looking for a entry/mid range turn table.

Azulan

Sep 17, 2023
Visit site
Hello!

I'm still pretty new to vinyl even though i've been listening to vinyl for a couple of years, i just never took it seriously until now. currently i have an American Audio TTD-2400 which i understand is pretty bad. i got it as my first table as second hand. Now i want to increase my sound quality of the vinyl i've been collecting over the years without spending too much money.
My budget is max 300€$. and i've been looking at AudioTechnica LP60X and 120X. 120X is twise as expensive but i like the fact that it has a better cartridge out of the box and the possibility to upgrade. The only upside the LP60X has for me ignoring the price is it's automatic arm as it takes care of everything while i fall asleep listening to music. but quality is way more important than comfort.
At the moment i feel like i'm only going to buy 1 more turn table and go with it for as long as it survives.

Is the LP120X worth twise as much as the LP60X if so, is there another brand that could compete with the LP120X for the price?

Gray

Is the LP120X worth twise as much as the LP60X if so, is there another brand that could compete with the LP120X for the price?
Only you can really answer the first question.
I would say it is.

As for your second question, probably not for the price.
Before reading your post, I was reading a favourable (Hi-fi Choice) review of the Project Debut Carbon Evo.
What Hi-Fi also liked it, but, it's a fair bit above your budget.
It serves to make that 120X look like good value.
I actually bought a VM-95E cartridge myself, it's pretty good.
With that, you'll have the option to 'upgrade' to the ML stylus - but then that money might be more usefully put toward a 'better' turntable in the first place 🤔

Last edited:
Reactions: Azulan

Azulan

Sep 17, 2023
Visit site
i found 2 used technics tables. the SL- QD33 and SL-221. both are 150€ would any of these be good? what's the difference between them?

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
i found 2 used technics tables. the SL- QD33 and SL-221. both are 150€ would any of these be good? what's the difference between them?
I'd shop Patiently for a good, very clean and well-maintained and/or serviced used one, ideally where the seller is willing and able to introduce you to it, impress you and sell you on it. I like the SL-QD33 with the Technics Quartz drive very much. I'm not familiar with the SL-221, so I can't compare them.

I purchased my SL-L3 this way 4 or 5 years ago and the Quartz drive has proven very reliable. I'd jump on an excellent SL-QD33 sample myself if it was in my neighborhood, and hopefully it would turn out to be as satisfying and reliable as my current model. Bing for a good video or two on the QD33 to see if it is something that appeals -or you've probably done that already. Again, take your time and hold out for a beauty that makes you smile from the start.

Azulan

Sep 17, 2023
Visit site
I'd shop Patiently for a good, very clean and well-maintained and/or serviced used one, ideally where the seller is willing and able to introduce you to it, impress you and sell you on it. I like the SL-QD33 with the Technics Quartz drive very much. I'm not familiar with the SL-221, so I can't compare them.

I purchased my SL-L3 this way 4 or 5 years ago and the Quartz drive has proven very reliable. I'd jump on an excellent SL-QD33 sample myself if it was in my neighborhood, and hopefully it would turn out to be as satisfying and reliable as my current model. Bing for a good video or two on the QD33 to see if it is something that appeals -or you've probably done that already. Again, take your time and hold out for a beauty that makes you smile from the start.
i already ordered the QD33 :). i have a REALLY bad habit that when i see something i want i get anxious and buy it before someone else does. it was a business that sold it and the owner said there was no need for maintenance since it sounded good. looking at the pictures it looked almost brand new. now i can only wait and hope it's as good as it it looks.
i dont think the cartridge was the original. it's blue colored and says stereo

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    64 KB · Views: 11

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
i already ordered the QD33 :). i have a REALLY bad habit that when i see something i want i get anxious and buy it before someone else does. it was a business that sold it and the owner said there was no need for maintenance since it sounded good. looking at the pictures it looked almost brand new. now i can only wait and hope it's as good as it it looks.
:) Love it: Good move and good luck! Nearly everyone knows that blue and stereo are great features in audio!

Actually, finding a good cartridge is often the fun/challenge with vintage TTs. The original was probably a Technics; mine came with an Audio-Technica replacement that's worked fine.

I'm not so sure about the rare P-mount cartridge, I'm afraid. And do you really need the complication of a fully automatic turntable?

With any purchase of that age, it's best to assume the stylus is wrecked, and immediately replace it. Not the whole cartridge, just the coloured piece, which is the replaceable stylus.

