it!!

:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: nopiano

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Got the weight gauge, was running a bit heavy so set it back to 1.75. Now the bumps make the needle jump backwards so any small warp means I have to start the record a little into track 1. Increased anti-skate to 1.75 & the needle stays in the same place when it skips.

Contacted a couple of dealers to see if I can take it in for a look at the setup & stylus. Bit annoying if I need to spend £300 on a new cartridge so soon after buying it. That’s the risk of buying a 2nd hand turntable I guess.

Reactions: Oxfordian
Got the weight gauge, was running a bit heavy so set it back to 1.75. Now the bumps make the needle jump backwards so any small warp means I have to start the record a little into track 1. Increased anti-skate to 1.75 & the needle stays in the same place when it skips.

Contacted a couple of dealers to see if I can take it in for a look at the setup & stylus. Bit annoying if I need to spend £300 on a new cartridge so soon after buying it. That’s the risk of buying a 2nd hand turntable I guess.
Unfortunately, unless it’s guaranteed low mileage from a dealer, you have to assume a used cartridge is knackered.

But the good news is there are several very good cartridges for much less than £300.

Oxfordian

£185 for a spare Stylus or £300 for a new cartridge. Great for the bottom line
At £185 isn't it a refurb cartridge rather than stylus?

This is from Rega's Elys 2 website page

REGA REBUILD SCHEME​

The unique pivot pad design of Rega cartridges improves performance by eliminating the mechanical joint between the stylus housing and the main body. This vastly improves tracking ability and stability of the stylus. If you should damage or wear your Rega cartridge, simply return it to you Rega dealer and they will supply you with a rebuild cartridge fitted with a new cantilever, stylus and pivot pad. Each rebuild is fully tested over two days as a new cartridge would be. The rebuild is sold at a reduced price once you trade in your worn or damaged cartridge that is equivalent to a replacement stylus offered by other manufacturers.

At £185 isn't it a refurb cartridge rather than stylus?

This is from Rega's Elys 2 website page

REGA REBUILD SCHEME​

The unique pivot pad design of Rega cartridges improves performance by eliminating the mechanical joint between the stylus housing and the main body. This vastly improves tracking ability and stability of the stylus. If you should damage or wear your Rega cartridge, simply return it to you Rega dealer and they will supply you with a rebuild cartridge fitted with a new cantilever, stylus and pivot pad. Each rebuild is fully tested over two days as a new cartridge would be. The rebuild is sold at a reduced price once you trade in your worn or damaged cartridge that is equivalent to a replacement stylus offered by other manufacturers.
I suspect it’s a brand new cartridge that you get, and meanwhile they unstick your old stylus, pop a new one in and glue it back!

As for: “This vastly improves tracking ability and stability of the stylus.” I find that a gross exaggeration given almost every other MM manufacturer, including Ortofon and Audio Technica who make millions of them, manage just fine with a replaceable stylus!

TRENDING THREADS