Reactions: WayneKerr

Azulan

Sep 17, 2023
Visit site
I'm not so sure about the rare P-mount cartridge, I'm afraid. And do you really need the complication of a fully automatic turntable?

With any purchase of that age, it's best to assume the stylus is wrecked, and immediately replace it. Not the whole cartridge, just the coloured piece, which is the replaceable stylus.

would this be a good replacement stylus?

would this be a good replacement stylus?
Well it might be if it fits the cartridge that your turntable has already has installed. However, it’s a copy, and the least desirable conical tip. Unfortunately, from the blurry picture you posted earlier it’s impossible to tell.

I appreciate that the one you are asking about carries the model number of the turntable, so if you can be certain your purchase has the original cartridge installed then the replacement stylus should fit. However, in post #9 you stated you didn’t think it was the original! So which is it?

I‘m not sure what country you’re in, but given the cost of one LP record, if you can stretch to €40 or more then just replace the entire cartridge, with an AT like I posted the link to above, preferably the more expensive one with the elliptical stylus profile. Have you got the instructions or knowledge to balance the arm?

Perhaps @Rodolfo would like to chip in, as he was so enthusiastic about the SL-QD33?

Reactions: Al ears

Azulan

Sep 17, 2023
Visit site
Well it might be if it fits the cartridge that your turntable has already has installed. However, it’s a copy, and the least desirable conical tip. Unfortunately, from the blurry picture you posted earlier it’s impossible to tell.

I appreciate that the one you are asking about carries the model number of the turntable, so if you can be certain your purchase has the original cartridge installed then the replacement stylus should fit. However, in post #9 you stated you didn’t think it was the original! So which is it?

I‘m not sure what country you’re in, but given the cost of one LP record, if you can stretch to €40 or more then just replace the entire cartridge, with an AT like I posted the link to above, preferably the more expensive one with the elliptical stylus profile. Have you got the instructions or knowledge to balance the arm?

Perhaps @Rodolfo would like to chip in, as he was so enthusiastic about the SL-QD33?
i thought it wasn't the original cartridge because i hadnt seen any other on youtube with the same one. but thinking back they were probably all after market cartridges. and just a few minutes ago i found a qd33 test video with the same cartridge on youtube.
but i cant find any info about the original cartridge. i'll gladly spend 30bucks on the AT85EP cartridge if its better.
i dont mean to me a drag...im very passionate about this new hobby but it's very mentally straining, i have a very hard time taking in information.

Reactions: spl84
i thought it wasn't the original cartridge because i hadnt seen any other on youtube with the same one. but thinking back they were probably all after market cartridges. and just a few minutes ago i found a qd33 test video with the same cartridge on youtube.
but i cant find any info about the original cartridge. i'll gladly spend 30bucks on the AT85EP cartridge if its better.
i dont mean to me a drag...im very passionate about this new hobby but it's very mentally straining, i have a very hard time taking in information.
The 85EP will certainly be better than any stylus with a conical tip.

Sure, and I’m only trying to avoid you accidentally getting the wrong item! Audio Technica are the biggest Hifi cartridge manufacturer in Japan and have an excellent reputation. As you can see from my signature I use one myself.

Azulan

Sep 17, 2023
Visit site
Thanks everyone, i'm slowly getting a hang of this. i also ordered a record brush and record cleaner. i have some records that are full of grime and fingerprints.

spl84

Jul 17, 2023
Visit site
I'm fairly new to this hobby as well and yes it's alot of info to take in. There are just so many different components with so many different features and so much lingo, lol. Good luck with your turntable.

Azulan

Sep 17, 2023
Visit site
How important is a stylus force scale? do you all have one? I think i managed to balance my current arm just fine without it but maybe there could be minor improvements. there's so much marketing about them that seem a bit overkill. I'd rather trust AI Ears, nopiano and Gray since you've been giving me honest advice on both my threads.

Gray

Don't trust me to guide you, as I just use a stylus balance, knowing me I didn't pay anything for it.....but if I did, it must have been less than a fiver, as I've had it decades.

Electronic scales are all the rage now I hear 😆
IMG_20230601_152936_MP.jpg

IMG_20230601_152917_MP.jpg

Last edited:
Don't trust me to guide you, as I just use a stylus balance, knowing me I didn't pay anything for it.....but if I did, it must have been less than a fiver, as I've had it decades.

Electronic scales are all the rage now I hear 😆
View attachment 5272

View attachment 5275
i would agree, even one of the plastic Ortofon balances similar to above is worth investing in if you want to prolong the life of your cartridge.

Reactions: spl84 and Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts